collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Welcome Stephen Ireland  (Read 51538 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Welcome Stephen Ireland
« on: August 18, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »
FINALLY confirmed (unsurprisingly the Man City site is more up-to-date than ours).

Milner's gone, Ireland's arrived.

Deserves its own thread now its actually confirmed he's signed.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2010/August/City-complete-signing-of-James-Milner

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
Re: Welcome Stephen Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »

Aston Villa Football Club can confirm that Stephen Ireland has joined on a four-year contract, having completed his transfer from Manchester City.

"This is a great signing for the football club," said Aston Villa caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald.
"Stephen is an outstanding young talent who will complement the talented players we already have here and we're looking forward very much to working with him."

The club can confirm that James Milner has also completed his transfer from Villa to Manchester City.
The England international won the Supporters' Player of the Year award last season and we wish him well in his ongoing career and acknowledge the excellent contribution he made during his time here.

The relevant paperwork is due to be finalised within the next couple of hours.

&feature=player_embedded

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:13:28 PM »
Before anyone gets too downhearted, just imagine how we'd feel if, a year ago, we'd been told Ireland and Young would be in the same team. We'd have assumed that meant at Man City. I'm excited at seeing such a talented player in the claret and blue.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »
Welcome Stephen. Could be one of the all-time great pieces of business.

Offline supertom

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »
He's been around a fair old while so I keep forgetting he's only 23. We're talking a player who could be a real class act in the coming years. Potentially a new Platt?? I think he's capable of scoring double figures year in, year out. As well as creating for others.

Ever since City began their slurging, Irelands been a player I've always wanted (not at the expense of Milner mind you, but can't have it all). Excellent player with plenty of time to get even better.

Can't wait to see him in action. But Stephen, for the love of god, ditch the pink mate!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
Welcome Stevie.

Could be a great signing for us. Potentially a brilliant player.

Will we be seeing a picture of him pulling the shirt at seven?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 05:20:37 PM »
I'd forgotten how much he finds that space! and his link-up play with Robinho and SRP is awesome - let's hope the rest of the team 'see' all of that.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »
Don't know... is anyone left in the UK to do the press conference with him? I assume they're all in Vienna now.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
delighted to get him AND 19 million...

shame to see milner go, but if any player could soften the blow, along with the oodles of cash, it was ireland...

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »

Stephen Ireland is ready to shine for Villa after vowing to impress his new team-mates and supporters.

The Irish midfielder, who could make his Villa debut against Newcastle this Sunday on his 24th birthday, underwent a medical last night [Tuesday] before completing a move from Manchester City today.

Although tomorrow night's Europa League trip to Rapid Vienna has come too soon for Ireland, he cannot wait to get down to work with the Villa squad.

"For me, my number one target is to work hard for my team-mates, show them what I can bring to the table, show them they can rely on me and that I am going to work hard for them week in, week out," he said.

"When I get my chance to get on the ball, hopefully I'll shine as well.

"I am really excited. I have only been here a day but I know what it is about already.

"It is a family club, I've seen a lot of happy faces here and a lot of friendly faces, so I am really excited for the future here.

"I am looking forward to building up a relationship with the fans and my new team-mates. It is exciting for me to have a new challenge, move here and get settled."

Ireland, who made more than 100 appearances in five years at City, is excited by the potential of Villa's squad.

His first priority is to establish himself in the team after finding opportunities limited at Eastlands last season.

But he hopes to experience successful times at Villa Park and has vowed to help his new club try build on three consecutive sixth-place finishes.

"I have plenty of personal ambitions," said the midfield ace. "I want to get back to playing the way I can - I haven't played 90 minutes in nearly eight or nine months, which isn't normal really for me.

"I've kind of forgotten the feeling what it is like to come off after a game feeling tired, winning or losing. I'm not used to sitting out for so long.

"So for me, I want to get back to playing at the top of my game and I want to work hard for my team-mates.

"I want to see if my team-mates and myself can push on and achieve something massive this season.

"Hopefully I can come here and build on that and help Aston Villa push on to better targets and reach higher goals. Hopefully I can be of benefit to the team.

"I think we have got a good bunch of young lads here who can go on and achieve something for themselves and for the club as well. We've got a very good squad."

Ireland reckons he can bring goals to the table as well as his creative talents.

He was prolific for Man City in the 2008-09 season, scoring 13 goals on his way to winning the club's Player of the Year award.

"My main attributes really are breaking from deep counter-attacking quite fast as the ball is building up, whether you are running with or without the ball," he added.

"I've kind of got a good eye for goal as well - I pop up at the right place at the right time."

Ireland was known as Superman at Manchester City - and even had the trunks to prove it.

After scoring against Sunderland for the Sky Blues, he sported a pair of the super hero's shorts to celebrating supporters.

Asked if it is a sight Villa fans can look forward to, Ireland said: "If the right occasion comes the fans can have something to smile about as well!"

Offline luke25

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:23:15 PM »
Im extremely excited about having him play for us, he's got that bit of unpredictability we need and can link the midfield and forward line like nobody we've had for a good few years, as a bonus he looks completely bonkers

Offline supertom

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 05:29:51 PM »
He does seem to have it all. His movement is exceptional and he's a fantastic finisher. Not only that I don't see him as a purely off the ball player. He's got the ability to dictate a game with the ball, and great vision combined with pinpoint passing.

James who?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 05:32:48 PM »
Welcome indeed.  What I'm looking forward to most is a bit of unpredictability.  We've not had that for a good few years.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »
Welcome to Villa Stephen.

Enjoy your football here, give us some goals to remember and the Holte End will love you.

Good luck at Villa.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 05:39:40 PM »
Welcome indeed.  What I'm looking forward to most is a bit of unpredictability.  We've not had that for a good few years.

Possibly since Merson.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal