collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: No signings so concerning  (Read 16815 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: No signings so concerning
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »
I suppose its worth noting that a new manager will have his eyes open to the wider market, which may ease a new player or two coming in. But I agree that January is a poor time for signings.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 06:49:59 PM »
It doesn't make much sense to buy anyone until a new manager is appointed.

If you wanted to avoid spending any momey what better way to do it.
Spot on, Greg.

Offline steve.t

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
I don't want any new signings until a manager is in place.  We can wait till Jan if any new signings are required by the new manager. 

I'm looking forward to Delph getting fit, he's exactly what we need now along with Ireland in Midfield.

Who would have Delph Replaced last sunday then out of interest?

I would have rested Albrighton, put Ashley back on the wing and pushed Ireland up to support Carew

I would of done similar but replaced Downing instead(Albrighton was the man in form) and told petrov that if he went more than 20 yards from his back line I'd rip him a new arse!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 07:09:30 PM »
I haven't slept since I found out we weren't signing Aiden McGready.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 07:09:46 PM »

Spot on, Greg.

BING BONG
Chris's GP to the 'no new signings thread' please, his repeat prescription of Prozac is overdue.

Offline IRISHPHIL

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
i do not see the point of buying a player, if and when the new manager comes in does not rate/ like him.
if kmac is the new manager he will only get players in who were being followed by oneil

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »

Spot on, Greg.

How many times do you usually make the same joke before you get bored?

Fact is we're about £20m up on this transfer window and we were outplayed by a championship side on Sunday.

Until I get some indication that the board have it in them to pick a decent manager and support him financially then any optimism is just wishful thinking with nothing of substance to back it up.

Every summer we hear that if you don't make signings you go backwards yet this year it doesn't seem to apply even though we've lost our player of the season.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 10:08:31 PM »
Fair point Chris except this season we'll at least have the whole squad to choose from rather than the whole squad minus those MON fell out with, decided he didn't rate anymore after spending umpteen million on them, or had committed the crime of being  a proper right back.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »
Delph won't be back for ages, certainly not in 2010.

I would save save for maybe being a cental midfielder light, there is enough in the squad for a new manager to be working with until January.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »

Spot on, Greg.

Fact is we're about £20m up on this transfer window and we were outplayed by a championship side on Sunday.

Until I get some indication that the board have it in them to pick a decent manager and support him financially then any optimism is just wishful thinking with nothing of substance to back it up.

Every summer we hear that if you don't make signings you go backwards yet this year it doesn't seem to apply even though we've lost our player of the season.

Of course it still applies this season.

However, you can't pretend the manager fucking off just before the start of the season hasn't had a bit of an effect. Usually he waits till the last minute before doing the business. This year he fucked off just about the time wed expected him to lumber into action.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »

Spot on, Greg.

Your world may have stopped the day Martin left but in the real world life goes on, Chris. Get over it, he's gone and he ain't coming back. Let's wait and see what happens, it's a big mess but I'm sure the board are trying to find the right man for the job and funds will be available for him. To think the board is delaying the appointment of a manager to save spending money in the transfer market is pure lunacy. I'll carry on laughing at you whilst you continue to make such ridiculous statements or gregnash sues me for defamation of character.

What ever happened to Chris Smith - the Voice of Reason? I know it was a long time ago but come on Chris, take a deep breath and judge the board on their actions, not some trumped up, half baked idea.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »
Deeply depressing stuff. No point in signing anyone till a new manager goes, equally the likes of NRC/Young may want to hang around to see who the new boss is.

Whichever way you cut it we have "lost" a seasons worth of activity as the winter window is really for panic buying/selling only.

Grim indeed.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »

Because they've got no track record of that at all, have they?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »

Spot on, Greg.

Your world may have stopped the day Martin left but in the real world life goes on, Chris. Get over it, he's gone and he ain't coming back. Let's wait and see what happens, it's a big mess but I'm sure the board are trying to find the right man for the job and funds will be available for him. To think the board is delaying the appointment of a manager to save spending money in the transfer market is pure lunacy. I'll carry on laughing at you whilst you continue to make such ridiculous statements or gregnash sues me for defamation of character.

What ever happened to Chris Smith - the Voice of Reason? I know it was a long time ago but come on Chris, take a deep breath and judge the board on their actions, not some trumped up, half baked idea.

The problem is so many of you have got so giddy with excitement because MON has left, you lost your critical faculties. We were shit on Sunday, we have a board committed to reducing the wage bill, a chairman talking about living within our means, his spokesman one week extolling our youth players and the next decrying the 'poor' attendances. We've lost our player of the season and not replaced him, we've had a problem with goal scoring for 2 years and not addressed it and we're unlikely to buy anyone this year.

The board have a patchy record with appointments (how many Chief Execs have we got through?) so I'm uneasy about their ability to pick the right man and worry that they're looking for the cheap option who will be more concerned with the wage bill than trying to win things. Of course I might be worrying unduly (I hope I am) but there are very real grounds for concern.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
It seems unlikely to me that anyone who has been or will be sounded out about the job will have been done so without the question of an transfer budget and potential targets being identified and when the appointment is made, I would expect (hope..?) that some new signings will be made shortly thereafter.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal