collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Yesterday makes MON even more of a T##t!  (Read 15746 times)

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
Yesterday makes MON even more of a T##t!
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:42:48 AM »
Andy Carroll showed yesturday that a year in the championship can only be a good thing.

Why on earth didn't Martin send Del boy and Albrighton out on loan last season to prepare them for this year!

Carroll looked very raw 2 seasons ago, he now looks strong mobile and ready.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:31:32 AM by Legion »

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
Re: Yesturday makes MON even more of a T##t!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:52:46 AM »
Albrighton because he was injured in the early January and pretty much missed the rest of the season. Fonz because he was our 4th choice striker when Harewood was also injured.

I agree that Carroll appears to have improved massively and said as much to the fellow Villan I met in a pub in Maidenhead. I also agree that certain youngsters would benefit from a solid season playing regularly. That being said, I dislike the ability of the big, rich clubs to stockpile young talent and then distribute it on loan to further their own ends and the sooner the FA take this ability away, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:58:40 AM »
We're making this assessment of Carroll on one performance? Next thing he will be in the England squad I daresay...pretty much par for the course!

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
I don't think Carroll looked very mobile at all.

He just took his chances well.

Offline Shrek

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:20:22 AM »
Carroll was excellent last year with 19 goals, he has played very well in the opening 2 games!

They both should have gone out on season long loans, because it didn't matter what choice they were they never had a chance under Oneil!

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Yesterday makes MON even more of a T##t!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »
I like the balance to our ex-manager getting the blame for what went wrong yesterday and none of the credit for the West Ham result. 

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:49:46 AM »
I like the balance to our ex-manager getting the blame for what went wrong yesterday and none of the credit for the West Ham result. 

Indeed.  I hope this kind of reasoning stops immediately because it's already very old.

Offline Shrek

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:02 AM »

What a stupid comment.

West Ham was everything Martin wasn't, young attacking team, with youth getting a chance off the bench.

Yesturday was a copy of when Martin was here, lightweight in the middle, waiting too long to change it and bringing heskey on when you need a goal.

Offline supertom

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
Yesterday just highlighted the difference a proper manager makes in a game like that. It was just from the moment the first goal went in, lacking in any direction. The team picked itself was naive as mentioned here. Newcastles solid midfield 3, and our lightweight midfield. Clark's previous two top flight matches were incredibly comfortable. But his inexperienced really showed today. Again, I'd have given him the chance off the back of last week in all fairness. And maybe the injuries meant he had to play. But if there was another experienced option, retrospect says that person should have played. Dunney doesn't look fit either.

Losing 7-0 to a rampart, title winning side like Chelsea last season was bad enough. That was about being outclassed and just caving in. But Newcastle's side is at the very best, with their first 11, a mid-table side. Nothing more. No way should we be mauled like that. It was frightening. And I'm sure O Neill leading us out, we'd have probably won the game in truth.

But yes, the man is a twat. He's thrown his toys out the pram and dropped us in it. I agree Fonzie and Albrighton should have had lengthy loan periods by now. Again, this is down to O Neill. We needed them around last year because the squad wasn't big enough. Since O Neill took over, we've been consistently short of what's required for a season. That's down to dithering. One dimensional buying, and wasting too much money on overrated domestic players. 12 Mill for Downing could have brought us two better wingers from abroad to be honest.  I still think MC Stew will come good, but he's not a top 6 quality player. If Ash departs, we're in trouble. Sadly last season we just didn't have the option to send our better kids out on loan.

Offline Shrek

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:03:15 AM »
Yesterday just highlighted the difference a proper manager makes in a game like that. It was just from the moment the first goal went in, lacking in any direction. The team picked itself was naive as mentioned here. Newcastles solid midfield 3, and our lightweight midfield. Clark's previous two top flight matches were incredibly comfortable. But his inexperienced really showed today. Again, I'd have given him the chance off the back of last week in all fairness. And maybe the injuries meant he had to play. But if there was another experienced option, retrospect says that person should have played. Dunney doesn't look fit either.

Losing 7-0 to a rampart, title winning side like Chelsea last season was bad enough. That was about being outclassed and just caving in. But Newcastle's side is at the very best, with their first 11, a mid-table side. Nothing more. No way should we be mauled like that. It was frightening. And I'm sure O Neill leading us out, we'd have probably won the game in truth.

But yes, the man is a twat. He's thrown his toys out the pram and dropped us in it. I agree Fonzie and Albrighton should have had lengthy loan periods by now. Again, this is down to O Neill. We needed them around last year because the squad wasn't big enough. Since O Neill took over, we've been consistently short of what's required for a season. That's down to dithering. One dimensional buying, and wasting too much money on overrated domestic players. 12 Mill for Downing could have brought us two better wingers from abroad to be honest.  I still think MC Stew will come good, but he's not a top 6 quality player. If Ash departs, we're in trouble. Sadly last season we just didn't have the option to send our better kids out on loan.

Can't argue with that!

Only thing is what was the point of keeping them around when he knew he wouldn't play them!

Offline supertom

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »

Can't argue with that!

Only thing is what was the point of keeping them around when he knew he wouldn't play them!

True but O Neill kept on acknowledging our small squad, and the need for all of them, and then ignored pretty much all but 14 players and ran his favourites into the ground.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »
Personally, I blame Ellis and O'Leary.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 10:19:28 AM »

What a stupid comment.

West Ham was everything Martin wasn't, young attacking team, with youth getting a chance off the bench.

Yesturday was a copy of when Martin was here, lightweight in the middle, waiting too long to change it and bringing heskey on when you need a goal.

No, it's not stupid just because you don't agree with it.  You can't blame a manager for the result of the third game after he's left and also say that the other two were nothing to do with him.

We need to move on and I'd rather not be discussing an old manager, but if his influence on the club is still great enough to affect something in the third game after he's left, then it was also there in the two games before.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »

What a stupid comment.

6 fucking nil.

Losing 6 - 0 to a newly promoted team was a damn sight further away from an O'Neill team performance than beating West Ham 3-0.

If the LMA are to be believed and O'Neill walked because the CEO did the deal to bring Ireland in against his wishes, then he had no choice but to walk and it is Faulkner who is the twat in this.

btw: "yesturday" is apt.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »
If the LMA are to be believed and O'Neill walked because the CEO did the deal to bring Ireland in against his wishes, then he had no choice but to walk and it is Faulkner who is the twat in this.

btw: "yesturday" is apt.

Where's this?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal