collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Now Luke Young has his say…  (Read 17859 times)

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
Now Luke Young has his say…
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:57:29 PM »
Nothing to surprise anybody really, but still interesting comments about how the previous manager was seen by senior players...

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Luke-Young-Martin-O-Neill-didn-t-give-me-a-chance-to-shine-at-Aston-Villa-article568353.html

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Now Luke Young has his say…
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:01:33 AM »
You see, that's the really disappointing thing about MON's tenure, as it seems. Whether or not a manager's decision is right, he has a duty to explain it to his players, especially those not in the team. Though I am not Luke Young's biggest fan, if I were manager I'd like to think I'd have the decency to tell him why he's not in the team, and what he has to do to get in it. Very disappointing.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:02:39 AM »
Good for him, nothing too controversial there....I hope the second half of his career with Villa proves to be a success.

Shows you what a donkey O'Neill really was.  Told he had to reduce the wage bill, he would rather off-load Young than Heskey or Sidwell.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:11:36 AM by usav »

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:05:49 AM »
We're bigger than Spurs Luke!

Leaving Luke Young out was stupid. He seems to like the club and wants to do well with us.

Offline west sussex villan

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:09:27 AM »
I've always rated Luke Young and it's good to see him back

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:15:31 AM »
A couple of interesting comments:

“There are still people ringing me left right and centre to see if I am available. I don’t believe I am available any more."

So, clubs no longer bother the chairman or manager anymore. It's straight into tap-up mode.

But Young opted to remain at Villa Park once it became clear O’Neill was close to resigning and says he is now happy to stay.

Did anyone know that MON was close to resigning until he actually resigned? Interesting. Maybe some of the players were actively pushing him out.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:48:13 AM »
I think the most telling part of that interview is his opinion on Kev Mac. I think its essential that he remains involved with the first team under the new manager, because he’s obviously got a lot of really good ideas about the game and all the players appear to really like and respect him.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »
“It is refreshing now to have the kind of feeling that if you are playing well you might keep your place.

Sums it up really. Here he is not even  saying you should be guaranteed a place if you play well, but that under O`Neill you could be as good as frozen out and left with no hope.
He believed he was playing well, and I would think virtually every Villa fan believed he was playing well too. Yet not only was he being kept out, it had reached the stage where there was virtually no hope of playing whatever he did.
It is clear now O`Neills management style in terms of communicating with players was very poor. However, we seem to hear this over and over again with many managers. It never ceases to amaze me that that those appointed to manage the players very often dont do this. I would have thought continual communication with the extremely valuable and highly paid personnel in your charge was one of the most important aspects of the job.

Offline eastie

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »
Similar story to sorensen and maloney who both said o neill never spoke ro them in months and never explained why- as a manager you cannot treat people like that and command respect.

Good riddance to o neill !

Offline bob

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 08:15:14 AM »
I heard a story that O'Neill told Luke that he was "weak" following his compassionate leave.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »
I am just glad luke young is back in the team and playing well.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:49:55 AM »
I think the most telling part of that interview is his opinion on Kev Mac. I think its essential that he remains involved with the first team under the new manager, because he’s obviously got a lot of really good ideas about the game and all the players appear to really like and respect him.

That would soon change if he was picking the team full time and they were not getting a game.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 09:51:21 AM »
I heard a story that O'Neill told Luke that he was "weak" following his compassionate leave.

If that is true then so much for his wonderful man management that the media go on about.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »
However, we seem to hear this over and over again with many managers. It never ceases to amaze me that that those appointed to manage the players very often dont do this. I would have thought continual communication with the extremely valuable and highly paid personnel in your charge was one of the most important aspects of the job.

It is odd, very old school but very common. I think it's down to knowing that you're going to have disappoint them by not picking them so feeling it makes it easier if you don't get too close to them.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 09:59:38 AM »
The real O'Neill is coming out slowly but surely.

Why spend £5 million on a player to freeze him out afterwards ?

It does make you realise why Randy lost confidence in MON's ability to spend properly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal