collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Non-league day  (Read 27912 times)

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
Re: Non-league day
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 12:16:35 AM »
Well i think i will gop and watch the Villa then.

Pelsall Villa. vs Bardon Hill Sports in the FA Vase.

This is a great idea, all credit to the guys who have put all the work and effort into it.

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 12:51:44 AM »
I live in Reading.  Who can I go and watch other than Reading?

Click on the link in the first post, go to fixtures and take it from there. FA Vase is a good start.

Ascot United v Staines Lammas is the nearest I think.
Or Maidenhead Utd V Bromley, 15:00. I'm planning on going to watch them this season at least once, even if the ticket will cost me the same as I paid for Villa-Everton on Sunday.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »

This is a great idea, all credit to the guys who have put all the work and effort into it.

Might do this one instead.

Offline Chico Carew

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 09:01:20 AM »
I'll be going to Belper Town v Loughborough Dynamos.Come on you Nailers!!!!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »
Canvey island v tooting & mitcham being as though i am down this way i will go to this one.

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »
I'm at Eastbourne v Darlington...the great escape begins.

Incidentally, for any south of the city - one local non-league club in need of a boost are the newly-formed Bromsgrove Sporting - created by fans after the sad and bitter demise of one-time Conference club Bromsgrove Rovers. They hope to be playing at the old ground eventually but are starting off with home games in Mid Comb 2 in Studley.

http://www.bromsgrovesporting.co.uk/

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 01:00:15 PM »

Having in inbuilt distain for Pelsall Villa, the clan may be partaking in Rushall vs Glapwell this weekend.

Offline Bungle

• http://www.loftys-stores.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 06:23:30 PM »
I will be attending Bromsgrove Sporting v. Chelmsley Town @ The Beehive Stadium Studley.  It will be Sporting's first home league match (mid comb Division 2).  Hoping for another home win after last Saturday's 2-0 v Stretton Eagles.

Offline Pete

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 07:09:49 PM »
I'm looking at Stalybridge v Gainsborough, supporting Gainsborough obviously. I'm currently texting around possible companions, don't fancy it by myself. The best bet is a Burnley fan who likes his non league.

Offline FSF

Will you be backing Non League Day?
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 11:13:39 AM »
A campaign that started in a small way on Facebook, the brainchild of QPR and Harrow Borough fan James Doe, has really gathered momentum, and we at the FSF are more than happy to lend our backing to a worthy cause. We’ve even managed to get the support of Conference sponsors Blue Square Bet who were keen to get involved, but right now you’re probably asking ‘What’s Non League Day?’

In short, the Premier League and Championship, like all top divisions across Europe, schedule fixture breaks for international weekends. This previously meant that fans of teams in those leagues could attend their national team’s matches (or watch them on the telly) and not miss any of the action at their club. Now that England will be playing some of their matches (like this week's game against Bulgaria) on Friday evenings, however, most fans have nothing to do the following day. There’s no match to go to, and no England game to watch. The idea was conceived, therefore, to encourage fans whose teams were not playing on Saturday September 4th to get along to their local lower division side instead, and thus the idea of Non League Day was born. Pretty simple, really.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/non-league-day

We think that given the current financial climate within the game, clubs in the lower reaches can do with all the support they can get. Teams away from the top divisions, particularly further down the pyramid, way past the Conference North and South, often only continue to exist because of hard-working volunteers giving up their own time and energy. We have to stress that the idea behind this isn’t trying to get fans to change their allegiance, somehow convince them that non-league football is purer or more worthy of their support than the upper reaches of the league, and nor is it any sort of protest at ‘modern football. It’s just a great opportunity to promote grass roots football to the masses, and remind people that there are small clubs in their neck of the woods that could really do with some support.

With tickets and refreshments at a fraction of the cost you’re used to paying, as well as the ability to watch a match while standing, and even the opportunity to swap ends at half time, why not ‘adopt’ a team for the day? Who knows, you may even enjoy yourself and return from time to time on international breaks, midweek cup fixtures or when you’re not making a long away trip.

Blue Square Bet have offered to sweeten the deal with a couple of cracking prizes on offer.

Get along to www.fsf.org.uk/non-league-day/ to register your support for Non League Day (including the club you support, and who you’ll be supporting on the 4th September) and be automatically entered into a free draw to win a VIP package for two to the Conference play-off final in May (including pre-match meal, drinks and the best seats in the house), along with £50 worth of free bets.

Two runners-up will also receive a pair of tickets to the final each, and £25 of free bets.

You can’t say fairer than that.

Get along to www.nonleagueday.co.uk to find your local fixture this weekend - with more than 500 matches there's bound to be one near you.

Offline Hammer

Re: Will you be backing Non League Day?
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
What a fantastic idea. I might well do something for this.

Was very sad to discover my old home-town team Ashford Town (of the Kent variety) had gone to the wall this summer, although they look like they'll be back next season. Will see if there's any decent looking games in my area on Saturday.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: Will you be backing Non League Day?
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
We already have a thread on Non-league day, a few of us are heading to Stourbridge to watch Causeway, others have already said they will be going somewhere local to them.

It's a very good idea, I'm glad it has gained the momentum it deserves.

Offline TheBarneyArmy

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
As I'm working on Saturday I made my contribution last night in the mighty Southern League Prem derby, as Halesowen Town (the mighty Yeltz) turned over Stourbridge 2-0, Stefan Moore got the first!!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »
Hoping to have a wonder down to Triplex to see Pilkington XXX v Coleshill Town.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »
Might be Cambridge City vs Stourbridge. Top of the table clash

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal