collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Captain  (Read 17222 times)

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
Re: Our Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 08:15:48 AM »
After Sundays debacle he should not even be in the team as he goes missing for alot of the games he plays.
Yet you're advocating Dunne instead who was by all accounts even worse in the same game?

But Dave that was one game from Dunne, Petrov runs out of steam in nearly every game on 60 mins and then sits deeper and deeper allowing the opposition to dominate us.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »
Not based on one game but I don;t like Petrov as captain - too quiet, doesn't lead by example enough, disappears from games, not enough presence.

Difficult to see a first choice player who fits the bill apart from Dunne.  I'll be in a massive minority here but my choice would be Davies - I'd have him as frst choice CB and he isn't frightened to get stuck in or speak out.

Offline DANNYG

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 10:15:38 AM »
After Sundays debacle he should not even be in the team as he goes missing for alot of the games he plays.
Yet you're advocating Dunne instead who was by all accounts even worse in the same game?

But Dave that was one game from Dunne, Petrov runs out of steam in nearly every game on 60 mins and then sits deeper and deeper allowing the opposition to dominate us.

spot on Dunne was one of the most consistent players last yr whilst stylian unfortunately cant do 90 mins like he used to I think rotate him with Nigel especially away from home anyway

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »

No he doesn't. He's not perfect, but he's still our best option for captain by a million miles.

Considering some teams play three players to do the job that he does, I agree that he is overworked. But the way to solve that issue it to put someone else in the team to help, not to get rid of an excellent player.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »
I often this there's a lack of maturity in ashley youngs game. Things like falling over easy for a foul followed by quite comical Ashley limp. Would the resposibility of captaincy raise his game do you think? He's certainy a player who has the skills and presence to change a game. Would the armband make him a more vocal and motivational player on the pitch?
The sort what would stand up and be counted when it's 0-0 and we need some inspiration?
For me there is no stand out candidate. Dunne definitely has the authority and maybe having the armband would make him much more vocal on the pitch.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 09:41:06 AM »
Another dismal performance from the team and one of the most important players in the team-the captain, seems unable to rally the troops again.

Sorry Stan you did your best, but you are not good enough to be captain of Aston Villa.

UTV
the Doc

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 11:46:58 AM »
hes not good enough to play for us either unless he has someone doing his midfield work for him....

Offline jembob

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I've always liked Petrov and can see why MON made him Captain.

He was never going to score that penalty last night. It was worse than Carew's on Sunday as you knew there wasn't going to be enough pace on it with a 2 step run up to the ball. He would have been slated even more for it if it wasn't for Emile's comedy miss from the rebound.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 12:22:05 PM »
I like Petrov but lost a lot of respect for him last night when he tried to pass the blame of the defeat at the fact we don't have a permanant manager. And this from the same player that was calling for the club to give the job to Kevin MacDonald.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
He played an excellent ball to Ash for the set up for Gabby's goal. Not sideways at all. Of course that is ignored

He should never have taken that penalty. I don't know why he did, I don't know if he wanted to or if he was forced too but he never should have done so.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2010, 01:27:04 PM »
In my opinion, Petrov has always been shit. 95% of his passes are sideways or backwards and we get nowhere. NRC could easily do what he does, but chooses not to because, I'd like to think, he wants to get somehwere with the ball. I'm all for keeping the ball and waiting for the right moment, but he rarely finds the right moment.

Add to the fact that he's incredibly slow and can't tackle. I think he's had half a good season since he's been with us, which isn't good enough in 4 years (is it 4 years?).

I reckon he missed the penalty because he had to kick the ball forward, something he's not used to doing.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »
In my opinion, Petrov has always been shit.
Contratulations, you've more or less admitted you don't actually understand how football works.

Online hipkiss92

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2010, 06:52:34 PM »
Lets just ship out the likes of Petrov, Davies, Beye and Heskey, give Clark the captaincy, and start playing the likes of Albrighton Bannan Delfouneso Delph when he's fit, and build a team that is going to be working hard for each other and will understand what it is to play for the shirt. Ideally a formation along the lines of

Friedel
Young/Lichaj    Clark/Collins    Dunne/Cuellar   Warnock
                           Bannan          NRC/Delph
Young                        Ireland             Albrighton/Downing
                             Gabby/Delofuneso

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
Lets just ship out the likes of Petrov, Davies, Beye and Heskey, give Clark the captaincy, and start playing the likes of Albrighton Bannan Delfouneso Delph when he's fit, and build a team that is going to be working hard for each other and will understand what it is to play for the shirt. Ideally a formation along the lines of

Friedel
Young/Lichaj    Clark/Collins    Dunne/Cuellar   Warnock
                           Bannan          NRC/Delph
Young                        Ireland             Albrighton/Downing
                             Gabby/Delofuneso

Clark really? Come off it he's way too young. No-one really stands out Dunne makes so many mistakes and Coker doesnt play enough. Friedel is the only one to really seem to talk to the players and get them motivated and he's not good enough in my view

Offline jordan.y

• OOOOO When the Villa!!! UTV
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 07:42:17 PM »
on the penalty, just before petrov took all of his useless 2 step run up, i noticed ashley young running to the box from the sideline on the halfway line,
was he getting treatment for an injury, or was he getting instructions?
young, albrighton, ireland, each of them would have scored IMO
ash took pens before milner so should take them now

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal