collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: All time Premier League table  (Read 18668 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: All time Premier League table
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 10:46:20 AM »
But saying were 5th when its very rare we finish 5th is giving the wrong impression & heightens expectations. 

The point is we've been in the Premier League every season since its inception, and not many other clubs can say that. I would say that, if anything, that table is a truer measure.

For example, Newcastle's failure to be good enough to even be in the premier league for two years since its start is reflected in that table.

As I said above if we're going to take anything practical from this that it has to be meaningful. An average PL finish of 8th place (I think under Lerner the average finish is 7th) gives us a useful starting point on which to judge the performance of the new manager a 5th place overall points total doesn't really reflect as accurately how we've done.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
Looking at overall points is like saying a player has scored 100 goals for you over 10 years is better than the one who's scored 60 over 3 seasons.   

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »
I think that table is a little misleading if we're taking it to be our 'average' position.  The fact we've been in the PL every season since it's inception puts us right up there, but if A N Other side had been in every year and finished 11th every year, there average by this guage would probably be 8th or 9th.  Given we've only ever had three PL finishes above 6th (2nd in 93, 4th in 96 and 5th in 97) and some awfully low ones aswell, I think if you added up all our finishing positions and divided by the number of PL seasons, we'd be nearer 8th.     

Which was the point i was trying to make the other day on another thread ..

We havent been a top 5/6 club for the best part of 70/80 years,
the past 3 years is probably the most consistant any living fan has seen us.

Only if you're about 10.

What about 1996 - 2000? 4 - 5 - 7 - 6 - 6

Since 1990, we've finished in the top six 10 times, and those 10 times we've finished 2nd twice, 4th and 5th once.

I wonder why we bother getting so aereated about the media talking us down when our own fans are so keen to do it at any opportunity. I wonder how our record since 1990 compares against, say, Tottenham's, and whether their fans talk themselves down as much as we do?

It seems that it is only acceptable or even desirable to talk down our recent record.

Offline luke95

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
At the end of the season we will judge how good or bad our season has been by looking at our final league postion & not how many points we have on the board.

Well thats how i see it anyway . 

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 11:01:11 AM »
At the end of the season we will judge how good or bad our season has been by looking at our final league postion & not how many points we have on the board.

A fine and logical argument, which some will throw out in favour of their liking of of tactics and/or style of play, how much they rate the players and thinking manager x would have done better.

I'm with you, though!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »

A fine and logical argument, which some will throw out in favour of their liking of of tactics and/or style of play, how much they rate the players and thinking manager x would have done better.

I'm with you, though!

That's what I've been saying for the last three years when others have been trying to pretend that we've had three years of "progression".  6th place is 6th place.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 12:38:50 PM »
That's what I've been saying for the last three years when others have been trying to pretend that we've had three years of "progression".  6th place is 6th place.

I was coming more from the perspective of it being the best indicator of how well we've done as opposed to the regular arguments we have over what I see as the peripheral issues, but you're right. 

The only proviso I would add is the points total in comparison to what is needed for 4th place is an guage of how far we need to improve. 

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 12:43:32 PM »
Luke95 is correct.

The all time Premier table does not show our mean finishing position. It amazes me that people can't grasp that.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 12:46:39 PM »
That table means absolutely fuck all. Sorry, as interesting as it is, it doesnt say anything about where we are today.

We are the 7th team in the League in terms of resources and if we finish above that it is an over-achievement....just like last year was.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
Does this mean we have to give some credit to Doug?

Absolutely.   One of only 7 teams to have stayed in the Preeeeeeemier League since it's inception, is definitely worthy of praise.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 04:44:48 PM »

It seems that it is only acceptable or even desirable to talk down our recent record.

*sigh*

I think barely anyone has "talked down" our recent record, unless you count not regarding sixth as an amazing achievement as "talking down".

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »
Looking at the way this thread has developed I'm amazed at how determined some people are to talk the club down.

Four clubs have a better record since the Premier League started. All of them have advantages we could only dream of. How about a bit of credit for those responsible??

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »
Looking at the way this thread has developed I'm amazed at how determined some people are to talk the club down.

Four clubs have a better record since the Premier League started. All of them have advantages we could only dream of. How about a bit of credit for those responsible??

Agreed. Trying watching the Villa with 12,000 in the ground losing week in week out in the old second division.The club run by old men with no business sense allowing the club to slowly slide towards bankruptcy. No talking down required in that situation.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »

Agreed. Trying watching the Villa with 12,000 in the ground losing week in week out in the old second division.The club run by old men with no business sense allowing the club to slowly slide towards bankruptcy. No talking down required in that situation.

[/Which very soon lead

Which very soon lead to watching in the old third division in front of 49000

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »
Epic quote fail there maidstone!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal