collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ?% Villa - Duncan Edwards  (Read 13867 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: ?% Villa - Duncan Edwards
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »
If the use of Duncan Edwards and his life, in a school lesson, inspired your 9 year old and helped him / her learn something valuable, be it history or a literacy lesson, why would that leave you fuming?

Exactly right.

Offline TRO

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »
The one thing that saddened me as much as anything yesterday about this, was when I arrived home and told Mrs Tro (Dudley boro resident and age 36)where I had been and she replied "who ?".

I really mean we the residents of Dudley borough and surrounding locality, should have been educated about Duncan at school age by schools.

Apparently there is a teacher at Howley Grange primary in Halesowen who too shares this belief and has made sure the young uns there knew who Duncan Edwards was, by means of a special lesson. This should be compulsary schooling round here. We're quick enough teaching little Christians about Buddha and the likes !
i think barring actually renaming Dudley into duncan edwards there isnt alot more to be done to up hold his memory in this area. As for your missus not knowing who Duncan Edwards is well so what! He was a young local footballer who was excellent with massive potential! So what if Matt Busby sat in his council house living room and if i came back from work and was told my 9 year olds syllabus now contained Duncan Edwrads lessons i would be fuming!
His memory is being upheld, he is held in great esteem, a statue of him in the town centre and sections in the dudley museum on him, Countless roads named and even a large junior football club. Dont you think that is enough TRO???

You're on your own here.

Offline TRO

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
What's wrong with learning local history? I'd rather have been told about a great footballer who was born locally than have the story of the Gunpowder Plotters riding over Rowley Hills every November.

Dave, you've hit the nail on the head . This was no ordinary player. As Bobby Charlton says, he was better than George Best.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 12:18:30 AM »
The one thing that saddened me as much as anything yesterday about this, was when I arrived home and told Mrs Tro (Dudley boro resident and age 36)where I had been and she replied "who ?".

I really mean we the residents of Dudley borough and surrounding locality, should have been educated about Duncan at school age by schools.

Apparently there is a teacher at Howley Grange primary in Halesowen who too shares this belief and has made sure the young uns there knew who Duncan Edwards was, by means of a special lesson. This should be compulsary schooling round here. We're quick enough teaching little Christians about Buddha and the likes !
i think barring actually renaming Dudley into duncan edwards there isnt alot more to be done to up hold his memory in this area. As for your missus not knowing who Duncan Edwards is well so what! He was a young local footballer who was excellent with massive potential! So what if Matt Busby sat in his council house living room and if i came back from work and was told my 9 year olds syllabus now contained Duncan Edwrads lessons i would be fuming!
His memory is being upheld, he is held in great esteem, a statue of him in the town centre and sections in the dudley museum on him, Countless roads named and even a large junior football club. Dont you think that is enough TRO???

You're on your own here.
I certainly wouldn't be fuming about it being learnt in schools but other than that I don't see an issue with what rutski is saying.

A tragic story and a very interesting local figure is civically commemorated in a variety of ways in the place where he grew up. What more would you like to see?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 12:24:19 AM »
A tragic story and a very interesting local figure is civically commemorated in a variety of ways in the place where he grew up. What more would you like to see?

If I was living on the Priory I'd like the kids there to find out that off our estate came one of the greatest footballers of all time, and so living there doesn't mean you have to be nothing all your life.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 12:35:02 AM »

If I was living on the Priory I'd like the kids there to find out that off our estate came one of the greatest footballers of all time, and so living there doesn't mean you have to be nothing all your life.

Having never set foot in Dudley there's no way I'd claim to be an authority on the subject at all, but the previous post suggests that "His memory is being upheld, he is held in great esteem, a statue of him in the town centre and sections in the dudley museum on him, Countless roads named and even a large junior football club" as well as lessons in schools.

Doesn't that indicate that what you want to see happen is already happening?

Offline rutski

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »

seeing as you are all picking flies i am glad dave you view people off the priory so highly and them being nothing all their life, if they werent a great footballer that is!
i still stand by the opinion that there shouldnt be lessons about a footballer, as for a discussion on their home environment, well ok, but i think tro wants a duncan edwards gcse

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 10:09:54 AM »
I regularly use football analogies when I teach. I find it engages the children and stimulates interest.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 10:16:49 AM »
Not really relevent, but I had a car accident a few years ago in Manchester and the fella who hit me lived in Geoff Bent Walk - a councill estate in Manchester where the roads were named after the Munich victims.

Anyway, back on topic....

Offline rutski

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 10:20:37 AM »
I regularly use football analogies when I teach. I find it engages the children and stimulates interest.
nothing wrong with that legion, great way of getting a little extra interest i just dont think it should be in a syllabus!

Offline villa1

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »
Why not? As Legion said, it engages the children. It can also help them relate their learning to real life. No offence meant but it is a very short sighted view on education that you hold.

As far as the rest of your original post goes, I can understand where you are coming from.

Offline TRO

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »
I'm a very good knowledgable follower of football but I'll tell you this, I didn't know about Edwards until my late teens. So Dudley MBC hardly rammed it to
Me back then .

Offline villa1

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »
Rutski, been thinking about this whilst getting ready to head out for the match. I have to be honest here and admit I may have misunderstood your sentiments. Are you saying you wouldn't want your child completing a unit of work where the objective would be to learn about the life of Duncan Edwards but don't mind him being used to stimulate learning of other objectives?

If that's the case then i'll retract my short sighted comment and save it for my dad today when he's getting heskey and ireland mixed up on the pitch.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »

seeing as you are all picking flies i am glad dave you view people off the priory so highly and them being nothing all their life, if they werent a great footballer that is!
i still stand by the opinion that there shouldnt be lessons about a footballer, as for a discussion on their home environment, well ok, but i think tro wants a duncan edwards gcse

I'm not saying they're nothing all their life, I'm saying that if you live somewhere like the Priory (or where I'm from which isn't a million miles from there) you aren't exactly going to have the sort of chances kids from elsewhere will have - look at what Dave Cooper was told about his lad the other week. In those circumstances it's important to be told that you can be as good as the kid from the posh school and there's no better way than role models. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal