collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread  (Read 53604 times)

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
I thought one incident in the second half summed up NRC perfectly. He won the ball really well in our half, fed Young then bust a gut to get on the end of his return pass only to fluff the cross.

Agreed. NRC is aggressive, a good ball-winner and he drives forward powerfully, but time after time he messes up the final pass.

Not as often as some fans like to make out though.
He takes risks I'll admit, he'd often be safer playing backwards like some Mon stalwarts do more often than not
You did see the incident that Chris is referring to? Jagielka lying on his back in the middle of the penalty area with Young unmarked in the middle and Reo-Coker STILL manages to put the pass straight at the prone defender when it would have been easier to avoid him.

Happens far too often. If we could combine Reo-Coker's athleticism with everything else that Petrov gives us then we would have a brilliant player. As it is, we're clearly better off with a tiring Petrov than Reo-Coker there.

I think that combination hopefully could be Delph.
Hopefully.

I think it's a big shame that we can't have seem a midfield three of Petrov -  Ireland - Delph at the moment. Would be a little bit of everything.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2010, 03:18:45 PM »

To frustrate you even more Dave.....how about

Milner..............................................................Delph

Albrighton.....................Ireland............................AYoung

Gabby/Delf.

Now that would have been some team.

Still got 4 of them though.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »

To frustrate you even more Dave.....how about

Milner..............................................................Delph

Albrighton.....................Ireland............................AYoung

Gabby/Delf.

Now that would have been some team.

Still got 4 of them though.
Yup, something that had occured. Could have been the best midfield in the country. As it is, we'll just have to go and get the next Milner instead.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2010, 03:23:19 PM »

Jordan Henderson?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »
  Jordan Henderson?

I don't know if he's the next Milner or not, but every time I've seen him play (which, admittedly, isn't that many time) he's stood out as very promising.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »
Jagielka lying on his back in the middle of the penalty area with Young unmarked in the middle and Reo-Coker STILL manages to put the pass straight at the prone defender when it would have been easier to avoid him.

I found that frustrating because Jagielka falling like that basically opened things up for NRC to take a shot.  Being unselfish is one thing but sometimes you have to go for it yourself.  I thought that was one of those moments.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
TBF to Reo and what they picked up in the commentary and highlights was he was looking back at the ball when the slip happened so he didn't see it himself. Doesn't excuse the bad ball afterwards though.

Offline peter w

« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2010, 08:29:41 PM »
When NRC fisrt came he gave our midfield the energy it had been lacking for yeas under O'Clown, but as we improved year on year he became less needed. The fact that we are looking to him again shows we have gone back to his standard rather than him improving.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2010, 10:05:37 PM »
Winning ugly at home, I like it. We certainly didn't do enough of that in home games last season.

I'd happily take another ten scrappy home wins like that this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »
When NRC fisrt came he gave our midfield the energy it had been lacking for yeas under O'Clown, but as we improved year on year he became less needed. The fact that we are looking to him again shows we have gone back to his standard rather than him improving.

I still think it's more he's relatively decent still in a 4-5-1 formation that will bring out the best in
Ireland.

And Delph's broken until next year.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #220 on: August 31, 2010, 03:42:07 AM »
An evertonian view.  Well written but I doubt many will agree with their view.
http://www.dixies60.com/2010/08/30/dixies-60-match-report-aston-villa-1-0-everton/?

Offline peter w

« Reply #221 on: August 31, 2010, 10:21:34 AM »
An evertonian view.  Well written but I doubt many will agree with their view.
http://www.dixies60.com/2010/08/30/dixies-60-match-report-aston-villa-1-0-everton/?

You're right - total bollocks. "Villa sat back"? We couldn't get the ball or hold onto it when we did. But I'm sure NRC is the answer to that age old question.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #222 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »
In many respects, this was just as an impressive display as we saw against West Ham.  I was worried that we had lost that mental toughness and 'hard to beat' edge we had under MON, but there it was for all to see.  Albrighton also impressed me as there will be games like that where he sees less of the ball and can't influence things as he'd like, but instead needs to get stuck in and that's exactly what he did - excellent attitude.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #223 on: August 31, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
Who was the ref on Sunday because he seemed determined to ruin a really good premiership contest? My only real gripe with the match.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal