collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Thank you Mr O'Neill  (Read 27142 times)

Offline deanl123

Re: Thank you Mr O'Neill
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »
I agree with all the hatred on this thread....... but I also wish he was still at the Villa!

Offline jembob

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 11:05:06 PM »
The fruits of his largely inept transfer dealings were on full show tonight. MON, you had my support but your sabotage of this club revealed everything we didn't want to admit we really knew. Petty, spiteful egotist.

He won't get another top job, as his last year at VP exposed his limitations.

Offline Ross

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 11:13:26 PM »
It's pretty obvious the timing of it was designed to enhance his reputation. He knew we wouldn't get anyone of real quality in before the season, and he wanted to make sure we do worse without him.

Offline Archie

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »
It's pretty obvious the timing of it was designed to enhance his reputation. He knew we wouldn't get anyone of real quality in before the season, and he wanted to make sure we do worse without him.

Fully agree with you.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 11:18:23 PM »
And perhaps give a bit of a two fingers up to the fans who began to boo him.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 11:20:28 PM »
As i said shortly after he went, the wider of turmoil caused by his leaving when he did wouldn't be felt until a bit later on.

We're now starting to feel it, and unless we make a good appointment, and quick, we're going to feel it for a fair bit longer.
I think you're over estimating what a decent manager could do and under estimating the shit we are in. We're going to be stuck with Heskey, Davies, Beye, Sidwell and NRC for a very long time. It's going to cost the board a fortune to pay them off. MON knew this, we'd be lucky to get £10m for the lot, not that anybody will sign them, the wage demands are far too high, so the only solution is we pay the difference until the end of their contracts.

No new manager is going to be able to solve this problem overnight. Best thing he could do is let them train alone and focus on the players he wants to keep, hopefully bringing in a few on loan. What a mess!

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 11:22:39 PM »
He won't get another top job, as his last year at VP exposed his limitations.

Taking a club who has finished nowhere for a number of years to consistently finish 6th, make a Carling Cup final, which could've gone differently had Vidic been sent off, and an FA Cup semi-final, which could've gone differently had we been given a penalty.

Do you not get it? We finished as high as you will ever see Villa finish (unless a billionaire gives us all his money). The only chance you have is to give someone the job for many, many years to build a team.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »
Yes, he made mistakes.

Who doesn't?

But I always maintained the biggest danger with Martin is not what he does in the job, its what he leaves behind when he jacks a job in.

As I said in another thread:

Step 1 - Take a manager who is poor tactically but a brilliant and unparalelled motivator.
 Step 2 - Give him 4 years. You now have players who are motivated but poorly organised.
 Step 3 - Take manager away.

What have you got??

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 11:36:57 PM »
As i said shortly after he went, the wider of turmoil caused by his leaving when he did wouldn't be felt until a bit later on.

We're now starting to feel it, and unless we make a good appointment, and quick, we're going to feel it for a fair bit longer.
I think you're over estimating what a decent manager could do and under estimating the shit we are in. We're going to be stuck with Heskey, Davies, Beye, Sidwell and NRC for a very long time. It's going to cost the board a fortune to pay them off. MON knew this, we'd be lucky to get £10m for the lot, not that anybody will sign them, the wage demands are far too high, so the only solution is we pay the difference until the end of their contracts.

No new manager is going to be able to solve this problem overnight. Best thing he could do is let them train alone and focus on the players he wants to keep, hopefully bringing in a few on loan. What a mess!

No-one can over-estimate what a decent Manager can do.

No-one is under- estimating what a mess we're in.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 11:40:13 PM »
I can't believe I felt a bit sorry for him after the West Ham game. Bet he's having a wry old smile tonight. He undid most of his good work for us with his last petulant act.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »

Fucking off when he did, taking his entire coaching staff with him showed the supporters and the club absolutely no respect at all. He did a lot of good work with us, but he undid an awful lot of it by fucking up this season so effectively.

Spot on.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 11:42:38 PM »
Can we stop blaming him now!? He didn't make bêye play left back did he!?
I blame the board at the moment for their lack of direction!!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 11:43:57 PM »

I blame him, the board, the players, everyone.

Offline Ross

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 11:45:44 PM »

Give over. He didn't play Beye at left back, but he did leave us with only one left back in the squad. It's going to be a long time before Martin won't be to blame for this mess.  One things for sure, if we somehow turn things round and make a sucess of this season, MON won't be distancing himself from that!

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 11:47:26 PM »
Frankly O'Neill stitched us up massively, but at the same time that is the past now. We have had two weeks to act, but we seem to be in some sort of disastrous holding pattern. Action should have been taken by now, this is completely unacceptable.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal