collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Mister E
[Today at 11:52:56 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 11:44:42 AM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:23:45 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:18:16 AM]

Liverpool by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:08:34 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by darren woolley
[Today at 10:50:14 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:33:06 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by JD
[Today at 09:58:11 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Mister E
[Today at 11:52:56 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:49:49 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by AV84
[Today at 11:47:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 11:44:42 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:35:50 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:30:13 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Monty
[Today at 11:28:42 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:23:45 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our sources say.....  (Read 38361 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Our sources say.....
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 01:12:48 AM »
I guess it's about finding somebody that will stick around rather than use the Villa job as a stepping stone, Hilts. Somebody that's not just doing it for the money (Sven?), somebody the Chairman can trust with his money, somebody that gives a damn.
And who would be daft enough to admit to anything else in a job interview? And what difference will it make in practical terms? I mean, no doubt Kevin MacDonald is more aware than any other candidate how important the Villa job is (whatever that means) but is he the best man for the job? Demonstrably not.
I would hope they're looking for a long term relationship rather than somebody that they'll need to replace in two years time.

Offline madirishvillain

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 01:19:09 AM »
long time lurker, first time poster

the reason this is my first post?

Mr Lerner WILL appoint the new manager.....and he WILL appoint the new manager on TUESDAY

why is that?

well its after the transfer window and he wont have to spend any money

the same reason MON left

we arent really that thick on here that we cant see that?

Bob Bradley - should be good, never managed a club side in his life - let the OLD DAYS roll
again

sorry for posting the above

cant believe people cant see what is staring them in the eyes!!!

1 "signing" this summer

another 2 "signings" to come when Ashley goes to spuds

and we cant see the wool?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 01:22:32 AM »
I think that having a manager who understands what it is to be Aston Villa manager is incredibly important. It isn't the same as being manager of any other club in the world, we are unique. It also isn't the same as just being able to speak about the club in glowing terms.
How is it unique? What additional responsibilities does it carry that no other management job has? How did this come into play when we appointed Graham Turner, or O'Leary, or Billy McNeill?

The last two didn't understand, which is why they failed. Ron Saunders and Sir Graham understood, which in part is why they succeeded. BFR, Brian Little, and even John Gregory understood. I don't think O'Neill did.
It seems to me that we'd better get ready for Kevin MacDonald, Curbishley or Southgate because what this points to is someone who has been at the club before. How else is a candidate supposed to have this insight into what this specific job entails?  Apart from those three, I'm not sure there is anyone else out there who has any connection with the club.

It's too easy to draw a correlation between the successful managers and those who had this "understanding" of the job because it becomes a truism. And if there is no correlation then it doesn't make any difference.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 01:25:21 AM »
even John Gregory understood. I don't think O'Neill did.

It seems to me that we'd better get ready for Kevin MacDonald, Curbishley or Southgate because what this points to is someone who has been at the club before. How else is a candidate supposed to have this insight into what this specific job entails?  Apart from those three, I'm not sure there is anyone else out there who has any connection with the club.

It's too easy to draw a correlation between the successful managers and those who had this "understanding" of the job because it becomes a truism. And if there is no correlation then it doesn't make any difference.

You really don't get it tonight do you?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 01:28:04 AM »
I guess it's about finding somebody that will stick around rather than use the Villa job as a stepping stone, Hilts. Somebody that's not just doing it for the money (Sven?), somebody the Chairman can trust with his money, somebody that gives a damn.

Edit: Cheers, Dave.

I think that's it Mark. Everyone who applies is going to want the job and say the right things. But in an interview it's about separating the bullshitters from the true candidates who see the entire picture. I said this before but I think the board want to expand themselves more aggressively outside of the UK because for the most part that's been untapped territory for us in the past 25 years. The process is going to be gradual, and the defeat in Europe this week is a massive blow to those intentions. Still, I think, there will be some strong candidates that will emerge this week that will ultimately "get it" and buy into what we are trying to achieve short, medium an long term.

Yes, and thanks Dave. It's been a testing 10 days all told for all of us, and we all want the same thing despite our various position on a number of topics. The appointment of a manager is a massive deal for us, and it has to be handled properly. The timing of MON's departure and the proximity to the transfer deadline has us all on edge. I'm sure it will work out well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:31:17 AM by toronto villa »

Offline madirishvillain

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »
sorry

my first post is basically bad about the club

but when i see a chairman getting rid of the best manager since big ron (league wise), it hurts

it hurts that since the "big crest of a wave result" v west ham (who are lucky that there will be 3 teams even worse than them)

that we get hit by 6, not a one off bad result as we got tanked 7-1 last year by Chelsea, by a pish poor outfit like Newcastle

then we follow that up with that crap v Rapid

and our chairman sits there a not a question of him and what he is now doing to this club

lets be honest here

we have a choice (and this is the BEST choice)

between bradley and Sven

i hate what Aston Villa do to my heart

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 01:41:16 AM »
I've been having a few discussions with sources close to the Villa today, and here's the curent state of play:

Due to the timing of Martin's departure Kevin Mac was given the job on a short-term basis to provide stability and continuity. His knowledge of the players and success with the reserve team made this the logical choice, despite the last couple of results.

Interviews for the job will be taking place early next week. A manager could have been appointed already, but we don't want just anyone - we need someone who understands how important the job of Aston Villa manager is. The right guy is out there, but getting him takes time, and when he arrives he will take the club forward.

Above all the overall thinking, the long-term plans and ambitions of everyone at Villa Park haven't changed.

Perhaps these interviews should have been taking place soon after MON jumped ship. By the time someone is brought in the transfer window is likely to be closed. A cynic might argue that may well have been the board's thinking all along. We badly need a defensive midfielder and cover at full back I'd argue to have any kind of decent season.

I guess it looks like that any of those available - Sven, Bradley etc arent being considered. I think Kevin McDonald should be kindly told that this gig isnt for him either. Lets be honest about it what other management job in the EPL would he be considered for or Bradley for that matter?

Which leads me to hope that it must be someone currently under contract. The Nzogbia move has fallen through - could McLeish be persuade to cross the city? Id argue Walter Smith has a better record than McLeish but I think either appointment lacks ambition.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 01:46:21 AM »
how can you react that fast? If you've ever had to deal with an employee leaving your company you would understand how hard it is get everything together and make a solid appointment. And that's at lower levels. Hiring a football manager of a PL club would be much harder than if this was a team in League 2. The expectations are so much higher and the demands so much greater. The transfer window compresses everything, but you cannot make an important hire with only that in mind, or even as primary concern. Quite frankly I would sooner make the right hire and go with what we have squad wise until January than make a rush appointment. It's very frustrating for all of us, but the board are going about this the right way given all of the conditions they have to deal with.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 01:54:43 AM »
Get what? TV has it spot on: it's about getting someone on board who is committed, agrees with the objectives and strategy, and who can bring experience and influence to bear in attempting to achieve them.  If that's what they mean by understanding the importance of the Villa job then fair enough but the same can be said of pretty much any club looking to appoint a new manager. The candidate with the best track record and the most convincing approach at interview will, or should, get the job.

As soon as I hear phrases about undefinable qualities like "an understanding of the importance of the Villa job", and vd talking about the uniqueness of the job, then alarm bells start ringing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:00:04 AM by hilts_coolerking »

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 02:01:51 AM »
I think that having a manager who understands what it is to be Aston Villa manager is incredibly important. It isn't the same as being manager of any other club in the world, we are unique. It also isn't the same as just being able to speak about the club in glowing terms.
How is it unique? What additional responsibilities does it carry that no other management job has? How did this come into play when we appointed Graham Turner, or O'Leary, or Billy McNeill?

It stems from being the founders of the football league and having been the most successful team in the most important football nation for the majority of our history. For some people its ancient history, for others it's who we are. Very few English clubs have earned the right to be mentioned in the same breath as Aston Villa. Whatever the circumstances of the club at the time of a managerial appointment, if the man doesn't have that understanding of Aston Villa in his blood, he'll struggle.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 02:11:17 AM »
The right guy is out there, but getting him takes time, and when he arrives he will take the club forward.
My guess is Carlos Quieroz. He has some unfinished business (Euro qualifiers next week) but as I've mentioned several times now, I think he would work very well with the current board and would jump at the chance to join Villa.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 02:12:17 AM »

It stems from being the founders of the football league and having been the most successful team in the most important football nation for the majority of our history. For some people its ancient history, for others it's who we are. Very few English clubs have earned the right to be mentioned in the same breath as Aston Villa. Whatever the circumstances of the club at the time of a managerial appointment, if the man doesn't have that understanding of Aston Villa in his blood, he'll struggle.

I think that's going to play into it. For me a lot was revealed when the General called out MON for acting bigger than the club and they don't want that again. It has to be club first and everyone pulling in the same direction. Which is the way it should be. Someone who shares the vision. The history and heritage of this club is fabulous, but it shouldn't be a determining factor in our appointment. Let the board and fans protect the history. The new manager will have enough on his plate dealing with making us successful today and in the future.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 02:13:36 AM »
The right guy is out there, but getting him takes time, and when he arrives he will take the club forward.
My guess is Carlos Quieroz. He has some unfinished business (Euro qualifiers next week) but as I've mentioned several times now, I think he would work very well with the current board and would jump at the chance to join Villa.

He'd be a super hire Mark. A top coach with a lot to fulfil in his career.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 02:14:28 AM »
Get what? TV has it spot on: it's about getting someone on board who is committed, agrees with the objectives and strategy, and who can bring experience and influence to bear in attempting to achieve them. 

And that's more or less it. It's a big job, at a club which if handled properly can hit the heights, but which is also an institution and which for over 130 years has had a reputation for doing things right. It's not a stepping stone en route to a better job, and it's not just one more page on a CV.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »
but when i see a chairman getting rid of the best manager since big ron (league wise), it hurts
Got rid? He walked out on us, and don't forget that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal