collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Andreas Weimann  (Read 268848 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: Andreas Weimann
« Reply #1395 on: June 30, 2015, 06:13:49 PM »
Weimann has been ruined by a lack of coaching and being played out of position. I hope we have inserted a sell on clause because he will score a bucket load of goals for Derby once his confidence is back.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1396 on: June 30, 2015, 06:35:31 PM »
I agree I think Andi has plenty of talent if played in the right position.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1397 on: June 30, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »
Hmm. His basic ball control and passing are ropey and he's a nasty habit of looking for the moon whenever the ball is in front of him ten yards out

I really like him tho so hope he does well

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1398 on: June 30, 2015, 07:34:53 PM »
Hmm. His basic ball control and passing are ropey and he's a nasty habit of looking for the moon whenever the ball is in front of him ten yards out

I really like him tho so hope he does well

As said, I firmly believe the latter is a mental issue due to poor coaching/mentoring rather than a technical flaw, I also don't think his passing is as bad as you suggest (his pass completion is up around 80% over his career which is decent for a striker, like a few others from the last few years his bad ones are so poor that they stick in the mind).  His first touch is a bit ropey at times but that's true of plenty of players who've had top flight careers.  I genuinely think he's a much better player than Villa fans remember him as and he'll do well at Derby if he accepts that he needs to knuckle down, if he has lost the desire then he'll go the way of the Moores.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1399 on: June 30, 2015, 07:34:55 PM »
That great picture when he stands in front of the Holte arms aloft celebrating his goal

I bet we have all imagined doing that when we were small

Offline frank black

« Reply #1400 on: June 30, 2015, 07:42:37 PM »
Good player if played as a poaching CF. Our last couple of managers weren't the brightest and I fully expect this one to bite us on the arse.

I hope I'm wrong on this, but I suspect this is one of those, but he didn't fit into our system discussions in the future.

Good luck wee man.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1401 on: July 02, 2015, 06:48:35 PM »
I'd rather have kept Weimann than Gabby.  His movement was always good, which meant he dragged defenders out of position a fair bit (which Gabby rarely does), and whne played as a main striker always looked dangerous.  However as others have said he was too often let down by his lack of composure and, ultimately, technique in front of goal.  Too many wild swings at the ball when a bit of composure would have seen him score.  I still think with a decent manage or coach supporting him he could have eradicated or controlled those faults and I think if he gets to play as main striker at Derby he will do well for them.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #1402 on: July 02, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
That great picture when he stands in front of the Holte arms aloft celebrating his goal

I bet we have all imagined doing that when we were small

One of my favourite pics which was my desktop background for a long time

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal