collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: European trip memories besides Rotterdam.  (Read 9351 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: European trip memories besides Rotterdam.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 11:09:23 AM »

Here's the photo from the Gornik trip in Nov. '77. I'm second from the right on the front row. Anyone know any of the other faces on the pic?. Dave Birts smack in the middle of the middle row. Dave Bridgewater's right behind him. I think it's his wife, Pam, fifth from the right on the back row. The lad third from the left on the back row's still going as well.
[/quote]

My Dad Bernard `Bunny`Hatfield is at the back on the far right hand side.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 06:08:23 PM »
Still on the Gornik pic- the lad at the front on the left (I think he was from Redditch), I don't know him, but he was with us in Istanbul for Fenerbahce & is on the photo in the Ron Saunders Scrapbook.

Offline Bernie

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 06:17:46 PM »
....and on the Heathrow/Turkey one, that may be me at the front on the right, wearing a Fez.
Can't be sure as I as soon as I try to zoom in the right hand side of the picture disappears- can anyone help there?
Great photod by the way, thaks for posting them

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 05:28:59 PM »
....and on the Heathrow/Turkey one, that may be me at the front on the right, wearing a Fez.
Can't be sure as I as soon as I try to zoom in the right hand side of the picture disappears- can anyone help there?

That's me on the right at the front with the fez and holding the Fenerbache flag mate, you must be somewhere else on the pic!

Offline Bernie

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »

That's me on the right at the front with the fez and holding the Fenerbache flag mate, you must be somewhere else on the pic!

Apologies for that Lennie, I'm probably not on the pic at all- I did go to Istanbul via Heathrow, but honestly can't remember how we got back to Brum.
I am however pictured on page 115 of "Ron Saunders Aston Villa Scrapbook", top left in the main picture, deep in the Bazaar, eating some Turkish delicacy. I look rather "tired"

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 04:27:47 PM »
Far right on front row is Golders Green from Burntwood who organised one of our European Cup trips.
Third from right in back row is Chris Harrison.
Third from right in front row is a bloke we knew as Fagin.
Bloke on end of scond row, left side, wearing white shirt is Pete Voake who used to work in the train information office at New Street.

Pete still goes regularly, saw Chris last week but haven't seen Fagin or Golders for a bit. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Inter in 1990- we stayed in France on the Tuesday night and six of us got hammered with the locals in a little bar. When we left the bar was decorated with Villa scarves and we all had St. Ettienne souvenirs, the only thing I've got to show I went to the San Siro and not St. Ettienne is my ticket stub. Back on the coach the next morning one of the lads had handcuffs hanging from one wrist as a legacy of the night before! Can't remember how or if he got them off before the game.

Offline peter w

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:45 AM »
Only went to Atletico Madrid as far as away days go and that was great - result aside, or really lack of seeing us score aside. Had one mate who got so peed that he fell asleep on a park bench and woke up too late for the game. Said he watched it in a bar outside the ground.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »
My first and only Euro trip thus far was Prague a couple of years ago. Great city and good atmosphere amongst the Villa faithful. We had the craic as soon as we departed for Manchester and it continued until we got back, what more could you ask for?

I wonder if that bloke is still on top of the phone box?

Only other one I did was Inter in 1990 on one of Steve Gough's coaches, got to the hotel who's owners were expecting a load of Cliff Richard fans going to a concert. They were looking for an excuse to kick us out of the hotel and soon found one.

A great trip apart from the match.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
Have been to 3 aways , inter in 94, bilbao 97 best of the lot and hamburg 08 still not seen the villa score! we left just before the fonz scored in hamburg as mate wanted to get back on the beer.http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/Smileys/default/sad.gif

I've been away 4 times and also never seen us score a goal! Hamburg, missed our goal for the same reason as you. Also, Inter 94, Bordeaux 97, and A Madrid 98.

The night before the Inter game we were in a small back street bar in Milan with about 20 Villa fans in there. The bar owner was absolutely twatted, and was up on the bar dancing and singing along to various songs (seem to remember him going particularly mental to Rock the Casbah).

He was that wrecked that he was encouraging some of the lads to write/grafiti on the walls of the bar with a thick marker pen! I've got some photos somewhere to prove it. I often wondered what he thought next morning when he woke up to see "Villa on tour" and "SOTC" etc all up the walls.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »
The only away game I've ever been to is the final in 1982 - nowhere to go from there I guess.

Was looking forward to making a trip this season if we'd had a decent run.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »
Inter in 1990- we stayed in France on the Tuesday night and six of us got hammered with the locals in a little bar. When we left the bar was decorated with Villa scarves and we all had St. Ettienne souvenirs, the only thing I've got to show I went to the San Siro and not St. Ettienne is my ticket stub. Back on the coach the next morning one of the lads had handcuffs hanging from one wrist as a legacy of the night before! Can't remember how or if he got them off before the game.

I was stewarding that one. We took him back to the police station and they were happy just to get the handcuffs back.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 10:03:53 PM »
Odense for the Intertoto quality trip. Met alot of friends that I go to the Villa with now........

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 12:00:34 AM »
Bucharest 1997, travelled with Goughies coach. There was only about 30 of us, took us a week to get there and back. We stopped off in Vienna a couple of nights to. Crap match, lost 1-2 i think but the trip was a real eye opener. Bucharest like Zabrze, a typical eastern european city, dark and grim. I remember our hotel running out of milk at breakfast, and drinking in a pub in the centre called The George! I also remember after the match, when we got back on the coach, the british ambasador for Bucharest got on the coach with us and tried to give us a guided tour round Bucharest in the pitch black! We wasnt impressed! Ive been to hundreds of away games since but that trip is the one that always stands out for me.

Offline midlandjohn

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »
My only trip to see Villa abroad was the Hamburg game. My brother 'Andy_ Lockhead_ in_ the_ air' drove all the way there and back whilst I kipped in the back of his Motorhome. Only 1500 miles round trip but I don't feel guilty! We met MON in the City shopping in the afternoon before the game. Think he was buying nappies for the kids team he put out! Hope to see Villa abroad a lot more now so long as we can avoid Rapid Vienna in the draw!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal