collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ITV4 Coverage last night  (Read 9416 times)

Offline Chris Harte

Re: ITV4 Coverage last night
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
They were almost clamouring for Guzan to be sent off and likening him to Schumacker in the 82 world cup when he assaulted the frenchman was unfucking believable. Could not beleive that Dowie kept going on about it - i bet every keeper in the land is told thats how you go and collect the ball, even if you knock your own man over
Did they really clamour for a red? Seriously?

They made the comparison to Schumacker/Battiston because the collision was similar. Keeper in the air with knee raised (raised for elevation as well as protection) and the forward going chin-first at speed into it. But I don't remember a clamour for a red card. I even remember the main commentator saying that Guzan was unlucky to have been booked (edit: for timewasting).

Seriously, some of you are only happy when you're moaning. The picture quality was fuzzy but beyond that I rarely take in what the commentators are saying, experience has taught me not to bother. As long as I can see what's happening (the picture quality was poor, but not THAT poor) then that's all I really need.

And of course they mentioned the 'The Mighty Reds YNWA''s game. They're not going to miss out on informing the casual fans that there's another game on afterwards. BBC do it. Sky do it to death too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:31:20 AM by Chris Harte »

Offline big 1st serve

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 10:27:23 AM »
  Just how many times did Dowie say "Thus Far" in commentary??
trying to sound intelligent,
Just 2 blokes sitting in a studio, in London watching a live feed of the game, doing the old Talksport trick of pretending to "be there"
Very POOR

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »
Well ITV didn't have to televise the match, and its not Aston Villa's God given right to be on TV, so I at least would like to thank ITV4 for letting us watch the game LIVE.

Yes the commentary was pants but so what, we got to watch the game. For FREE.

And ref to Dean Saunders looking like he had just come in from the piss and appearing a bit slow: well isnt that just being Welsh?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
Dowie did get one thing half right...He commented that Heskey spends too much time on the floor, he failed to add that he's also completely useless.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 11:37:37 AM »
Now matter how bad it was it could have been worse. Clive Tydsley could have been commentating on it.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:18 AM »

Did they really clamour for a red? Seriously?

No

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »
Crap modern commentators !
Oh for the good old days, Star Soccer and Huge Ones.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »
There is an awful trend with TV and Radio to employ pundits purely on the basis of having played the game. While this is an advantage the primary skill should be an ability to articulate your thoughts clearly, concisely and in a manner that people will understand. Added to this, as has been mentioned above, the role has to be taken seriously and that means putting time and effort into an appearance prior to a game and not just swanning up to a microphone with an "I know it all" attitude.
Dowie was a prime example as is Savage on Five Live which is just one long ego trip and unlistenable unless you consider a limited player with a spitefull attitude and inflated sense on his own importance to be a "character".
On Talksport and Five Live there are broadcasters who are hugely out of their depth when covering sport due to a distinct lack of knowledge or any sort of experience but who think a pithy comment will disguise the fact that they are pig ignorant regarding the subject they are pontificating on.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 12:22:59 PM »
They could have made Barcelona v Real Madrid appear boring that pair.

Dreadful commentary.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 01:29:09 PM »
Commentary was okay, punditry was crap.  Dowie knew nothing.  When you consider the work that Collymore puts into his work it was a disgrace.

He was wrong about everything.  Why shouldn't have Guzan been booked for timewasting?  Because it was only after 51 mins?  Balls.  It either was or it wasn't, the timing is irrelevant. 

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »
Now matter how bad it was it could have been worse. Clive Tydsley could have been commentating on it.

That bloke really grinds my gears.

Wouldn't normally watch any game involving Liverpool or Manure, but thought I'd take a look last night.

Big mistake.

Tuned in at half time and the sycophant was on about Liverpool fans having an updated version of the Torres song due to him staying. Microphone in one hand, cock in the other.

Awful, awful commentator. Possibly the worst of a very bad bunch.
Others are quite often just mildly annoying. If that twat is on I'd actually rather avoid the match altogether.

Can't remember what game it was in the WC, but he was wittering on about the English referee for the first half hour of the match. I didn't watch the rest.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »
The picture quality was laughable

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »
I actually thought Deano and Southgate were reasonable. Almost too positive.

Picture quality awful, Dowie's annunciation was even worse. He was fucking mumbling.

But my god the biggest mistake I made was switching back to ITV1 to watch the Liverpool game. Tyldesley  is utterly shit; an arrogant cock. I think I like him even less than Green who has turned me off all commentary on Radio Five. If it wasn't for him I'd have quite enjoyed that game last night.

Are five going to be doing much coverage? I was surprised they hadn't a game on last night.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
ITV should put that Damon Green chap into the sports department and get him to bang a few heads together.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »
ITV should put that Damon Green chap into the sports department and get him to bang a few heads together.

He only got the job because of his far more talented father.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal