collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The defence and changes  (Read 9644 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
The defence and changes
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:11:02 AM »
I do not care who the manager is or the players

You simply cannot play 4 games with 4 almost completely different set ups

I am sick and tired of this bullshit about resting players - all it does is give the players and coaches an excuse for thier ineptitude

Tweak midfield and attack to suit the game and the opposition - the last 3 games have looked like our back 5 were complete strangers and it resulted in them playing like it

Stop fucking about and play the first team in every game including cups unless we play significantly weaker opposition

Offline TheFoolio888

Re: The defence and changes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
Four centre backs in one defence says it all.

Offline Captain Trips

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »
All there goals came from our left side.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »
Lots of trouble last night was everytime they attacked a wing they had two players on one and they looked like scoring, if they were better they coulda put a few more past us easily. Really should have gone for this game from the start, Alrbrighton should have started and fonz should have come on for Gabby. People saying it was Heskeys best game, really nothing to brag about there, ball hit him once and he flung himself on the floor. Oh and he missed an open goal. Not convinced with petrov coker and ireland in the midfield. Anyone know the formation we took up front when Gabby went off?

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
Lots of trouble last night was everytime they attacked a wing they had two players on one and they looked like scoring, if they were better they coulda put a few more past us easily. Really should have gone for this game from the start, Alrbrighton should have started and fonz should have come on for Gabby. People saying it was Heskeys best game, really nothing to brag about there, ball hit him once and he flung himself on the floor. Oh and he missed an open goal. Not convinced with petrov coker and ireland in the midfield. Anyone know the formation we took up front when Gabby went off?

There was no cover for the full backs because he played three narrow midfielders who kept falling over each other they were so close. Young was playing in front of them and two narrow forwards.

We could all see the dangers coming from wide and that Beye in particular was struggling in an unfamiliar position and he did nothing about it.

It was an appalling formation and inept management.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »
Four centre backs in one defence says it all.

And still giving away free headers.

Offline RickySlade

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:46:06 AM »
Our defence has looked beyond lightweight so far this season - even moments against a shite West Ham team lay the seeds of concern.  I was always pro Davies previously and I'm not sure whether it is just lack of games, but he has looked absolutely tripe.  Beye too has looked abysmal.  If the geordies can stick 6 up us, Rapid another 3, what the hell are a team like Chelsea or United going to do to us?!  We need some direction.  A leader.  And a settled bloody defence.  I'm sick of centre backs playing at right back.  Centre backs playing at left back.  It's a joke.  A very bad joke.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »
I reckon if you'd asked every single Villa fan in the world to pick a team not one of them would have come up with selection we ended up with last night. If we had played Young, Cuellar, Collins and Warnock across the back we would have won the game.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »
I cannot help but note the irony of people crying out for a settled defence  (which I 100% agree with) when last season there was a clamour for MON to be resting players.

In fairness to K-Mac, there hve been injuries to key defenders so he has been forced to chop and change it.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
I cannot help but note the irony of people crying out for a settled defence  (which I 100% agree with) when last season there was a clamour for MON to be resting players.

In fairness to K-Mac, there hve been injuries to key defenders so he has been forced to chop and change it.

There's a bit of a difference between resting players in March and in August.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »
I mentioned id the West Ham post match thread that we did have a few shakey defensive moments, which seems to have been an early sign of what we've seen in the last two games.  It seems that K-Mac can't organise a defence, even if he can get us playing decent attacking football.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »
Least we know Beye shouldnt be anywhere near the first team. I always thought Davies would come good,but i'm not sure if he ever will now.

After Gab went off it seemed obvious to put Ash and Albrighton on wings as the fullbacks were exposed,and have Ireland behind Heskey with the other two holding behind.

When the final whistle went,my first thought was,we won't be seeing European football at VP for a while.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »
The defence were a shambles last night everytime the ball came near beye i had my heart in my mouth.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »
Every time the narrow midfielders went to help to full back they switched and we were in serious trouble again! Need to re think the whole strategy, Kev Mac had a bit of a MON night only worse, diddnt think you'd ever hear that!

Offline Captain Trips

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
After Gab went off it seemed obvious to put Ash and Albrighton on wings as the fullbacks were exposed,and have Ireland behind Heskey with the other two holding behind.

I said exactly that at the time of the substitution, having seen Cuellar facing two players every time they attacked down our right. Seemed obvious to me that the danger would come via the wings. However I am not a football manager, so the formatiom remained as it was. A back 4 and then some others further up the pitch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal