collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:44:12 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 09:43:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:41:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by waynejames
[Today at 09:40:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:36:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 09:36:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 09:35:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:34:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Welcome Stephen Ireland  (Read 51532 times)

Offline Pants

Re: Welcome Stephen Ireland
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Citeh fan firend of mine reckons he's cack, I think he's talking bollox and think Mr Ireland will do just fine.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 06:25:17 PM »
Fantastic signing.  Ireland has got that spark that we've been crying out for for years in the middle.  Pity the team that has to mark him, Ashley Young and Downing.

He's going to be a Villa legend I tells yer!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »
Welcome SI

Ill be over the moon If he scores 13 goals for us this season.....   

He is something AVFC need in the team.... fantastic signing...

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 06:27:08 PM »
Citeh fan firend of mine reckons he's cack

Messi, Iniesta, Pirlo and Buffon are scarcely good enough to play for Manchester City these days

Offline magic monks

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 06:27:24 PM »
Citeh fan firend of mine reckons he's cack, I think he's talking bollox and think Mr Ireland will do just fine.

I agree, I reckon your mate's cack too

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 06:27:36 PM »

Did he arrive in this?

He needs to spray them Claret and Blue  ;-)

Offline cb

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 06:28:43 PM »
I think if we get rid of Sidwell and bring in another deeplying midfielder (hopefully Flamini or at least someone like him), then we'd have all the ingredients to play 4-5-1 better than most in this league. It would have a terrific balance to it as well, Ireland, Petrov and I hope Flamini would have a lot of passing ability, goal threat and a decent work ethic - we could then bring on NRC for added bite, if necessary, and there's plenty of scope for rotation with the possibility of Young playing Ireland's role and Albrighton coming into the equation. The only thing I think we'd be lacking is gauranteed goals up front, but with a bit of luck someone like Delfouneso or Weiman can come in and help out here.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »
Right, firstly let me say I'm glad we've got him, he can do a great job for us and I'm looking forward to watching him play, reading his statement he seems bang up for it and Richard Dunne has sung his praises too.

I've only got 2 concerns, one play related, the other character related.

- I haven''t seen him play consistently for the last couple of years, I know he's his own man and not a Jimmy Milner clone but is he as end to end and committed as Jimmy was/is?

I kept reading this whole 'waiting for a pay off' business. What exactly is that? Is it a case of 'I really don't wont to leave city, you're putting me out of my way, I don't want to go to Villa so pay me and I will' or is it more of a City have to pay him off because he never handed in a transfer request?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »
Welcome Stephen

Watching that clip im impressed!! He can finish and also pick out a pass. I agree with Tom that I've always wanted him here but would have been nice to have Milner as well but you can't have everything can you?

Online atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 06:33:15 PM »
Really like this signing. He has joined a midfield that has the potential to score and creating a lot of goals this season, Downing, Ash, Albrighton, Delph (when fit) and even Petrov scored on Saturday... welcome and good luck Stephen.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 06:41:57 PM »
*rubs thighs in style of Vic Reeves*

I can't wait to see this bloke in a Villa shirt, I really can't.  Reckon he'll only be on the bench against the cartoons on Sunday though.  Bring him on for the last 20 minutes when we're three up and coasting.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »
Right, firstly let me say I'm glad we've got him, he can do a great job for us and I'm looking forward to watching him play, reading his statement he seems bang up for it and Richard Dunne has sung his praises too.

I've only got 2 concerns, one play related, the other character related.

- I haven''t seen him play consistently for the last couple of years, I know he's his own man and not a Jimmy Milner clone but is he as end to end and committed as Jimmy was/is?

I kept reading this whole 'waiting for a pay off' business. What exactly is that? Is it a case of 'I really don't wont to leave city, you're putting me out of my way, I don't want to go to Villa so pay me and I will' or is it more of a City have to pay him off because he never handed in a transfer request?
It's a pay off in the same way as Dunnes. He had a good way to go in his contract, never asked to leave and was fully entitled to it.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »
Thank God this whole transfer drama is over. I'm delighted that we're getting Ireland - fantastic player, I can't wait to see him in a Villa shirt. This must be one of the steals of the summer. Get £20 million for Milner and in return get a player equally as good for virtually nothing.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »
Welcome to Villa Stephen.
I am really excited that he's here and as others have said, his creativity and eye for a pass will create loads of opportunities for the likes of Gabby/Carew/Ash. We have definately got the best part of the deal. I'm sure the villa fans will get right behind him.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »
I'm chuffed to bits.

I was really happy last Tuesday because I felt we might be more adventurous and interesting and with this signing I think we can expect even more.

Milner is a great player, hard working with a great shot/pass, however, Ireland gives us something we've lacked for a long time, creativity.

It's an ace piece of business.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal