collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Warnock  (Read 10464 times)

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
Re: Stephen Warnock
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »
He was awful today, as was everybody, but i don't think he's a bad player.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »
He was shit but then so was Dunne, I was shocked that poor Clarke was forced to play virtually all the game today. That will do his confidence no good at all !!

Its very easy to question Warnock but look who's in front of him..Downing and also it was Albrighton who are both very lightweight players. Thats not a critism of Albrighton its just fact

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »
Overated player who is having a very bad spell.  Was half decent for periods last year but not good enough in my opinion.  I have to agree he is not much better than Shorey.

I'd let him go to his boyhood idols 'Pool if they came in with £5m.

Same. I bet he's on about 35k a week too.

Makes you think, I wonder how much someone like Assou-Ekotto is on at Spurs? He cost under half the price of Warnock.

Or Figueora? Or Ilunga? Or Enrique?
Enrique is apparently on £60k per week and cost the same amount as Warnock.

And Warnock is much better than the other three that you mention, even if the last two games haven't demonstrated that particularly well.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
His positioning is abysmal. It's a criticism often aimed at Luke Young but Warnock is far worse at leaving space and not getting back than Luke Young, he stands of attackers too much, his tackling is often clumsy, he is (like Shorey) too lightweight and he is unbelievably lazy (look at Luke Young if the other team break and he's out of position he races back, Warnock merely wanders). I started to realise this towards the end of the last season but didn't imagine he could possibly sink to the level of performance he managed today.

I hope he rediscovers the form he showed in the early part of his career at the club.

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 07:57:36 AM »
I haven't seen anything of Warnock that suggests he's good enough to play for his country. Were his country not England that is.

Yesterday's performance was just another in a long line of abject displays for me, the LCFinal previously being the most annoying as others chose to criticise Cuellar who I felt then had a better game.

In Warnock's defence, he was one of the very few who played 90minutes in Vienna on Thursday, but I still prefer Luke Young at left-back to him and would be inclined to rest him this Thursday, play Young there and maybe even put Beye in at right-back.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 08:01:02 AM »
He's not in good form, but Warnock is a pretty good player - we saw enough to know that in his first few months at the club. I though Luke Young was much the poorer full-back yesterday, but to be honest, of the defenders, my biggest concern right now is Richard Dunne....

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 08:32:42 AM »
Warnock was very good the first half of last season and was then rushed back for the League Cup Final.

He's had a couple of bad games, he might be playing with an injury or just be low on confidence.

He'll be back to his best soon enough, I'm sure.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »
Theres alot of Blackburn fans who reckon his best position is actually in midfield...
He would have been better off playing in that position yesterday.... ;-s

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »
Theres alot of Blackburn fans who reckon his best position is actually in midfield...
He would have been better off playing in that position yesterday.... ;-s

Remember him having an absolute blinder against us in midfield a couple of seasons ago.

I was really happy we signed Warnock, but I have to say I've been hugely disapointed with his performances this calendar year.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 10:29:01 AM »
I haven't seen anything of Warnock that suggests he's good enough to play for his country.

Who says you need to be good to play for your country? Its OK, delirium has set in and refuses to go away after yesterday. 

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
I haven't seen anything of Warnock that suggests he's good enough to play for his country. Were his country not England that is.

Yesterday's performance was just another in a long line of abject displays for me, the LCFinal previously being the most annoying as others chose to criticise Cuellar who I felt then had a better game.

In Warnock's defence, he was one of the very few who played 90minutes in Vienna on Thursday, but I still prefer Luke Young at left-back to him and would be inclined to rest him this Thursday, play Young there and maybe even put Beye in at right-back.

We have an excellent right back at the club. It is the truth that dare not speak its name.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 12:42:01 PM »
Up until the Wolves home game last season, he looked ok, but he seems to have gone backward
since then. He had to be balied out by Clark and Downing a couple of times yesterday, although the weak centre lousy midfield did'nt help. I'll be honest (and i'll get shouted down for this i know) but i prefered Shorey.

Offline H00513R

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »
im of the same opinion. has been shocking since the 2nd half of last season.

very clumsy and accident prone too.

Exactly what I think of him. I've been wondering why he's thought so highly of for some time now.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »
He's OK, needs more confidence.

His passing needs to improve, but so does half the teams on yesterday's woeful display.

Not worry #1 at VP by a long chalk.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal