collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton Pre-Match Thread  (Read 41347 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Everton Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2010, 03:45:02 PM »
TV I hope you are right mate but I just cannot see it.  It's another awfully naive selection from KM and they will really fancy playing us today.

Honestly though. Outside of maybe NRC for Downing what other side would you have picked? We're not playing 4-4-2 which would have been to open, so instead we're playing with 5 in midfield at home. I expect to see Ireland and Young either side of Carew when attacking and dropping into central midfield when defending. Both work very hard and it's not like Cahill/Arteta are bullies in their midfield. We have to attack, and we'll win if we are positive.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2010, 03:45:07 PM »
looks as if ireland has injured himself in warmup, FOR FUCKS SAKE

Where have you seen/heard this?

Sky. NRC to start
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:46:44 PM by midnite »

Offline Arsey

« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »
this must be one of most pessimistic polls for a home game for a long time

I thought we'd lose BEFORE I saw that line up.  Now I think we will get battered. 4-0 at least I reckon.

I think we'll lose too but I don't think we'll get battered.  Ireland definitely out.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »

On Sky's build up, could be hamstring.   Well ain't that just great, our one and only summer signing out for a possible lenghty period.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2010, 03:47:29 PM »
If Ireland's out it's a shame but not a disaster. He's looked off the pace and will take time to settle. Young, Downing and Albrighton are good creative attackers, and Petrov can dictate possession well from deep given the chance. The important thing now is that NRC is in there to try and counter them. A more recognisable 4-2-3-1 now seems likely.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »

On Sky's build up, could be hamstring.   Well ain't that just great, our one and only summer signing out for a possible lenghty period.

balls. That's not good is it.  Still NRC needs to show what he's good at, and not give the ball away after winning it.

Offline Arsey

« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »
hamstring is normally 2-3 weeks at most.  He could be back for the next game.

Offline Monty

« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »
hamstring is normally 2-3 weeks at most.  He could be back for the next game.

Depends, but if it is a hamstring he's indeed lucky that there's an international break upcoming. I think the whole club is, in fact.

Offline supertom

« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »
Looks like ireland is off injured so NRC to come into midfield?

Blessing in disguise really. Though I'd rather Downing injured himself, losing a fight with a blade of grass.   

Would like to have seen Ireland playing, but for the good of the team, we need some solidity and bite in midfield, or we'll get mullered. Even still, Nige on his own won't be enough. I'd have played Collins as an anchorman to be honest, with Nige and Ireland/Petrov ahead (or Petrov in this case).

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »
The late injury could work in our favour,Ash needs to pull his finger out today and have a good game,hopefully he will play with the same ball the other players use and not the beach ball he was playing with on thursday.

Offline midnite

« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »
Petrov and Ireland haven't worked so far. It could be a slight blessing in disguise. Shame it was Ireland and not petrov who's limped out. Think NRC will do a better role in defensive midfield rather than Peteov. He's got to play further up now and be more of a play maker. Come on sideways stan! Get your arse into gear and have the game of your villa career!

Offline Monty

« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »
Looks like ireland is off injured so NRC to come into midfield?

Blessing in disguise really. Though I'd rather Downing injured himself, losing a fight with a blade of grass.   

Would like to have seen Ireland playing, but for the good of the team, we need some solidity and bite in midfield, or we'll get mullered. Even still, Nige on his own won't be enough. I'd have played Collins as an anchorman to be honest, with Nige and Ireland/Petrov ahead (or Petrov in this case).

I think Petrov and Nige is a decent, textbook deep midfield two. You've got your snapper and runner in NRC and your sweeper and deep playmaker in Petrov. In an ideal world NRC would have less tactical stupidity and the ability to pass, but hey.

Offline midnite

« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
Carew needs a bloody good game too. Piss poor so far this season. Needs to prove his worth!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal