collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rory
[Today at 02:36:36 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Time for Randy to s*** or get off the pot?  (Read 38303 times)

Offline jonzy85

Time for Randy to s*** or get off the pot?
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:09 PM »
Still trying to get my head around yesterday and I am trying to take a step back and recognise that it is only one defeat just like West Ham was just one win.

But...leaving aside the results of the past week, I am getting increasingly concerned at where the club is going.

To be honest I dont know what the solution is here. On the one hand I think we need a manager in asap, on the other we dont wnat ot rush out and get just anybody. This is the dilemma facing Randy.

My worry is that Randy doesnt know what to do either. Since MON left he has given us one bland statement and the General has given us several assurances that everything will be ok. I dont for one minute expect them to be disclosing every detail of the hunt for a new manager, but I just feel there is a lack of decisiveness amongst the people running the club.

I dont want to re-open a debate about MON and the timing of his decision to leave. Fact of the matter he is gone.
As soon as I heard the news, I got this feeling that something is very wrong at the club.
Whatever people's opinions of MON are, I think most people would acknowledge that for him to leave when he did meant that there was something fundamentally wrong at the club. We dont know all the details, but MON wouldnt ahve upped and left when he did over something minor.
I've had that feeling since MON left and the club has done absolutely nothing to temper it.

Randy is the bossman, so the buck stops with him. We can give out about MON's timing of departure, but Randy has to take responsibility for letting a situation develop where our manager felt his only option was to resign. Again, without the exact details we cant be too specific on that, but as it with any company the bossman has to take responsibility.

So in summary, am I the only one that is feeling a little disillusioned by the people running the club?
This is not a kneejerk reaction to yesterday's result, however maybe it has brought things into sharper focus.
Im not even sure what Im looking for Randy or the board to do or say, all I know is that what they have done/not done is not enough and I expect more from people who are in the position of running our club. I will say that I am beginning to wonder if we have the right people at the helm.

I hope my doubts are unfounded and I am proved wrong.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Time for Randy to s*** or get off the pot?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
Your concerns echo my own.  We may never know the whole truth about why Martin left, but I think what happens next will tell a story.  If we get a 'lesser' manager in, then it shows the way things are going are not driven for on the field success to the point where we can attract a top man.  If we do get his calibre or better, then the business plan he'll be presented with must be good enough to make him think he can do something note worthy at the club.   

I won't say Randy has done anything wrong to this point, but his next move may well be the making or breaking of him. 

Offline supertom

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »
I think we may also have undestimated just how dire West Ham were. They were woeful. Granted we played well, but perhaps the factor in their own awfulness was more of a factor than some, myself included, may have thought.

I do worry now for the next few games. It'd be nice if we could play Wigan and West Ham all season, the way they've looked, but playing like yesterday, we might get a few canings.

But I echo you're worries about Randy. First and foremost, he has a small team with him compared to many clubs. We have no director of football, which in some ways is good, but could be useful at a time like this. His knowledge of the game might have a factor in who becomes our next boss. The wrong decision as to the next appointment and it could be curtains. A couple more departures and we're not un-relegatable. Other big clubs have proven that in the past.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:44:34 PM »
Firstly

Randy has been the epitome of everything we had hoped for in an owner:

. Not hogged the limelight when things have gone good / bad
. Ensured that MON took the credit for all the good things - so stands to reason he has to take the flak when it started to go wrong
. Supported the manager with funds we could have only dreampt of before he arrived - 2nd highest spenders last year
.How many times has the General stated "In Martin we trust" i am sure they did not trust him to fuck us over with maximum effect so close to the start of the new season

secondly

. If Randy had a fault it was that he let MON have too much control in matters outside of the footballing side, ie wages, contracts etc
. To throw your rattle out at the first time the owner questions why you have bought some shit and then not play them smacks of a petulant child more than a seasoned manager.
. It is quite well documented that MON was openly touting himself for the Liverpool job - If you were Randy that had to hurt
. The fact that MON left and instantly the inner snctum of support functions ( assist mgr / coach / ftiness coach et al) all leave as well tells you something more than just a spat over money - and lets face it bigger and better managers in recent times have been told they have to sell to buy - why would MON be any different

Thirdly

. It is a huge decision who to bring in next - make a rash one and all the foundations MON and Randy have put in place could come crashing down - in any organisation change has to be for the right reasons (not just some keyboard warriors demanding it) and it has to be as smooth as possible. Everyone said that he would be tested on his next appointment so can we just let then get on with it - we can offer our opinions once the new man is in and had a few games to look and change things - up till then give the guy a break - he is no mug and knows what to do - let him get on with it

I think we need to have as much continuity for the players as possible and that i why i feel the right choice was Kev Mc and until such time as he is offered the role of replaced he has to have our support -and so does Randy.

To anyone who thinks he is not bothered go to the bank and take out half your life savings and throw it down the drain - then see if you are bothered. He has spent a phenominal amount of money since he has been here so i am bloody sure he wants to make the right choice for his investment

Leave the people who run the club alone until they make an appointment - whoever he is

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:45:42 PM »
Is it not possible that MON knew that the board, like the fans, had doubts over his aility to take us any further and that they were loathe to give him transfer funds or the Milner money?

I reckon MON bombed out whilst his crediblity in the football world was still high enough to earn him another big contract elsewhere.

I can't knock the board for taking their time to appoint the right successor.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »
Too much is read into Doh'Neill's departure.
He was given free rein for 4 seasons, accumulated wages that took up 85% of the turnover.
The one time Randy and co intervened and siad we need to look at the situation, he had a hissy fit and left.

I absolve Randy and Co totally from any problems we may be having, a new manager will soon get us back on an even keel.

Keep the faith

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »
''Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. ''

This is a good feature Dave - I'm liking the new site.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:47:54 PM »
Sort it out, Randy.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:50:11 PM »
''Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. ''

This is a good feature Dave - I'm liking the new site.

You can turn that feature off if you want though.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »
Nah! You take your time Randy, on the rebound and all that..........

I want another four year relationship not a shag against the climbing frame  :o

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
Just to point out I don't blame him for taking his time with the appointment - that's the right way to do it, IMO.

I think people are guilty of thnking they know all the facts and blaming Martin.  Here's a scenario:-

Randy buys the club and invests heavily, as was needed to turn us from relegation candidates into CL hopefuls.  However, he realises that the extra investment needed to finish the job is too much and not guaranteed to be successful, so wants to pull things back and run us in a more economic way.  Martin sees this as meaning the likely sale of his top players and will stop him form finishing the job he's started, so from a footballing sense he finds that hugely frustrating and walks.

If that's anythign near the truth, then we're lookign at mid-table mediocrity in the near future. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 01:03:54 PM »
I think that is a bit of a red-herring about MON's whole team leaving with him. They came as a package and left as a package.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
Still trying to get my head around yesterday and I am trying to take a step back and recognise that it is only one defeat just like West Ham was just one win.

But...leaving aside the results of the past week, I am getting increasingly concerned at where the club is going.

To be honest I dont know what the solution is here. On the one hand I think we need a manager in asap, on the other we dont wnat ot rush out and get just anybody. This is the dilemma facing Randy.

My worry is that Randy doesnt know what to do either. Since MON left he has given us one bland statement and the General has given us several assurances that everything will be ok. I dont for one minute expect them to be disclosing every detail of the hunt for a new manager, but I just feel there is a lack of decisiveness amongst the people running the club.

I dont want to re-open a debate about MON and the timing of his decision to leave. Fact of the matter he is gone.
As soon as I heard the news, I got this feeling that something is very wrong at the club.
Whatever people's opinions of MON are, I think most people would acknowledge that for him to leave when he did meant that there was something fundamentally wrong at the club. We dont know all the details, but MON wouldnt ahve upped and left when he did over something minor.
I've had that feeling since MON left and the club has done absolutely nothing to temper it.

Randy is the bossman, so the buck stops with him. We can give out about MON's timing of departure, but Randy has to take responsibility for letting a situation develop where our manager felt his only option was to resign. Again, without the exact details we cant be too specific on that, but as it with any company the bossman has to take responsibility.

So in summary, am I the only one that is feeling a little disillusioned by the people running the club?
This is not a kneejerk reaction to yesterday's result, however maybe it has brought things into sharper focus.
Im not even sure what Im looking for Randy or the board to do or say, all I know is that what they have done/not done is not enough and I expect more from people who are in the position of running our club. I will say that I am beginning to wonder if we have the right people at the helm.

I hope my doubts are unfounded and I am proved wrong.

I dont believe there is anything wrong with our club despite the fact that MON left.

Reason? He has £20m + sitting on the bench or not even making the 18 and he is asking for more money??!!! I think Randy acted in the best interests of the club by refusing the petulant Norn Irishman any more funds for him to piss away.

Shorey
Harewood
Beye
Sidwell
Reo Coker
LYoung
Heskey

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 01:06:46 PM »
I won't say Randy has done anything wrong to this point, but his next move may well be the making or breaking of him. 
If you'd said that in May, I'd completely agree with you but Randy is having to find a replacement with both hands tied behind his back, such was the timing of O'Neill. Saying that, I still trust him to find a better manager.

Offline tonyh

• Location: Used to be row 24 seat 64, still is changed my mind
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 01:08:52 PM »
MON took us three steps orward and then one step back going onto two steps back just before he quit.

We have got to start again sadly

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal