collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reo-Coker's ability to pass the ball to a team mate rather than an opponent  (Read 11935 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Reo's passing
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »
I think that he should play next to Stan in central midfield with Ireland in front. I've been saying that for eons.

He did better on Sunday that is true but he still made basic errors such as that hilarious situation in the box. Too many times he either manages to fail to complete the pass or makes a hospital pass to a man who is being marked. He just seems to lack the vision or footballing brain to do it which is the one thing Petrov is particularly good at it. Any old clown can make the simple pass like Petrov some say. Reo Coker is most definitely not that clown. Sometimes he is but 99 times out of 100 he doesn't either see that pass or he makes the wrong one.

I genuinely see that he is a player we need to use. That doesn't mean that he is not without doubt the most frustrating player on our books. He can do so much right but his passing and often his lack of discipline are frustrating.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
His passing when under pressure is poor and he appears to lack the self awareness to realise this so doesn't play a simple game to compensate for his shortcomings.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
He needs to improve his game in 2 areas:

We've been saying this for as long as he's been with us.  I don't think he can improve to the standard we would like.  So, we just have to accept that Rio isn't that good at passing in critical areas, isn't any good at hitting the target but is very good at breaking up the play, supporting attacks and good at getting back to help out the defence.  I'm quite looking forward to seeing Ireland in that midfield with Rio giving him the ball...... just short passes mind.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
He looks as if he's shitting himself when he's got the ball at his feet.

He should get the ball back (which he does well) and then Ireland/Petrov etc should make space and get the ball off him asap.

The sooner Ireland and Delph get fit and play in the middle, the better.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
I think he gives us great energy in the middle and thought he had a great game on Sunday, often without the ball, but the amount of covering and tracking he did was one of the cornerstones of the win.

I accept he is not the best on the ball but we have plenty of talent around him to enable him to concentrate on winning it and passing it simply.

He needs a run of games which he hasn't had for a long while. I would hope we would then see the best of Ireland and Petrov higher up the pitch.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014

Obviously I'd like them both back aswell, but I also think NRC and Ireland could work well in a 4-4-2.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Reo had half a decent game sunday. But i cant believe i am saying this but i would rather Sidwell in there .... He will win more in the aerial battle. And his passing is better. (thats not hard to beat) plus he is more likely to score. The real answer as we are not gonna buy anyone is Delph ..........

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025

Obviously I'd like them both back as well, but I also think NRC and Ireland could work well in a 4-4-2.

I think NRC and Delph can work in a midfield together ....Delph playing outside with NRC and Ireland in the middle and Albrighton on the other side.

We then should have that missing bite and three engines with NRC having capable outlets across the middle to allow for greater creativity.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Without a new striker coming in, I'd like to see the 4-5-1/4-3-3 with a central trio of NRC, Petrov sitting and Ireland pushing forward.  Young and Albrighton wide and Gabby up top.  I'd then imagine Delph taking the place of either NRC or Petrov.

Offline peter w

Reo-Coker back in the team, next we'll get Luke Moore in and play him on the left of a front 3 with Gabby on the right, get Berger back in for the odd game and we're right back where we started. Just like it all never happened.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
I accept he is not the best on the ball but we have plenty of talent around him to enable him to concentrate on winning it and passing it simply.

Thats's half the problem though, he doesn't seem to realise that is his job.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
would be a great player in the championship, which is his level, or maybe a struggling prem team,
for a team with ambitions of top 6 or better he's no where near good enough.

although i do agree his game on sunday was somwhat better, and he looks like Gordon Cowans compared to Downing

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012

Thats's half the problem though, he doesn't seem to realise that is his job.

Well let's see what a run of games does for him. Maybe he will settle down and relax and do what  he does best rather than thinking he has to over-achieve and prove himself again every time he steps on to the pitch.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

NRC can easily pass the ball like Petrov does, i.e. sideways, backwards. However, often, he choose not to and can have a real good burst of pace to break forward, something alien to Petrov.

A first-teamer at the moment in my opinion.

Offline DrGonzo

I think that he should play next to Stan in central midfield with Ireland in front. I've been saying that for eons.

Is that the aeons since we signed Ireland?

And as for him playing in a 442 haven't we all been saying that 442 is dead? Didn't everyone flog MoN for his inability to see beyond that rigid structure? Ireland, Albrighton and Ash should be given free reign behind Gabby with Petrov and Reo Coker holding the midfield and Young (L) and Warnock allowed to get forward, but obviously only 1 at a time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal