collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mr Ireland last night  (Read 10253 times)

Offline sfx412

Mr Ireland last night
« on: August 27, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
Now the hiatus has died down a little, was I the only one who thought Ireland looked the part for spells, and long spells at that
Only his second game in an ever changing side, he looked the part at times showed some impressive skills and offers plenty we have not seen before.
His fitness and at times his confidence looked suspect but he didn't look the rich man's Steven Hendrie some have tagged him.
He does love the quick one two, which seemed beyond some of his team mates and he certainly has the eye to find the gaps and run into them.
On first impression alone, I thought yes please. I hope he keeps improving as he gets to know the ever changing squad around him.
I also remain impressed by Albrighton who despite a poor game at Newcastle looks the most direct and dangerous player we have. Certainly a player worth working on.

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: Mr Ireland last night
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 06:23:33 PM »
Now the hiatus has died down a little, was I the only one who thought Ireland looked the part for spells, and long spells at that
Only his second game in an ever changing side, he looked the part at times showed some impressive skills and offers plenty we have not seen before.
His fitness and at times his confidence looked suspect but he didn't look the rich man's Steven Hendrie some have tagged him.
He does love the quick one two, which seemed beyond some of his team mates and he certainly has the eye to find the gaps and run into them.
On first impression alone, I thought yes please. I hope he keeps improving as he gets to know the ever changing squad around him.
I also remain impressed by Albrighton who despite a poor game at Newcastle looks the most direct and dangerous player we have. Certainly a player worth working on.

Steven Hendrie? I hope Ireland can score as many as he potted!

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »
He was playing far too deep most of the time but I don't think he can really be blamed for that.

I think he tried to play more through-balls than the whole team attempted last season.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:25:45 PM »
Definitley agree about both players. Especially Albrighton. Considering it was Ireland's second game I thought he did brilliantly, considering he seemed to be playing behind NRC and Petrov and had to be covering a piss-poor defence for the 90 minutes.

Offline Fingers

• GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »
Thought he showed glimpses of class.  Always made himself available, one and two touch football and always had time on the ball.  Reminded me a bit of Paul Scholes.  Sadly some of our players didn't seem on his wavelength.

Online The Left Side

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
He did look good last night, let's hope he gets his match fitness back quickly and pull the rest of the team by their bootstraps, he certainly has had an interesting first few games!

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
Looked composed on the ball, was better when he was further forward,would've rather seen him in that position than Ash,with NRC covering him,think he would link up well with Delph eventually.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 06:38:07 PM »
Looked composed on the ball, was better when he was further forward,would've rather seen him in that position than Ash,with NRC covering him,think he would link up well with Delph eventually.
It's such a shame. A midfield or Ireland - Delph - Milner with Ash - Albrighton - Gabby ahead of them would have beautiful.

Just need to get Delph fit and find another Milner. Should be easy.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 06:43:47 PM »
Think he did OK. Went missing for much of the second half

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
He's going to be a great player at VP.

He clearly has a footballers brain - a great touch and positional sense.

In both games so far, he's played too deep, but new Management should see to it that he plays further advanced and can add some goals / assists and much needed guile to the team in the last 3rd of the pitch.

Online jembob

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 07:01:32 PM »
I thought he looked like he's just what we need but was clearly rusty and (surprise, surprise) out of position. Once we get sorted out he'll be a real player as long as his team mates can learn to think as quick as him. At the moment only Ash and Albrighton look like being anywhere near capable of anticipating what he'll do.

The poor sod must be wondering what he's got involved with after the last couple of games!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:03:40 PM by jembob »

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »
Think he did OK. Went missing for much of the second half

Who never?

Online darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »
He will do ok, can't wait untill delph returns along side him.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »
Looked like he has already developed a really good understanding with Young.

I just hope we play him directly behind the striker and have Young on the left and Albrighton on the right. Give Downing the odd game to keep the others fresh or propose a swap deal to Spurs - him for Bentley.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 08:21:48 PM »
His vision for a pass was excellent. The Collins through ball in particular.

If we give him a good platform on Sunday, by having Stan and NRC central, allowing him a freer reign, then we may be alright.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal