collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Morgan Rogers - Signed by trinityoap
[Today at 11:53:29 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Rigadon
[Today at 11:51:24 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Steve67
[Today at 11:46:38 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:41:18 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 11:35:16 AM]

NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 11:33:19 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Now Luke Young has his say…  (Read 17918 times)

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Now Luke Young has his say…
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
It was probably due to him questioning the Moscow decision.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
I think it's a delicate balance between being liked by the players and being respected.  Does a manager keep his distance so they know who's boss, or be too friendly and risk them thinking they can take the piss?

Maybe he got that balance worng, but it seems to be the players that were not in the side having a dig, which I don't think Luke is overly.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »
In two seasons Luke Young missed starting less than a dozen PL games when availabe for selection.

Is he saying that he should have never be left out, even though we had the best derfensive record in the league until he played against Chelsea?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 10:24:39 AM »
He believed he was playing well, and I would think virtually every Villa fan believed he was playing well too.

I certainly did.  I was also very happy that we had 3 such good central defenders (Dunne, Collins, Cuellar) fighting it out for two places in central defense.  I was confounded when Cuellar suddenly turned up at right back.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »
It is clear now O`Neills management style in terms of communicating with players was very poor.
Gary Cahill said something similar in an interview before our last game with Bolton, something along the lines of "if the communication had been better, I probably wouldn't have left". I think managers have to remember that players are like kids, they live in a bubble and are not half as intelligent/mature as you'd hope them to be. Sometimes they need every now and then to be reassured and talked to.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 12:25:39 PM »
I heard a story that O'Neill told Luke that he was "weak" following his compassionate leave.

If that is true then so much for his wonderful man management that the media go on about.

If that was true I would have expected that to be in this article. There wouldn't be any point on holding back on O'Neill would there.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »
In two seasons Luke Young missed starting less than a dozen PL games when availabe for selection.

Is he saying that he should have never be left out, even though we had the best derfensive record in the league until he played against Chelsea?

You mean the game where pretty much everyone had a bad day and as for Luke, was thrown in after months in the wilderness. 

Yes the defence did have a ggod record, but the balance of the Team was wrong, especially when we played at home. Could you  see Carlos score a goal like that on Sunday?

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »
O'Neill is in the 1970's when players didn't have the power they now have.

He is Clough reincarnated but without the football intelligence.

The intelligence to be a modern Manager rather than revert to 'what might Brian have done' stuff.

Yes, I am not one of those who buy into the 'O'Neill's a clever man' bollox.

Offline glasses

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 12:58:10 PM »
Although Young scored the goal yesterday, and he did take it well, I thought he had a bit of a shocker with Pienaar and Baines coming at him. You could equally say that Cuellar would have been more defensively sound. Why wouldn't Cuellar have finished Lukes chance anyway? How can you prove it?

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 01:02:22 PM »

You mean the game where pretty much everyone had a bad day and as for Luke, was thrown in after months in the wilderness. 

Yes the defence did have a ggod record, but the balance of the Team was wrong, especially when we played at home. Could you  see Carlos score a goal like that on Sunday?

I'm saying that he isn't talented enough to be demanding he plays every game and he hasn't had to sit out many at all. He is better going forward than Carlos but not better defensively.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 01:05:32 PM »
By "demanding he plays every game" you mean "wanting a fair crack of the whip" really don't you?

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »
It is clear now O`Neills management style in terms of communicating with players was very poor.
Gary Cahill said something similar in an interview before our last game with Bolton, something along the lines of "if the communication had been better, I probably wouldn't have left". I think managers have to remember that players are like kids, they live in a bubble and are not half as intelligent/mature as you'd hope them to be. Sometimes they need every now and then to be reassured and talked to.

There may be something in that but, if there was a communication problem there was nothing stopping Cahill approaching MON himself and sorting out any issues.  This is not sticking up for MON's management style.

It all strikes me more of Cahill wishing he hadn't left and is looking for an excuse to cover up his reckless decision making.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »
I heard a story that O'Neill told Luke that he was "weak" following his compassionate leave.

If that is true then MON is a despicable human being

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »
I'm not sure I like the idea of calling your manager 'Kev'.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »
By "demanding he plays every game" you mean "wanting a fair crack of the whip" really don't you?

He played 65 games (3 sub) under O'Neill in 2 seasons. Allowing for the fact he missed the first 3 months of last season and any other injuries/suspensions he may have had in that time, I don't see how he didn't get a "fair crack of the whip". 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal