collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Curtis Davies  (Read 60167 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Curtis Davies
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »
He didn't get picked because he is crap. No conspiracy.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 10:55:57 PM »
Lets be honest, he's shit. He wouldn't have mad a blind bit of difference today.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 10:56:44 PM »
I wonder whether the main question with Curtis isn't if he's not being played to save money, but why we spent 9.5m on him in the first place.

At various times I've thought "yes, I can see something in him, there's a good player there", but far more frequently I've found myself thinking that he got it spot on himself, and he really is a pub player.

Christ was it really that much?  I must have blocked that out.
I seem to remember it was £8m.

Still more than we should have paid considering what we got.

May have been 8, then, but as you say, 8 or 9.5 isn't the main issue, we should have got a lot more for 8m

I thought it was £8million transfer fee, but we paid £2million to loan him for the season before hand too?

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »
Lets be honest, he's shit. He wouldn't have mad a blind bit of difference today.

Is the correct answer.
Our midfield, being soft as shite, allowed for some awful pressure to be put on the defence. I thought Clark was ok for most of the first half. It was Dunne that was largely shit. With Davies in there, I'd say we could well have been 5-0 down at half time.

He. Is. Useless.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »
How is Davies shit? What makes him 'shit'? He is our most athletic defender with the best pyshical attributes. I think we've got a good bunch of central defenders who we can rely on equally.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »
He lets the fucking ball bounce. That's one reason why he is shit.

Offline TheSandman

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »
How is Davies shit? What makes him 'shit'? He is our most athletic defender with the best pyshical attributes. I think we've got a good bunch of central defenders who we can rely on equally.

- He is unbelievably clumsy and ungainly with the ball.
- He gets beaten in the air very easily.
- He gets sucked out of position.
- He drops a ricket in the majority of games

I could go on.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »
I wonder whether the main question with Curtis isn't if he's not being played to save money, but why we spent 9.5m on him in the first place.

At various times I've thought "yes, I can see something in him, there's a good player there", but far more frequently I've found myself thinking that he got it spot on himself, and he really is a pub player.

Christ was it really that much?  I must have blocked that out.
I seem to remember it was £8m.

Still more than we should have paid considering what we got.

May have been 8, then, but as you say, 8 or 9.5 isn't the main issue, we should have got a lot more for 8m

I thought it was £8million transfer fee, but we paid £2million to loan him for the season before hand too?
That was included in the overall £8m fee.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »

I could go on.
It annoys me when people make up things saying how bad a player is only because they don't like him.

1. Davies on the ball is great... I have no idea what you're saying here.

2. Last time he played for us (Vienna away) he was heading everything and covering a lot for Clark's mistakes.

3. What defender doesn't get sucked out of position from time-to-time? You see it every week whether it be Terry or Bramble.

4. I can't remember his last 'ricket'. I can name more 'rickets' Dunne has dropped... significant 'rickets' too. CC Final anyone?

Point is, Davies has been in and out with injuries... when he is healthy and playing again, you'll see the best of him just like when he had a formidable partnership with Laursen. Funny how no-one called him 'shit' then...

Offline TheSandman

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 11:40:25 PM »
You got me. I've developed an irrational dislike of Curtis Davies despite never having met him and finding him to be fairly erudite and intelligent for a modern footballer when he's interviewed. I hate him so much it overrides his clear ability to make a bad panicked clearance whenever I'm in need of something to curse.

He played next to Beye, not Clark in Vienna too.

EDIT: I would like to point out also that I thought he had great potential whilst next to Laursen and really thought he was going to be great for us.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:42:09 PM by TheSandman »

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »
With all due respect what the fuck do you know from Toronto Canada ? I have seen some shite over the last 45 years but i have'nt seen chairmen pick teams to save money and here in Birmingham, England i am really hurting right now so if it's correct as some are implying that Lerner has told the manager not to pick Curtis Davies, clearly a better player for today's situation that Clark, it's a disgrace.

You're a disgrace.

I agree with you Oscar, don't listen to them. Davies has been stuck on 49 games for far too long now. Something is clearly not quite right.

He started a game on Thursday, so I don't see how he's been stuck on 49 games for very long.

Am I missing something (genuine question)?

new contract/wba fee top up after 50 LEAGUE games, most basic stipulations are the same

Offline mal

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 11:54:24 PM »

I could go on.
It annoys me when people make up things saying how bad a player is only because they don't like him.

1. Davies on the ball is great... I have no idea what you're saying here.

2. Last time he played for us (Vienna away) he was heading everything and covering a lot for Clark's mistakes.

3. What defender doesn't get sucked out of position from time-to-time? You see it every week whether it be Terry or Bramble.

4. I can't remember his last 'ricket'. I can name more 'rickets' Dunne has dropped... significant 'rickets' too. CC Final anyone?

Point is, Davies has been in and out with injuries... when he is healthy and playing again, you'll see the best of him just like when he had a formidable partnership with Laursen. Funny how no-one called him 'shit' then...

1. he can't pass

2. failed to challenge for the cross that resulted in the Vienna goal

3. Fair point; the good ones manage to prevent it resulting in goals being scored. The comparison to Bramble is fair though

4. Last ricket see point two.

He's had a "fair crack of the whip" and been found wanting. That's why he doesnt get a game...

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2010, 11:56:27 PM »
He also looks scared shitless every time he finds himself in possession, which doesn't engender confidence.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »
There's a potential international in there somewhere. Unfortunately his pub player comment will always come back to haunt him.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2010, 12:12:06 AM »
With all due respect what the fuck do you know from Toronto Canada ? I have seen some shite over the last 45 years but i have'nt seen chairmen pick teams to save money and here in Birmingham, England i am really hurting right now so if it's correct as some are implying that Lerner has told the manager not to pick Curtis Davies, clearly a better player for today's situation that Clark, it's a disgrace.

Oh right. This is the bit where you tell me you're a better fan because I don't live in the UK. That I can't possibly know what the fuck I'm talking about because I'm just some Johnny foreigner living miles away. That only those like you who go to the games or live in Birmingham can make valid points.

I'm not going to waste energy correcting you, but I think you'll find you are very much wide of the mark on a number of assumptions you have made about me and others who no longer live at home. Plus, in the 21st century I see everything you see via TV/Internet etc. The only exception being I cannot physically go to games, but I really haven't missed many in a few years. And I stand by my point that you've lost your marbles if you really want Randy Lerner out because we lost to Newcastle. Because I don't recall you posting anything similar after we'd beaten West Ham last week. In fact I dare say you were one of the 36,000 singing "One Randy Lerner" at Villa Park. Go on, admit it, because I was all the way from Toronto, Canada.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal