collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Captain  (Read 17236 times)

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
Our Captain
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »
had a look and could not find anything regarding this topic but if there is feel free to move.

Stylian Petrov, is not captain material and I feel that his reign as Villa captain must come to an end.

The captain should inspire, motivate, cajoel(?), kick up the arse, push and shove, be commanding in his own postion and I do not see it in Stylian.
After Sundays debacle he should not even be in the team as he goes missing for alot of the games he plays. I'm not a Petrov-hater as I think he does bring something to the squad but I feel that he should pass that huge responsiblity of being the Villa captain to some-one who can lead the team and club forward.

For me I would give it to Richard Dunne who has a presence about him.

UTV
The Doc

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: Our Captain
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »
Would you be posting this if we had won on Sunday?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »
There is something calming and reassuring about Richard Dunne (except when he's having one of his bad days). He is a leader but is he the kind of leader we need? Maybe we need somebody who's a bit more vocal and will always give you at the very least a '7' performance.

I don't think Dunne relishes the big games which could be a problem too...

Offline Dr Butler

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
Would you be posting this if we had won on Sunday?

Probably not, but I have felt for quite a while that he is not up to the task of in my opinion one of the toughest jobs in football - Aston Villa captain.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »
I have never been all that comfortable about Petrov being our captain, mainly as I don't think he should be an automatic choice but rather rotated with NRC.  I'd agree with giving it to Dunne!

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:17 AM »
I'd give it to Cuellar once he's fit.

And I'd play him centre-half, first choice, and let the others fight it out to play with him. Beacuse when it comes to body-on-the-line all out defending, he's the man, and that would be the example I would wish my team to follow.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 10:54:58 AM »
I think Stan is a good captain myself.

I'd normally agree with Dunne being a good choice too, but he should've taken responsibility with Clark/Carroll on Sunday, not to mention he seems a bit "out of shape" at the moment. Not good Captain material there.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »
I would give the captain's armband to richard dunne beside's i like the centre back being the captain because he see's all the play.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »
I'd give it to Cuellar once he's fit.

And I'd play him centre-half, first choice, and let the others fight it out to play with him. Beacuse when it comes to body-on-the-line all out defending, he's the man, and that would be the example I would wish my team to follow.

Spot on.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 12:38:44 PM »
I wonder if giving the armband to hamster bollokcs Downing might give him enough motivation to make a tackle this season?

Offline TheBarneyArmy

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
Has to be Cuellar for me, played alongside Dunne, we need a settled centre half partnership, supported by a new keeper too.

Offline Dr Butler

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »
Has to be Cuellar for me, played alongside Dunne, we need a settled centre half partnership, supported by a new keeper too.

Shay Given ?

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »

It should be!

Shay Given ?

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 02:46:46 PM »
Dunne should be captain.

End of story.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
A no to me on Dunne as captain. If we are moaning about Petrov after one poor performance we will be having even more threads like this were Dunne captain. He was abysmal on Sunday and unlike Stan who is consistent (depending on your point of view this is either in excellence or averageness) at least usually Dunne's form peaks and troughs like a seismograph.

I remember when we had Mr Personality as Captain (ne'er has such an uninspiring and dispassionate captain existed) everyone was calling for Stan to become captain as he was far more passionate and vocal on the pitch.

I do think if you want a completely committed player who leads by example on the pitch Cuellar is your man. I'm not too sure if he is a loud and communicative voice in the dressing room though. Another decent contender (and I'm saying this as no fan) is Reo-Coker who leads on the pitch if he plays and seems to be a big voice in the dressing room and on the pitch. If we're not going to sign a decent defensive midfielder then he simply has to play alongside Stan and Ireland.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal