collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer Window  (Read 4874 times)

Offline achilles

Transfer Window
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »
I  am worried!

With a little over a week to go before the transfer deadline disappears who, if anyone, is going to make any decisions in the coming week, incoming or outgoing? Kevin gives me the impression that he doesn’t really want the job. To me its simple you either want the job or not, stop faffing around. At that point, he has already failed to get the job because of his inability to make a decision (an absolute requirement to be a top class manager). Realistically its too late to appoint a manager and expect him to know what is required at the club before the transfer window closes.

Therefore until a manager is appointed nothing is going to happen. You can’t realistically buy players without a manager in place so we are in a state of limbo. We are stuck with the players we have (Heskey included) and that means its going to be yet another season of that famous word ‘consolidation’!

I really thought that the current players were good enough but after yesterday I am not so sure, they played like a bunch of namby-pambies. It could be a long, hard season.

The more you think about it the more you realise just how badly MON shafted us, I just hope that he never comes back to Villa Park!

Offline levico

Re: Transfer Window
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »
My sentiments exactly.

Trouble is I can't see a ready solution even if I were chairman, what would I do? Chances are we are better informed than he is. All very worrying.

I consider my expectations managed - from now on it will be count any points we can scramble until we get to the magic 40 points for safety. I think this season is a write off already.

Offline supertom

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »
Even if Randy has someone actively looking, what half decent player is gonna want to come to a managerless Villa? Ireland came of course, but had no other options and would not have played at City. But particularly if we look abroad, attracting players will be high on impossible this window. If we're even looking...which right now, I don't reckon we are.

We need get a move on with a new manager though. Sharpish. For stability as much as any last minute signings he may try and make.

Offline friz

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:32:42 PM »
Totally agree with all comments above. If this was at another club we'd be laughing at them. I find it difficult to believe that Kev M does not know if he wants the job or not. If he's not ready now then he never will be and this dithering is leaving the club rudderless. Mr Lerner should at least be making the odd statement. To say nothing like this is worrying. Let's hope he has a cunning plan, but not a Baldrick plan!

Offline steve.t

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »
I started to like KM but his statements about not knowing if its what he wants make him sound like a seventeen old virgin being talked into bed by a her boyfriend. whats all this guff on SSN about deciding at the end of the week. Randy should be telling him it temporary. KM good coach you are, Manager of Aston Villa you aren't. Whats Riles me is we looked so naive on sunday and KM's sub decisions looked very worrying.

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:44:15 PM »
It is patently obvious that MacDonald doesn't really want the job.  To add injury to insult, Milner played a really quality game for Citeh today being involved in two of their three goals.  I don't have a problem with Bradley.  At least he's hungry and has an ego.  Maybe someone from the outside is something we need right now? I think that Lerner would be more likely to loosen the purse strings with a fellow Yank.  At any rate, after Sunday's debacle, shouldn't someone's head roll?  WTF?  Who is calling the shots at Villa Park.  A Cleveland Browns fan informed me that in Cleveland Lerner is sometimes referred to as "slow Lerner".  I hope that the particular fan is just creating controversy.  We need more of a physical presence.  If I was Lerner, I'd get rid of Carew.

Offline El Hurricane

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:23:17 PM »
He who hesitates is lost.If Kev Mac says he doesn't want it by friday that leaves a new manager with no time to do anything.Going back to Sunday's match to take Albrighton off for Heskey was just naive. I recall Big Ron taking over at Sheffield Wednesday and immediately putting Carbone on the bench,he knew that Di Canio and Carbone couldn't play together for 90 minutes.Albrighton,Young and Downing all on at once isn't going to work either!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 08:22:37 AM »
If KM said today he didn't want the job, what kind of reation would we see from the players? Best say nothing until we have somebody lined up.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:34:15 AM »
For all the talk about the timing of Martin's departure, that was over two weeks ago now, so at some point we need to stop blaming that and ask what the board have/have not done in that 2 weeks to get a new man in.

My reading of K-Mac is that he DOES want the job, but he doesn't want all the aggro that will come with it, both in terms of himself and the unsettling effect it could have on his family.  Whilst I understand that, it unfortunately comes with the job so he needs to make his mind up.

Despite Sunday's showing I don't think we need a large influx of players.  Luke Young and NRC staying address some issues we previously thought we'd have, so with Cuellar, Collins, Gabby and Delph to come back I'd say two quality players in the right positions would see us capable of another top 6 finish.  Things do happen fast in the last week of a transfer window, but the more time a new manager gets the better.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »
I'm sure there are two faces to Aston Villa at the moment. What the public are seeing and what is going on behind-the-scenes.

I expect KMac knows what is going on and I'm sure this is being communicated to the players.

We're like a duck on a pond. Above the water is what the public sees...sod all. Below the water the feet are paddling like billy-o.

I hope...

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 10:32:06 AM »
If KM said today he didn't want the job, what kind of reation would we see from the players? Best say nothing until we have somebody lined up.

Perhaps he told the players just that before Sunday's game, but then I would have expected them to go out and prove him wrong so I suspect he said he wasn't going to get it.  They certainly played like a demoralised bunch who have already given up.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »
For all the talk about the timing of Martin's departure, that was over two weeks ago now, so at some point we need to stop blaming that and ask what the board have/have not done in that 2 weeks to get a new man in.

Still they defend the little shit.
As the General has said, he gave RL the impression that he was happy to stay, but when RL left he ran off. How is any owner supposed to appoint a man within 2 weeks. Under normal conditions, it takes time to gain advise, contact those you want, analyse those who have made it obvious they want the job and then the process of negotiating and interviewing starts.
Even then there is the negotiations with his existing club, if he has one, and so on, that could take weeks as clubs will know the pressure we are under.
If RL had appointed anyone even KM and he must surely know he's just a reserve team coach with no PL experience by now, you and others would be on here looking for the chance to bring the new man down in comparison to Mon, or complaining he'd made a rush decision or had a list already and was waiting for Mon to quit.
From the time Mon quit its been a back to the wall situation, we were left with no experienced coach or team manager, Mon took them all, they all ran off together so all those sentiments expressed in the first comment are as expected. Its a fact thanks to the manner of Mon's departure, Sunday's result is just a symptom. The choice of a new guy has been exasperated by the lateness of the turncoats departure, especially as whoever takes over will be the subject of much comparison from day one by Mon's luvvies in the media and in the fanbase, so it has to be the correct choice and that will take time.
As when Mon started, the new guy will have to take his own time to analyse the squad and determine who is in and who isn't and thanks to the lateness of the previous managers exit there just is not time to sensibly buy players in what's left of the transfer window,
It may suit those looking to score points in Mon's defence, but RL knows it makes sense to take time and get the appointment as right as he can at a time when most decent managers have started the season with their existing squads and those that are or were out of work like Hughes, have been snapped up by other clubs or are not that keen to take on a club with no top European qualification.

It is a very frustrating time, but the squad did finish 6th repeatedly, did win the Peace Cup, did get to Wembley and is really only down Milner so far.
A decent man would have quit at the end of last season to allow the club to get in a new man within plenty of time, who knows he might have even persuaded Milner to stay, but no, he left it until 5 days before the seasons kick off, gave his employers the impression he was willing to stay on so that all short and medium term plans including him and his cronies.

Its not right, its not pleasant its even somewhat worrying when you see how easily they collapsed in the last game, but its inevitable and yes the longer it goes on without a decent man taking over the harder it will get when he does, but to put the blame on to RL, to demand he makes a super quick appointment is both pathetic and pointless, if somewhat predictable from some.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:11:50 AM »
Why don't you cut out the insults and digs and discuss the issues, some of which you raise are valid.

Yes, it takes time, but after two weeks I would at the very least have expected them to have identified the man they want.  After that, approaches need to be made and that's when things start leaking into the media and the paper stories begin.  Other than the initial bout of speculation, we have not seen anything of that nature.  The timing is difficult, so does that not mean they should be working to the tighter timescale they have?  If the process would normally take a month, for example, is it too much to ask they speed it up, even if it's biting the bullet on a compensation package, and get it done in under 3 weeks?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal