collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Match thread - Rapid Vienna v Aston Villa  (Read 61667 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Match thread - Rapid Vienna v Aston Villa
« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2010, 08:08:54 PM »
Good result from the lads,  well done.

However KM has seriously gone down in my books.  Why was EH allowed the start and then stay on the pitch for the whole match?  It is getting beyond a fucking joke that this man is considered a footballer.  He creates fuck all and IMO we would have won tonight if the balls wasted played to him were played to other players.  It really is beyong the pale.

Apart from he helped create our goal?

It was hardly a difficult pass.  It it was a difficult pass it wouldn't have happened.    You can't seriously defend this player, he is total rubbish and will hold us back.

You're mental. He had a good game. With a team full of kids out he did his job well.

Yes Chris I am mental, Heskey shone tonight, he was a star.   

You are and you've shown once again that you have silly, petty prejudices and they blind you to everything else.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #316 on: August 19, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
Warnock and Davis competed for the worst player on the pitch award today. Davis has stagnated behind belief and Warnock was  just about laziness itself. May be he thinks  as a first choice LB he should have been left at home?

KM is lucky that he got away with  a draw despite poor selections. He needs to make sure we pick a decent  team next week to make sure we progress into the League stage.

Offline supertom

« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2010, 08:13:43 PM »
The ref was abysmal. Absolutely shocking.

The back 4 looked ropey. It was slap dash, pieced together, but the best Macca felt we had I guess. I'm surprised Clark didn't play, but perhaps one eye is on the Toon encounter. Warnock in particular was shocking today. Woeful display. Perhaps tiredness, because he worked his nuts off and had a great game against the Hammers. Beye isn't a CB. Davies still falls asleep too often, and Lichaj is inexperienced, without the aid of a real leader like Dunney to help him through. Guzan still needs to reign himself in. He comes for everything, even when he has no right to. He's just a bit too kamikazee for my tastes.

Midfield was a little lightweight. Hogg went about his business quietly and effectively. Don't think there's much chance he'll make the grade. He'll end up a solid league 1-2 player. Championship if very lucky. Nigel was good today, particularly when he kept it simple. In the final 3rd you know he's not gonna do much when he's there. It's pretty much a given.

Bannan was good first half, then ran out of steam. But there's certainly enough potential there. I can see him being a decent squad player for us.

Albrighton was excellent again. Very positive and bust a gut. He ran himself into the ground. Downing had a good game too. Both players will need to score more goals though.

Heskey was poor. Nothing stuck to him. He showed no attacking adventure. The odd bit of decent hold up play, including the goal to be fair, paper over the cracks of what was another mediocre outing. Don't mean to get on him all the time, but like many others, it's just frustrating to watch him fall over so much and have a fear of being inside the 18 yrd box. Sell him, and buy a decent forward with some of the Milner cash. I hope Robbie K is still on the radar.

Overall though, considering the team, we gave a good account of ourselves. I think Kevin Mac has justified his selection, because the main men should be far fresher on sunday for the more pressing matter of the premier league. Their goal was lucky. To be fair they missed a couple of good chances, but we could have nicked a couple ourselves. Fair result on the day. Good result. With the big guns back, we can take this lot to the sword at Villa Park.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #318 on: August 19, 2010, 08:13:50 PM »

However KM has seriously gone down in my books.  Why was EH allowed the start and then stay on the pitch for the whole match?  It is getting beyond a fucking joke that this man is considered a footballer.  He creates fuck all and IMO we would have won tonight if the balls wasted played to him were played to other players.  It really is beyong the pale.

It was hardly a difficult pass.  It it was a difficult pass it wouldn't have happened.    You can't seriously defend this player, he is total rubbish and will hold us back.

So he did help set up the goal then?

You know exactly the point of what I am saying.

Your initial point was "he creates fuck all" I was simply pointing out he helped set up our goal. Like most of the side tonight, he played well in patches, and not in others.

I just hope KM doesnt have to play him too much this season.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wanting him starting every game etc, but I just don't think he deserves the level of vitriol aimed at him.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #319 on: August 19, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »

You're mental. He had a good game. With a team full of kids out he did his job well.

You are and you've shown once again that you have silly, petty prejudices and they blind you to everything else.

Chris, I think anybody who comes on here should know that your last comment is more apt to a  description of yourself.  I had to laugh as others will no doubt do.  If you look at my opening sentence I said well done the lads so not blind to a good result in Europe tonight.  I am just sick of seeing EH in Villa shirt.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #320 on: August 19, 2010, 08:22:22 PM »
Am I the only person who noticed that our avowed aim in this competition is to let reserve and youth team players get a game?

In that context, sure,  1-1 in Vienna is a great result. Crack open the champagne.

That's not remotely the aim

It may have been what a former employee said but i don't think you will hear KM or, for that matter, RL say that.  KM stated why he had made those choices and I have to say that I agreed with him before kick off, with the possible exception of Luke Young, and now I am over the moon about them.

I just can't believe what I read on here sometimes - talk about fickle fans - one minute it is all about the kids deserve a chance then when they get one people start decrying the team selection.  Which way do you want it?

Oh, and while I am on my soap box I would hope that I do not hear anything about not going to VP next week because "it will be a team of kids" or "well we've won it anyway" or the worst one of the lot, "it's on TV" - let's get VP full to the rafters and shout the lads home and show RL that we, as fans, are behind him and the club.  By having a full house he might not have such a rigid view on needing to bring the wage bill down (not that I think it will be such an issue now anyway but that is another topic)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #321 on: August 19, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »

Chris, I think anybody who comes on here should know that your last comment is more apt to a  description of yourself.  I had to laugh as others will no doubt do.  If you look at my opening sentence I said well done the lads so not blind to a good result in Europe tonight.  I am just sick of seeing EH in Villa shirt.

Bollocks Tone, you only have two opinions -"hate O'Neill" and "Heskey is shit". We all know his limitations but he did a job tonight when we needed a few older heads to help the kids out.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #322 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:59 PM »

Bollocks Tone, you only have two opinions -"hate O'Neill" and "Heskey is shit". We all know his limitations but he did a job tonight when we needed a few older heads to help the kids out.

Well that is one more opinion than you have/had, which was "love MON".   

We do indeed all know his limitations, the whole bloody world knows but he keeps getting games.  Surely playing the Fonz or Wiemann would have been better.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #323 on: August 19, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »
Poor display - why oh why do we bother qualifying ?

OK, we may get through in the end, but ffs, we were inept.

Curtis Davies - I can see why our ex Manager left you at home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal