collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why this debacle is epitome of our current plight  (Read 3218 times)

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
Why this debacle is epitome of our current plight
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »
Since MON walked out and the debate has raged on here on his actions and the consequences to the Club, the last game has saw to highlight the shambles we find ourselves in both off and on the pitch thanks to his departure and the legacy of his reign.

Take last nights game. Started well, fast attacking, one touch football in flashes and then the folly of our tactics, players out of position, ineptitude of players upfront and at the back and we find ourselves on our backside infront of the entire nation at the fulltime whistle yet again.

Will he take the job, wont he take the job, oh please take the job, Erikson, no Bradley, no Curbishley, somebody PLEASE take the job - but oh wait lets see if the players respond to the novice, A 6-0 defeat to a promoted club? "It shouldnt prejudice his application for the job" are we in the Twilight zone? Is this just a smokescreen to appear clueless while actually wheels turning in the background? We appear to not know where we are going and the ridiculousness notion of KM being left in charge. Dogshits reacting with glee!

Leadership at the board level has now been found wanting when we need it the most, we are apprecative of what they have done so far, however because they allowed MON complete control in other areas where he shouldnt have there is now a vacuum and the board are dithering. They need to act swiftly and decisively. Im sure Kev Mac is a nice bloke but the board should have been more ruthless. After Newcastle he should have been told to keep schtum and hold the fort until Everton while they appoint a successor.

We find ourselves with expensive players that nobody wants, unfortunately players that I found myself questioning MON as to why they werent playing - Beye and Davis for example and I have been answered. Players out of postition again. Scapegoat Heskey again. Missed penalty again.

Last nights game priced wrongly for a Thursday night after summer holidays, a heavy defeat, a televised game, a rudderless team, managerless club and shambolic performances from the players. It should have been £10 per adult and £5 per child. Ground almost half empty and will be for Everton. The fans are giving you their answer.

This hangover of cant be bothered with football is now badly affecting me and not just from the shambles of the national team from the world cup. Before MON left I was feeling that I wasnt looking forward to the new season and now its going to be a season of survival, FORGET a top 10 position. Where we were looking at being King of the Midlands for the 8 derby games now looks like these teams will be on a even keel and we will be lucky to get a point in any.

Our stock has fallen and we are now in Herbert/Clueless territory, malaise is surrounding the entire place and those custodians of the club and chosen representatives of the shirt are letting us down.

I dont want to hear "we let ourselves down and we must put it right", I dont want to hear "Dont blame Kev Mac", "Everton is a massive game". Im going to puke.

What I want is players in their right positions, a positive frame of mind, a fresh injection of talent, a decent performance OVER 90 mins, an appointed successor RIGHT NOW, a full house and look forward to a new era for the club.

Is this too much to ask?

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
Re: Why this debacle is epitome of our current plight
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:01:02 AM »
I think it's dawning on us all that MON's influence and power within the club was so complete that it has left a massive vacuum - that even the board has underestimated. It feels like the whole structure of the club from top to bottom has been destabilised.

They are some mighty big shoes to fill - hopefully the board have now realised that the cheap and make do option won't do.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
I also believe the lack of more leaders on the pitch and in the dressing room is harming us at the moment. Laursen & Mellberg would have had a few choice words with a few of the players at the moment, I can't see too many other than Dunne doing this presently.

Offline holte hero

• GM : Dec, 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »
Good post Remy, i agree with most, i think the the most frustating fact is nobody really knows whats going.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:22:10 AM »
I wonder what the gate receipts were for the game last night.  Nearly 30,000 for a game on a terrible night, with a thumping defeat behind them, no manager, a rudderless ship,  no new players to come and watch (Ireland the exception), some shit players, a poor squad selection etc.  All things considered that's not such a bad attendance.  Just imagine if we had actually qualified to see the likes of the top Italian or Spanish clubs in our group.

We get what we deserve.  50% of our defence playing out of position, a poorly run football club in no mad rush to sign players or appoint a new manager and now out of Europe after working so hard last season to try to get there.  Pointless.  Four days and nine hours to go to the transfer deadline and not even a hint of a fresh face anywhere.  I hope and pray that our main players do not get injured.

Offline levico

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »
Just picking up on something NZMAV said - wouldn't it be great if Laurson could somehow be part of the new management regime at the club?

Offline jembob

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »
I'm getting fed up of people insisting that the Club appoints a new manager 'NOW' (always in capital letters). In the next sentence we hear that it must be the right man. Is there supposed to be a secret stash of unemployed, top managers that we can all call upon in an emergency? Are managers that are unemployed at the start of a new season actually any good?

Think for a minute what the club would have to do to get a manager who they thought could take us to the next level. The probability would be that they are already managing a big club who probably will not want them to leave. I would have no idea how we would go about securing the man's services, but perhaps some of the people here demanding an appointment NOW could explain how easy it would be. If, 3 years ago Spurs had come knocking at the door wanting MON, would we have made it easy for them? For us to pinch a top level, employed manager from another team would be a damaging to them as MON's sabotage has been to us, so it won't happen. Plus, the calibre of manager we would really want would be managing a team still in a European competition.

The Board should not rush into the wrong decision. I suspect that a trawl of the better managers in current employment has shown that none are available so the likelihood is a stop gap measure like Sven, which I personally think could be rather interesting.

I believe that we can attract the calibre of manager to move us on but not at this point in time. MON knew exactly what he was doing when he walked 5 days before the start of the season. He must have really hated the Club and fans to be so vindictive. The Board are discreet which give the impatient people cause to think that they are doing nothing. Does anybody really think that nothing is being done to find a replacement? Really?

remy - I share some of your frustration but feel you go too far. A good managerial appointment and a couple of wins will put all of this behind us and we can look forward to a good season with a well organised team playing proper football and still quite capable of reaching Europe again. It's been a while since we've had this sort of turmoil at the club but it's only temporary and we'll still beat the Blues!

Offline TheFoolio888

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »
We've just about got a decent first 11 as long as they are all fit. We have a squad full of overpriced, overpaid, underskilled players. The only way MON managed to get any sort of consistency out of the team was by refusing to play most of them. Whoever comes in has got a huge job on their hands. I certainly can't see anyone leaving a decent club to come to us now.

Kev has bought any critisism on himself. I really don't understand all the chopping and changing. He could quite easily have picked a team and played it in all four of the games he has been in charge for. I'm sure if he had come in and picked a sensible team (i.e. players in the right position for fuck's sake) done a steady job, noone would have complained.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:53:01 AM »
I really don't know why people keep shouting for Laursen, He has no managment experience whatsoever!

The only way I can see him down the Villa is as a defensive coach nothing more

Offline jembob

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 11:06:09 AM »
Kev has bought any critisism on himself. I really don't understand all the chopping and changing. He could quite easily have picked a team and played it in all four of the games he has been in charge for. I'm sure if he had come in and picked a sensible team (i.e. players in the right position for fuck's sake) done a steady job, noone would have complained.

I suspect that he didn't want to be seen burning out the first 11. Also, I'm sure he's aware of the frustration from players who haven't had the opportunity to earn a place in the first team. Sadly he made the wrong decisions and when the likes of Davies and Beye have played they've let themselves down.

You are right though. If Kev didn't think that he wanted the job then the least he could have done is to provide some stability and leave the next man to sort out the malcontents.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal