collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Priorities - The Cups?  (Read 3764 times)

Offline villa for life

Priorities - The Cups?
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:52:39 AM »
Given the situation and the likelihood that we might have become a mid-table side for this season, shouldn't we now make the cups our priority, starting with the match against Rapid Vienna.
Fulham had fun almost winning the Europa and it did raise their profile, and if we do go with a caretaker manager for the rest of the season, if we won the Europa, we might be able to attract a high profile European Manager.
We haven't won anything for so long that a mid-table finish and a bit of silverware, whether it be the FA, Europa, or Carling wouldn't count as such a bad season.
Anyone else think it's time that we focus on Cups and by doing so, put out a full strength side?

Offline timeoutbigbar

Re: Priorities - The Cups?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:46:06 AM »
That's a good question.  I think i'd probably agree to an extent, but i'm not convinced we could completely take our eye off the league and still be a shoe-in for the top 8.  If things start going wrong this season then we could quite forseably not qualify for the Europa League next season, or possibly the season after that.  That to me means we should make a proper go of it in Thursday as it could be our last european night at Villa Park for a few years more.  Although it isn't that great in terms of revenue, i'd have loved to have seen us playing some famous european clubs such as Juventus and the like in competitive football last season.

Offline expatvilla

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »
We couldnt win the Europa with the current squad mate..

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 09:20:50 AM »
I hope we give the europa league a proper go this season i love big european nights at villa park and of course i want us to win it.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
After sunday's debacle perhaps our priority should be just achieving mid-table security in the first instance. Depends on what happens with the new manager, but I suspect cups will be our only chance of doing anything of note this season.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »
we're only a few games in, the next game should be the priority, with everyone fit and ready to play we've a big enough squad to give all the cups and a top 6 finish a try.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:29:56 AM »
We couldnt win the Europa with the current squad mate..

We could, but we'd have to prioritise it over everything else including the league, like Fulham did.

They got to the final but finished below Small Heath in the league, and are Small Heath really better than Fulham?

Offline sfx412

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »
blimey 2 games in and we are fighting for mid table security and a run in the cups.
Where are we expected to finish in the W. Midlands mini league, certainly below Blues have we any chance of being hiigher than Wolves and Albion, I wonder.
Lets wait and see who and when RL brings in as manager before we worry overly much, please.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:42:24 AM »
My comment was slightly tongue in cheek given Sunday's non- performance, but let's face it if have many more like that we won't be doing much this season.   I did say it depends on who comes in as manager, but whoever it is will have little if any time to bring new players in until January. 

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 10:43:50 AM »
Isn't that what Jane Mansfield said to her bra fitter?

Younger readers replace Jane with Jordan/Katie Price.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 12:26:47 PM »
I'd like to see us have a really good run in the Europa as well, but like Marlon has said, it might come at a cost
in the league.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »
The whole idea of football is to win trophies.

We will never win the league (barring a billionaire giving us all his money).

We could win a cup.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 10:13:58 PM »
Surely we will try and just win anythimg we can. And finish as high as we can ???? Get the right man in quick enough and its all systems go, as you know Lerner will give him money ..........

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal