collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by AV84
[Today at 10:36:29 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 10:26:32 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Ads
[Today at 09:59:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chairmen signing players  (Read 12692 times)

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: Chairmen signing players
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 09:59:30 AM »
Shit loads of money and a quality player to boot? It's a no brainer.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
Perfectly sensible way of going about things given the unusual circumstances we find ourselves in.
But it is another reason showing the disadvantages and stupidity of having a transfer window.
A system which allows the richest clubs to manipulate the market to their advantage as they hold all the cards.
The sooner we go back to the old system of a transfer deadline the better. A perfectly sensible system which was put in place to prevent clubs trying buy promotion or get out of relegation at the business end of the season.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 10:07:08 AM »
He's worked with Ireland before so would have a better idea of him than MON, say.
When was that?

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »
It is a bit of unique situation with us being left managerless only a few weeks before the deadline.

I did ask the General was there any transfers that may go through that had been lined up while MON was here...he didn't respond.

Looking increasingly unlikely that we will get anyone else in before the end of the transfer window.

Unless K-Mac and the board are working on it as we speak. I could see perhaps a couple of last day ones going through e.g. Santa Cruz, who surely will be looking for a new home...I'd be happy enough if he found it at Villa Park.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »
He's worked with Ireland before so would have a better idea of him than MON, say.
When was that?

During the Staunton era for Ireland......

God, I had banished that from my memory, nearly forgot K-Mac was involved in that debacle...

He was the man in charge when we lost to Cyprus 5-2 because Staunton was in the stands for a suspension. Seem to remember he got a pasting in the Irish media for not being able to cope with being in charge or react when Cyprus had the upper hand.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
God, I had banished that from my memory, nearly forgot K-Mac was involved in that debacle...
As had I!

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »
When was that?

The Irish squad

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 10:43:14 AM »
Im sure that this was part of the deal before mon left so its stayed the same now his gone. We are also totally unaware of MaCdonald's part in this signing. I think I was the only way we would have got the Milner deal done and speaking for myself im very happy with the signing

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »
We had three options

1) Scrap the deal and be left with a potentially unhappy player

2) Make it cash-only, and be left with a pile of money we couldn't spend until next summer

3) Go ahead, bringing in a new player, and a quality one at that.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
I'll have Ireland on the back of my new (old) Villa shirt. When they ever get released.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »
I hadn't realised RL was choosing players.

I am confident he's now involved in negotiating the deals, for the best of the club, which as Mr Woodhall, sir, suggests above is what he's done.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »
Can you imagine the outrage if Ellis had done this?

Can't believe I'm the first to say this but didn't HDE sign Daveeeeed Ginola when he met him on holiday in the south of France?

That transfer worked out brilliantly!!!!!   ::)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »
MacDonald key to Man City ace Ireland making Villa move

Kevin MacDonald had a big influence in Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland agreeing a move to Aston Villa.

The Mirror says MacDonald will be in charge today when Villa fly out to Rapid Vienna ahead of tomorrow's Europa League play-off first leg.

Ireland, 23, is unlikely to travel as he is still completing his switch from Man City in part-exchange for James Milner.

He will sign a four-year contract worth £65,000-a-week to become Villa's top earner alongside Ashley Young.

And Ireland is keen to play for Villa caretaker MacDonald, who he knows well from international duty with the Republic of Ireland.

MacDonald was the Republic's assistant under Steve Staunton and was supportive after Ireland's controversial international exile in 2007.

Ireland was given compassionate leave from the Irish camp, pretending his grandmother had died when in fact his girlfriend Jessica had suffered a miscarriage.

But MacDonald still remains a huge admirer of the talented Ireland.

"I think Stephen is an outstanding footballer," said MacDonald.

"I thought he was wonderful when he played for the Republic of Ireland."

Source

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »
With the imminent signing of Stephen Ireland we are facing a situation where the chairman is deciding which players to sign. ... My concern is not the quality or not of Ireland, but the precedent that this sets. Can you imagine the outrage if Ellis had done this?
Isn't this just a little naive? - Chairmen who own clubs and put up the funds are unlikely to completely hand over responsibility for expenditure (and with 'Ol Dead Hand we saw the extreme - wishing to see all of O'leary's expense chits before signing anything off). There WAS outrage when Herbert did it - and he seemed to do it more when his trust in a manager was on the wane.
The fact that RL has got so involved in this deal is, I suspect, a reflection of his diminishing faith in MON's judgement and a desire to protect (as he would see it) his investments.
Not that surprising when you look at it.

Online Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »
Yet another sign that Kev Mac is getting the job full time.  Can any of you regular punters tell me if his odds are dropping?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal