collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are We a Feeder Club?  (Read 8863 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Are We a Feeder Club?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »
That Milner to Barry thing last night made me wretch so much, I was worried I might have spat one of my kidneys out.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »
In 2009 United won the title with some of the best attacking play the Premier have seen for many years - a 3 pronged attack that ripped defences to shreds

Rooney
Tevez
Ronaldo

Both the latter 2 sold, one to their biggest European rivals and one to their hated local rivals

I would say everyone is a feeder club today

Offline sfx412

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 04:32:05 PM »
That Milner to Barry thing last night made me wretch so much, I was worried I might have spat one of my kidneys out.

just made me envious we couldn't keep either, and sad.

We are not a feeder club, and will always be supplying our better players to the higher bidders until we regularly achieve a top 4 position and a top European qualification and so will most other clubs.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:33:46 PM by sfx412 »

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »
A whole 365 days to go before Man City sign Albrighton! Let's hope we can enjoy them and not endure a poor season. Where are the defender, winger and goalscorer we need before next Tuesday?

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
Call me naive, but strangely enough I think that UEFA will come through on this one.  Competitive football will die if they don't.  Strange how Citeh's and Chelsea's owners are on board with the new pending rules.  It's like they're asking/need someone to control them from themselves.  It's bad in Spain too where the top two clubs were something like 28 points ahead of Valencia in third.  This problem is not unique to the PL.  IMHO Lerner should take a more visual role in this dilemma.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:06:40 PM by Muscle-Dolphin »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 10:15:41 PM »
Spurs lost Berbatiov and Carrick to Man Yoo in fairly quick succession and their fans were up in arms.  They've since shown that what matters is how you replace them and neither were irreplaceable.  Neither are Barry or Milner if you have a decent scouting network and good judgement..

Offline davevillan

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
To say we are a feeder club is garbage.
Every player has his price. What Villa have demostrated with Barry and Milner, is that if anyone wants to buy one of our star players then they leave at our price, not theirs.
Barry was always going to leave last year, it was a case of getting the best deal for us, and whichever way you look at it, £12m for a player of his age with 1yr left on his contract was bloody good business, likewise, getting Ireland plus £15/18m for Milner. Ultimately, it means we will get stronger at their expense, if we can re-invest the cash into the team.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »
Every player has his price. What Villa have demostrated with Barry and Milner, is that if anyone wants to buy one of our star players then they leave at our price, not theirs.
Barry was always going to leave last year, it was a case of getting the best deal for us, and whichever way you look at it, £12m for a player of his age with 1yr left on his contract was bloody good business, likewise, getting Ireland plus £15/18m for Milner. Ultimately, it means we will get stronger at their expense, if we can re-invest the cash into the team.

Excellent post ............

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 12:11:43 AM »

You seem to be employing a very peculiar definition of the term "feeder club".

If, as you you assert, every player has his price, and if, as has been demonstrated, Citeh have more money than sense and they also have a predilection for stopping by every year and picking up our best player, then we are, by definition, a feeder club to them. The price does not matter; they don't care. As I suggested in May, they were far more concerned with stringing the transfer out than with the price.

What we actually do with the money has nothing to do with whether we are a feeder club or not.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 03:16:47 AM »
We're the feeder club to Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea and Man U. Maybe Tottenham and Liverpool also given another season or so.

Liverpool, Tottenham are feeder clubs to Man City and Man U, Inter, Milan.

Arsenal are a feeder club to Barcelona, Real.

Chelsea and Man U aren't feeder clubs. In fact the only clubs that aren't are Man U, Chelsea, Real, Barca, at the moment Man City, and at a push Bayern.

Didn't United feed Ronaldo to Real Madrid? And Tevez certainly fancied the grub more at Wastelands than Mould Trafford.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »
In 2009 United won the title with some of the best attacking play the Premier have seen for many years - a 3 pronged attack that ripped defences to shreds

Rooney
Tevez
Ronaldo

Both the latter 2 sold, one to their biggest European rivals and one to their hated local rivals.
Tevez was on loan actually but I know where you're coming from or going to, whatever.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »
perhaps Lerner is  starting the process of trying to get expenditures in line with income?  Maybe we will get the "last laugh"? 

I thought it was taken as read that's what he is doing.  Was I wrong?

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 11:05:20 AM »
It didnt occur to me to ask such a question when we sold Tony Hateley for a £100k in 1966, and it hasnt occured to me at any point since.

I view the starting of this thread as just another example of trying to talk down the mighty institution that is Aston Villa Football Club.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »
We're the feeder club to Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea and Man U. Maybe Tottenham and Liverpool also given another season or so.

Liverpool, Tottenham are feeder clubs to Man City and Man U, Inter, Milan.

Arsenal are a feeder club to Barcelona, Real.

Chelsea and Man U aren't feeder clubs. In fact the only clubs that aren't are Man U, Chelsea, Real, Barca, at the moment Man City, and at a push Bayern.

Man U are Real Madrids feeder club no question.

Beckham
Van nistelrooy
Heinze
Ronaldo

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »
If Man City comingcalling with 16 mill and a player every year then I'll happily be a feeder club for them.  That's a lot of cash on the balance sheet every year and when Mansoor gets bored of throwing cash away City will be left paying for a lot of over paid arseholes.  If we are a feeder club we must be Harrods.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal