collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Old Holte End  (Read 34594 times)

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: The Old Holte End
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 06:40:56 AM »

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
As far as I understand the Witton stand was never tiered in the sense that the old Trinity was. The flat roofed all seat  version existing before the present structure was built for the 1966 world cup games. This is where I first watched my football with my Dad for the first two years commencing 1966. Seventh row back quite near to the half way line.
Previous to this the old cantilevered roof stand had seats with terracing in front. My Mom told me she used to stand with my Dad in the late 1940s on the terracing near to the Witton/Holte corner.
There is TV footage around of the flat roofed Witton stand. Im sure some will remember that on the occasions that cameras did come, a big open platform would be built on the Trinity terracing reaching up to what I always thought looked like giant shin pads on the stand, which would then have perhaps 3 big cameras to pan the pitch and the commentator sitting there. If it rained , those that were not sheltering towards the back of the terracing might try and huddle under the platform. (Reminded me of that when everybody ran for cover last saturday against Westham). 

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 10:46:43 AM »
I used to call the Witton Lane the Bus shelter, it looked so small compared to the other parts of the ground. I did use to look at the Ansells clock in the middle of the roof during matches especially, when we were winning by only a goal and willing it to get to 20 to 5 (back in the times of 10 minute half times and hardly any stoppage time).

Very true. 20 to 5 was full time, I can picture that clock now clicking towards the final whistle. And there was a Bovril advert on the wall towards the Holte end, and Im telling you if Wille Anderson was coming down the wing and he was fouled or just fell over it was always always by the Bovril advert.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »
I watched one from the old Witton Lane stand.   Several from the Doug Ellis.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned the Trinity terracing as I'm sure one of my first games I was standing but quite near where the dugout is now.  When was it turned into seating?
I remember that Charlie Aitken was playing because I remember a woman shouting "Come on Charlie" and I thought she was on first name terms with him!
In later years we always stood under the scoreboard in the corner of The Holte.
I could ask my dad if he remembered who my first game was against but he can hardly remember my moms name these days.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »
The top picture of the back of the Holte,brings it all back, like it was yesterday. We always stood about five or six rows from the very back. It never ceased to amaze me when Villa scored and we all had a "push down", how far apart you'd be from your mates when it all settled down again, then everybody shuffling about to get back to where you were., hopefully with both your shoes still on!.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 03:38:07 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned the Trinity terracing as I'm sure one of my first games I was standing but quite near where the dugout is now.  When was it turned into seating?
I remember that Charlie Aitken was playing because I remember a woman shouting "Come on Charlie" and I thought she was on first name terms with him!
In later years we always stood under the scoreboard in the corner of The Holte.
I could ask my dad if he remembered who my first game was against but he can hardly remember my moms name these days.

Turned into seating in Summer of '71 according to "Villa Park, The first 100 years"

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
The Holte End never looks right with a load of empty seats does it?

Can't bring myself to sit in it, to many happy memories of standing near the back.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 02:16:54 AM »
Centre/ top right of the Holte for me.

Had the very top to ourselves for most of the 93/94 campaign.
I think most used to leave it alone as the old Witton roof used to cut off part of the view.

In fact I think that season the ground looked just about the best it has ever done. The Holte still standing, still the biggest 'end' in British football. The majestic Trinity in full effect, The North, well Ok...if you like that sort of thing and the Witton finally up to date.

The new Holte and Trinity are adequate, fit for purpose builds. But lack the character of their earlier counterparts.

Simon Inglis made a very good point in his Football Grounds of Britain book, that we're very good at building stands to grow into (he also offers criticism that was missing in Villa Park: 100 years for obvious reasons). The initial build is only the starting phase. We've seen that to a certain extent with the Holte façade. Hopefully we'll see that in time with the Trinity too.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »
Sad thing is with the front of the Trinity there isn't a great deal they can do to improve it without it costing a lot of money.

Offline freakypete

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »
i remember being able to transfer from the holte end to the witton end.you could watch the villa attacking the goal in front of you both halfes xxxx i did it against notts county league cup august 1970,we won 4 nil.

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
Here is a good example of the older Witton lane stand.

And here are the mighty Villa being cheered on from the trinity terraces circa 1954

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 06:56:35 PM »
Thanks for those, haven't seen those two before.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 11:30:48 AM »
Is that Frankie Detorri giving a Nazi salute?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal