collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: interesting kevin mac video interview on the beeb  (Read 13603 times)

Offline BedsVillain

• Twitter:
  • GM : May, 2013
Re: interesting kevin mac video interview on the beeb
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
What a load of claptrap is being spoken about managerial pedigree. The two most successful managers in the league over the last ten years or so have been Wenger and Beetroot Face. One ex-Grampus in Japan and the other from the mickey mouse league north of Hadrian's Wall.

It is too early to judge MacDonald - but based on the success achieved by the academy team over the last few years and the flowing display against West Ham he has made a good impression. We should be choosing the right person for the job based on coaching skills, interpersonal skills, vision for the club etc. Not simply a big name based on clubs they have managed. Sven, Keegan and a host of others all have big clubs on their CVs but would you really want someone like that ?

Back to the video - very interesting. Seems self effacing whilst projecting quiet confidence. I like the way he handles himself.

Agree with everything...well said!

Offline pmk1981

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »
What a load of claptrap is being spoken about managerial pedigree. The two most successful managers in the league over the last ten years or so have been Wenger and Beetroot Face. One ex-Grampus in Japan and the other from the mickey mouse league north of Hadrian's Wall.

It is too early to judge MacDonald - but based on the success achieved by the academy team over the last few years and the flowing display against West Ham he has made a good impression. We should be choosing the right person for the job based on coaching skills, interpersonal skills, vision for the club etc. Not simply a big name based on clubs they have managed. Sven, Keegan and a host of others all have big clubs on their CVs but would you really want someone like that ?

Back to the video - very interesting. Seems self effacing whilst projecting quiet confidence. I like the way he handles himself.

Agree with everything...well said!

i also agree..... not sure about the squad he has picked but i cant help thinking i trust him. !!!

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »
The two most successful managers in the league over the last ten years or so have been Wenger and Beetroot Face. One ex-Grampus in Japan and the other from the mickey mouse league north of Hadrian's Wall.

Although I agree with you in principle, the difference between the Scottish and English leagues wasn't nearly as vast when Fergie came down and he had also managed Scotland at a World Cup.  Wenger managed in France and had a strong reputation, even if nobody in England had heard of him.

Offline eastie

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 04:08:31 PM »
keV mac is a great coach - while the team is doing well he will get the plaudits but once we have a bad spell the tide would turn and people will soon be questioning his appointment.

I'm a bit disappointed by the weak squad he's taken to Vienna- it's a cup we should be trying to do well in , and looks a weak squad.

I'd still go for experience and let keV do what he does well by bringing players through , but if keV gets the job he gets my full backing.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »
The two most successful managers in the league over the last ten years or so have been Wenger and Beetroot Face. One ex-Grampus in Japan and the other from the mickey mouse league north of Hadrian's Wall.

Although I agree with you in principle, the difference between the Scottish and English leagues wasn't nearly as vast when Fergie came down and he had also managed Scotland at a World Cup.  Wenger managed in France and had a strong reputation, even if nobody in England had heard of him.
And Fergie had won a European competition

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 04:10:06 PM »
I would go with Macdonald. He seems to have the players' confidence, and unlike an incoming hot-shot (as yet unidentified)  will not be looking to bin half the squad and buy up multi-million pound replacements.

The best thing that the next Villa manager can do is to get the most out of the players we already have. KM is decently placed to do that.

Exactly.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »
I would go with Macdonald. He seems to have the players' confidence, and unlike an incoming hot-shot (as yet unidentified)  will not be looking to bin half the squad and buy up multi-million pound replacements.

The best thing that the next Villa manager can do is to get the most out of the players we already have. KM is decently placed to do that.

Exactly.

Spot on.  I had been trying to think of a well educated reason to support KMac (as I believe the kids should call him) and this is it.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 04:17:09 PM »
all the signs are that kev mac will possibly get the job :-)

Why are you happy about that? If he does get the job, then for me it'll just show that Villa are doing things on the cheap again.

So we get a ready made replacement with the players trust and respect AND we save a few quid.  It's a win win.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 04:22:05 PM »
Two words we need at this moment in time

Stability - players / Randy / all of us need this for a period to let the dust settle on MON's leaving and the predictable outpouring from MON in some tabloid very soon as to his version of events

Continuity - again a new coach (even someone like Mourhinio) would start to dismantle the squad and it could take another 2 years to get his own in place - I cannot critisize MON for the work he done to put the squad together - my moan was once we had it he did not know how to use it properly. I think we all called for rotation and to see some of our promising youngsters - In Macca he knows everyones strengths and weaknesses and on saturday used them to brilliant effect.

The players like him obviously
He already has the balls to make big decisions (Milner / subs etc)
I love his ethos on playing the game - fast, slick passing and movement - it seems evident the players liked it also

For all the names banded about i see no risk at all in giving him a year - we are too good and have too many very good players to worry about relegation so what can we lose?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 04:25:57 PM »

Exactly.

Spot on.  I had been trying to think of a well educated reason to support KMac (as I believe the kids should call him) and this is it.

I'm coming around to this also if we can't find a genuine top class manager candidate. We clearly need a more of a group effort at the club and maybe with KM we'd get that. He wouldn't be obsessed with being at the centre of all decisions, and he could properly utilize the board, his scouts and other areas of the club that specialize in certain skills. He's a top coach, an has a good eye for talent. It would be a benefit to him to identify a player with his scouts and let Faulkner get him. You often got the feeling with MON that it was him from start to finish. It doesn't have to be that way.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »
We are not going to get the creme of creme for manager job as they will be working. We need to appoint them in late may and june, not a week before transfer deadline. I can't see anything wrong with Kevin MacDonald. Give him a go, he know the club, the system and all the players and work with them for a decade. He can just fine tune the system rather overhaul it like some managers. 

I think our youth and reserve will provide us more players than big name clubs. Do you want a flash harry to come in and change the system and buy 20 players and then disappears.

Offline bob

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »
<3 K-Mac

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
Apart from which, I am fed up with Oliver Holt/Paddy Power types telling us who we should want as our next manager. Diego Maradona, FFS.

Offline achilles

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »
With that squad for the Vienna game he has kept his word and he is going to give the other players a chance. He could have easily opted to take the strongest side but he hasn't, he has made a decision based on what he believes and I think he should be commended for that belief! 

This could go tits up but at least then you can say to the fringe players you had a chance but you didn't take it. Personally I think the players want to play for him and they will do okay tomorrow. Must admit I am getting to like him.

Offline SpenJC

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
I like this fella everything about his mannerism is making me warm to him. He is not a big time charlie and he doesn't look like he's up his own arse like Mr O Neil. Give him a chance i think he's gonna surprise us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal