collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our sources say.....  (Read 38250 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Our sources say.....
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 02:20:04 AM »
The right guy is out there, but getting him takes time, and when he arrives he will take the club forward.
My guess is Carlos Quieroz. He has some unfinished business (Euro qualifiers next week) but as I've mentioned several times now, I think he would work very well with the current board and would jump at the chance to join Villa.

He'd be a super hire Mark. A top coach with a lot to fulfil in his career.
Add to that his knowledge of players around the world, I'm sure he'd offer a great deal to the club. I'm sure Man Utd signing Bebe last week wasn't lost on the board, not to mention the story of Quieroz wanting to sign Pepe at Real Madrid for next to nothing. They turned him down at the time then signed him for £26m a couple of years later.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 02:22:56 AM »
Whatever the circumstances of the club at the time of a managerial appointment, if the man doesn't have that understanding of Aston Villa in his blood, he'll struggle.
Which of the umpteen candidates listed on the other thread would you say have that understanding of Aston Villa in their blood?

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 02:23:05 AM »
I think that having a manager who understands what it is to be Aston Villa manager is incredibly important. It isn't the same as being manager of any other club in the world, we are unique. It also isn't the same as just being able to speak about the club in glowing terms.
How is it unique? What additional responsibilities does it carry that no other management job has? How did this come into play when we appointed Graham Turner, or O'Leary, or Billy McNeill?

It stems from being the founders of the football league and having been the most successful team in the most important football nation for the majority of our history. For some people its ancient history, for others it's who we are. Very few English clubs have earned the right to be mentioned in the same breath as Aston Villa. Whatever the circumstances of the club at the time of a managerial appointment, if the man doesn't have that understanding of Aston Villa in his blood, he'll struggle.

I think that's going to play into it. For me a lot was revealed when the General called out MON for acting bigger than the club and they don't want that again. It has to be club first and everyone pulling in the same direction. Which is the way it should be. Someone who shares the vision. The history and heritage of this club is fabulous, but it shouldn't be a determining factor in our appointment. Let the board and fans protect the history. The new manager will have enough on his plate dealing with making us successful today and in the future.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the manager needs to protect our history, I'm saying that the unique nature of Aston Villa stems from those historic roots. All football clubs are not the same, they are not made equal. A candidate might be the ideal man to run Daihatsu but he wouldn't necessarily be the right man for Rolls Royce.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 02:25:17 AM »
You really don't get it tonight do you?
Get what? TV has it spot on: it's about getting someone on board who is committed, agrees with the objectives and strategy, and who can bring experience and influence to bear in attempting to achieve them. 

And that's more or less it. It's a big job, at a club which if handled properly can hit the heights, but which is also an institution and which for over 130 years has had a reputation for doing things right. It's not a stepping stone en route to a better job, and it's not just one more page on a CV.

Good. I'm glad the board are seeing it that way. That's my fear with the likes of Jol. As good as could be he always strikes me as someone who is looking for the next big job. Maybe I'm mistaken in that, but he's bounced around a lot in recent years (obviously Spurs was not of his doing). I want to have a manager who understands the "plan", not this 5 year plan nonsense. That there is a larger objective out there that demands success while upholding everything good that we know we are and have been. And that he, like the board are in it for the long haul. I think that's where MON royally fucked up when he wanted out for Liverpool. The board instantly knew right there that the relationship could not work any longer as he no longer shared Randy's vision.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 02:26:42 AM »
The right guy is out there, but getting him takes time, and when he arrives he will take the club forward.
My guess is Carlos Quieroz. He has some unfinished business (Euro qualifiers next week) but as I've mentioned several times now, I think he would work very well with the current board and would jump at the chance to join Villa.

Add to that his knowledge of players around the world, I'm sure he'd offer a great deal to the club. I'm sure Man Utd signing Bebe last week wasn't lost on the board, not to mention the story of Quieroz wanting to sign Pepe at Real Madrid for next to nothing. They turned him down at the time then signed him for £26m a couple of years later.

Not meaning to get carried away here Mark, but wouldn't having someone at the club with a Wenger like eye for talent be just brilliant?

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 02:29:59 AM »
Whatever the circumstances of the club at the time of a managerial appointment, if the man doesn't have that understanding of Aston Villa in his blood, he'll struggle.
Which of the umpteen candidates listed on the other thread would you say have that understanding of Aston Villa in their blood?

I've no idea but I do believe the ability to understand Aston Villa Football Club as more than a name on the classified results is a prerequisite for a successful Villa manager.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 02:30:04 AM »
I don't see though that Queiroz fulfills vd's criteria of having an understanding of Aston Villa in his blood. But then I'm not sure that any of the candidates do, apart from Kevin MacDonald.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 02:32:36 AM »
I don't see though that Queiroz fulfills vd's criteria of having an understanding of Aston Villa in his blood. But then I'm not sure that any of the candidates do, apart from Kevin MacDonald.

I don't really agree that they need to have any Villa in their blood at all in my opinion. Alex Ferguson didn't have any Man U in his blood when he joined from Aberdeen, but as big as he is now in the game, he would never consider himself bigger than the club. That's what I hope our new manager would grow into.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 02:34:12 AM »
I've no idea but I do believe the ability to understand Aston Villa Football Club as more than a name on the classified results is a prerequisite for a successful Villa manager.
This is the trouble with abstract ideas like this, it's impossible to define and therefore very difficult to tell whether or not someone has it. That's why I'm uneasy about it being a big factor in the selection process.

I would expect the successful candidate to be passionate about the job without necessarily having to be passionate about the club, at least to begin with. It's unreasonable to expect someone with no previous connection to the club to have that.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 02:36:19 AM »

Do you know the nature of his suspension for the Portugal team. Is he involved in the training and preparation for the 2 international games in any way or is Olivieira on his own?

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 02:54:45 AM »
This is the trouble with abstract ideas like this, it's impossible to define and therefore very difficult to tell whether or not someone has it. That's why I'm uneasy about it being a big factor in the selection process.

I would expect the successful candidate to be passionate about the job without necessarily having to be passionate about the club, at least to begin with. It's unreasonable to expect someone with no previous connection to the club to have that.

I'm sorry, I haven't made myself clear. I am talking about a candidate that has the ability to understand the special nature of this club, rather than someone who comes to the table with it already fully formed.

I'm not saying it is easy to determine who has that in their nature. What I am saying is that trying to determine who has, should be an important part of the selection process, along with other more prosaic qualities we would expect of a Villa manager. I agree it is difficult to tell who has it but that shouldn't stop them trying.

A Villa manager has to truly believe in his heart of hearts that he is at one of the most important football clubs in the world. Otherwise he'll struggle to carry it off.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 04:03:45 AM »
but when i see a chairman getting rid of the best manager since big ron (league wise), it hurts
Got rid? He walked out on us, and don't forget that.

And the fact he's talking out his arse, don't forget that. Best league wise since BFR? Please.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 04:11:58 AM »

We don't know, we've not interviewed them yet. But they're football people. At least one will get "it", no doubt more. You can talk about this club and fill a room with platitudes exhualting our greatness, but it means nothing if they have a hollow ring to it as O’Leary’s did.

Saunders got it without being a Villa man. It’s possible, no, highly likely, that there is a candidate out there with the spark of genius and the knowledge of the club, its ethos, what we are about and all we’ve done.

In the next two weeks I think we’ll bag him. I have full confidence in Randy Lerner.

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2010, 07:22:25 AM »
Koeman strongly linked today and on the shortlist apparently!

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 07:53:31 AM »
Perhaps we could try and stop such a microscopic analysis of each word that was relayed to Dave and which he has kindly passed on to us?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal