collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Decline and eventual fall of the Premiership  (Read 6493 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Decline and eventual fall of the Premiership
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:53:50 AM »
It struck me as ironic that the new owner of Manchester City attended the the first home game against Liverpool. It was from reports the first game he has attended since he bought the club two years ago, the report went on to say that it took time for the supporters to realise who he was and led to a roar of support. After he game he took a little while talking and then left for the airport probably waiting for a European final to make his next appearance. This is what the modern game has become, the plaything of the megga rich. As supporters up and down the country count their pennies and go without just to be able to buy the ticket that allows them see their heroes on every occassion these people with no allegience no history in the game are slowly strangling the very breath out of football. Apparently he bought City to raise the profile of Abu Dabi as it is small meat compared to other Arab states. As all empires it will eventually crumble, either through sheer boredom of the owner or overstretched borrowings of greed merchants or more likely the people who are the lifeblood of the game will eventually turn away and remember the good and even the not so good times. It surely is time for a revolution in England, i can't think of a better time or a better cause.

Offline Villa'Zawg

Re: Decline and eventual fall of the Premiership
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »
The money men imagine and expect that overseas subscription rights are going to generate enormous revenues in the coming years. The global digital media rights legal, commercial and technological frameworks that are being put in place make it a real possibility. If only 10% of the people who watch "EPL" regularly can be converted into paying subscribers, the potential revenue figures are astronomical.

The game we grew up with is dying but they've already taken ownership of the "product" and they mean to make money from it.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:15:55 PM »
Football clubs have always been the playthings on the rich and used as marketing tools for their other ventures.

In the past it was the local builder, car dealer or travel agent. Now its the magnates involved in oil, finance etc.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »
Football clubs have always been the playthings on the rich and used as marketing tools for their other ventures.

In the past it was the local builder, car dealer or travel agent. Now its the magnates involved in oil, finance etc.

Perhaps but I could afford to go to the games in those days.

Offline cdward

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »
The football i grew up watching has changed, i have changed too, partly because i live abroad and cannot afford the time and money to follow Villa home and away, but also because i can sit at home or in the pub and watch Villa getting hammered 6-0, and know i haven't wasted too much time and effort.  Because i don't have a season ticket, it also means i can then afford Club Wembley tickets on the rare occasions we get there, (and yes it was very nice thankyou).
I am coming around to being a modern football fan, is it as good as the old days, maybe yes maybe no. But it is here to stay and as much as i hate Rupert Murdoch i will keep paying my money and taking my choice, and picking and choosing my trips to watch Villa play. I personally don't see the PL failing, but it is definitely changing.
UTV

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »
The Murdoch dollar doesn't come for free and what we see today are the inevitable consequences.  I am not just talking about football. 

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »
i hate football these days...

it is an utter disgrace...

i cant walk away from villa, which in turn, means i cant walk away from football, but i hate it...

Offline brackley

• GM : 13.04.2025
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:31:52 PM »

The old owners for all their faults, at least had an air of permanence, these new mega rich, they're just passing through.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »
Thing is, we've been hearing about the bubble bursting for about a decade now and it hasn't, so the question has to be asked will it ever?  Football followers are by their nature quite fanatical, so that is a big factor to be exploited by people of a certain frame of mind.  Can't afford £10,000 for a season ticket?  No problem, just give us £100-a-month and we'll beem the game direct to your living room.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 02:21:47 PM »
That's the trouble with these super rich owners they have taken all the fun out of football now it's not as much fun as it use to be.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »
Just like in the late 80's when football was on it's knees in this country and had to change....and did, I think something will aslo be done to stop the way it's going here, maybe a single event or the people in power act to change things....

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 02:50:32 PM »

i cant walk away from villa, which in turn, means i cant walk away from football, but i hate it...

Made me think of the adverts for News of the World I think, or some other Murdoch organ, which tell us that "we wouldn't change a thing" about football.  Yeah, right...

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
The same couple of teams winning the 3 domestic trophies, pretty much every season.......

sad isn't it ?

UTV
The Doc

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »
I've said before that the only thing that will force the game to get it's house in order is the drop in revenue from Sky.

That in turn will only come about due to falling subscriptions. Which is where you come in. More internet streams + more reliable internet connections = less need for Sky.

It wouldn't even need to be Sky withdrawing funding completely. Just a dip in the revenue they provide would have a huge effect of the English game, as sides budget (ha!) with that in mind. That revenue should really be the cream on top, but it isn't.

It's a ridiculous state of affairs that with the game so awash with money most clubs are in debt. It can't continue that way.

On a side note: those characters at Man Citeh come across as extremely shady. Just looking at that bloke the other night was like looking into the face of pure evil. You also have to wonder about any organisation that (a) appoints Garry Cook and (b) has Shinawatra on speed dial.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 04:11:27 PM »

Similar to me.  The football I grew up with , where even in the dark division 3 days you knew there was hope of rising and winning the league (which we did 10 years later),   died a long time ago.  I can't see it coming back unless there is a revolution where the clubs outside the elite 4 or 5 get together and tell the big guns to fuck off to a euro super league and Murdoch to go screw himelf.  We can then go back to old style football league which worked fine for 100 years plus, a european Cup for proper champions, and the return of the CWC and UEFA cups.  And if PL and CL  fans in Thailand, or Japan, or the Pillipines don't like it, who cares?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal