collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: interesting kevin mac video interview on the beeb  (Read 13569 times)

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
Re: interesting kevin mac video interview on the beeb
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 02:49:39 PM »
That point of view is miles away from it pointing to villa "doing it on the cheap", Stu. Imaginative or not, I think Lerner will be picking who he feels is best for the position, not who is the cheapest.

Ok, ok, fair cop. Unimaginative AND cheap :P KM getting the job would just remind me of Gregory getting appointed, or Sir Graham's second time in charge. Wrong men at the wrong time. And they came cheap.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »
What harm? He's inexperienced at this level and as such will be still learning the ropes while at the same time trying to get us to progress. It could set us back 3-4 years.
EVERY candidate has risks factors associated with them. There's no guarantee that any manager is successful in a new role.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »
all the signs are that kev mac will possibly get the job :-)

Why are you happy about that? If he does get the job, then for me it'll just show that Villa are doing things on the cheap again.

While you're at it, you may as well add Martin Jol to that list. He'd be cheaper than O'Neill too.

Probably would be. The point I'm making is that it's not the most imaginative appointment is it? Based as it would be on KM having coached the youth set up for 11 years and one good performance in his first game.

I'm sorry, I just don't think KM is the man for the job. I think it'd be a thoroughly uninspiring appointment.
I remember people had similar thoughts when we appointed Ron Saunders.

I still think he'd be happier and of better service to us coaching with the first team squad. The man has a talent, it seems mad to try and force it to be something it's not, at least not yet. Leave him in charge until we find the right man, whoever and whenever that may be.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »
I would go with Macdonald. He seems to have the players' confidence, and unlike an incoming hot-shot (as yet unidentified)  will not be looking to bin half the squad and buy up multi-million pound replacements.

The best thing that the next Villa manager can do is to get the most out of the players we already have. KM is decently placed to do that.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 02:57:26 PM »
Totally fascinating. He says he's enjoying the coaching side, which seemed a very guarded remark about the general managerial side, which he may not fancy. I also liked what he said about Ireland, because it's so good that a 'caretaker' has the cajones to be really attacking. So many just go for the bare minimum in terms of results, but not him.

I personally wouldn't take K Mac outside of his comfort zone of coaching, I think it would be unfair on him to try and make him to the full managerial spectrum if he's honestly not the best qualified for everything. Certainly make him a huge part of the coaching process, but not manager.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 03:02:14 PM »
all the signs are that kev mac will possibly get the job :-)

Why are you happy about that? If he does get the job, then for me it'll just show that Villa are doing things on the cheap again.

While you're at it, you may as well add Martin Jol to that list. He'd be cheaper than O'Neill too.

Probably would be. The point I'm making is that it's not the most imaginative appointment is it? Based as it would be on KM having coached the youth set up for 11 years and one good performance in his first game.

I'm sorry, I just don't think KM is the man for the job. I think it'd be a thoroughly uninspiring appointment.
I remember people had similar thoughts when we appointed Ron Saunders.

I still think he'd be happier and of better service to us coaching with the first team squad. The man has a talent, it seems mad to try and force it to be something it's not, at least not yet. Leave him in charge until we find the right man, whoever and whenever that may be.

That could be a problem though.  Say he makes a good go of it by getting the results and the team playing well.  Do we then turn around and say we have someone better suited with new ideas so please now go back to your old role as coach having been a great success in your caretaker role?

He will have a taste for it by then and would rightly feel let down by the club,  We then run the risk of losing him.

With only Ireland in who he already knows he has a squad of players he will know more about than any other potential manager.  On Saturday's performance alone he deserves a few more weeks to see if can reproduce that level with some consistency.

Offline BedsVillain

• Twitter:
  • GM : May, 2013
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 03:07:25 PM »
I'm not sure I know what an imaginitive managerial appointment would consist of. Three legs, four arms and two heads is very imaginitive. Physical theatre impresario Stephen Berkoff taking slow motion, deconstructed training with an invisible concept ball is imaginitive. Or does it mean imaginitive like Juande Ramos, Felipe Scolari, Jacques Santini etc...

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »
I'm not sure I know what an imaginitive managerial appointment would consist of. Three legs, four arms and two heads is very imaginitive. Physical theatre impresario Stephen Berkoff taking slow motion, deconstructed training with an invisible concept ball is imaginitive. Or does it mean imaginitive like Juande Ramos, Felipe Scolari, Jacques Santini etc...

Wenger was pretty imaginative, he was working in Japan for a club called Grampus, one of the most ridiculous words in football.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »
Kevin Mc has made some big decissions already, playing Milner was one when there could have been a lot of fans on his back starting with Albrighton and Clark were others and bringing on the kids at the end. The style of football was great. He also got the players playing for each other and put a smile on theirs and our faces.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 03:17:43 PM »
Physical theatre impresario Stephen Berkoff taking slow motion, deconstructed training with an invisible concept ball is imaginitive.

Now you're talking. He would be well-placed to raid the Rambert Dance Company for fresh talent 

Offline ianburnip

• My Twitter
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »
That point of view is miles away from it pointing to villa "doing it on the cheap", Stu. Imaginative or not, I think Lerner will be picking who he feels is best for the position, not who is the cheapest.

Ok, ok, fair cop. Unimaginative AND cheap :P KM getting the job would just remind me of Gregory getting appointed, or Sir Graham's second time in charge. Wrong men at the wrong time. And they came cheap.

I agree that GT's appointment wasn't that imaginative, but those were difficult times for the club.

I don't agree about JG, personally, I thought we were ok under him, we played decent football and got as far as anyone could have taken us based on the financial constraints imposed at the time. I still remain convinced that had Nilis not been injured and had the Holte not got on the back of Bosko from the off we'd have made bigger steps. Lets not forget that from the same number of games as MON, JG has a higher win %.

Offline BedsVillain

• Twitter:
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 03:41:17 PM »
Physical theatre impresario Stephen Berkoff taking slow motion, deconstructed training with an invisible concept ball is imaginitive.

Now you're talking. He would be well-placed to raid the Rambert Dance Company for fresh talent 

Some young foreign talent from the Jacques Lecoq mime school in Paris would certainly silence the doubters!
I think the masses at Villa Park would love Berkoffs style of angry football...

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »
I for one would not be disppointed if kmac got the job especially if they continue to play like they did on saturday.

Offline BedsVillain

• Twitter:
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »

Wenger was pretty imaginative,

I know Monty, I was being a little facetious. Although Wenger was a bit of a risk at the time. I just don't want us to be 'imaginitive' fo the sake of it. I'd rather we let KMac continue in his not so pressured caretaker role, until we discover he's the best man for the job or we find the right man elsewhere.

Offline Beijing Villan

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 03:59:49 PM »
What a load of claptrap is being spoken about managerial pedigree. The two most successful managers in the league over the last ten years or so have been Wenger and Beetroot Face. One ex-Grampus in Japan and the other from the mickey mouse league north of Hadrian's Wall.

It is too early to judge MacDonald - but based on the success achieved by the academy team over the last few years and the flowing display against West Ham he has made a good impression. We should be choosing the right person for the job based on coaching skills, interpersonal skills, vision for the club etc. Not simply a big name based on clubs they have managed. Sven, Keegan and a host of others all have big clubs on their CVs but would you really want someone like that ?

Back to the video - very interesting. Seems self effacing whilst projecting quiet confidence. I like the way he handles himself.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal