collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ciaran Clark  (Read 8158 times)

Offline jonzy85

Re: Ciaran Clark
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »
Clark has done nothing wrong at all in his 2 Premier League games thus far. He has been very impressive.

I think we need to reserve judgment until he gets a run of 20 or so games under his belt though.

The 2 games he has played have been quite easy by PL standards.

It will be interesting to see how he fares against the likes of Drogba.

Also, he is bound to make an error or two and how he recovers from set-backs will be the real test.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 12:57:59 PM »
He looks like he's got an awful lot of potential, a really good player already. It's going to be interesting to see how he develops, and what chances he gets. MacDonald in charge or not, I think we can assume that Clark won't be first choice centre-back. Perhaps he'll play early rounds in Carling and FA Cups, and cover injuries for the Premier League games?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 01:06:49 PM »
Composed is the word. I really was amazed at how utterly unfazed he was during the game.
Wasn't afraid to run the ball out of defence and look up for a decent outlet rather than just hoof the ball.

So, that's him and Albrighton that have a very real chance of making it at the top of the game. Weimann and Wee Bananaman weren't on long enough for me to gauge an opinion so I'll rely on others for that.

Maz, aside from Clacker and Albrighton, who else is on the list?

Well, you have Delfouneso of course who I am still certain will make the highest grade at some point.
So that's three I am sure of.

Behind them I am fairly sure Weimann, Gary Gardner, Eric Lichaj and Ben Siegrist have what it takes.
Gary Gardner is particularly impressive and I hope his injury has no lasting effect on him. Siegrist seems to be a top class, even world class keeper in the making but we'll see.
Barry Bannan I'm still unsure of. He is very talented and there's no problem ability wise but he could go either way.
Shane Lowry is a good solid player. Again, I'm split 50/50 on whether he'll make it at Villa but he's mentally and physically strong (typical Aussie) enough to cope. Another year of developing will make his potential clearer.
Nathan Baker, Jonathan Hogg, Chris Herd, Harry Forrester and the like I'm not convinced will make it here but they're decent young players who may suprise or will play at a decent level. There are others too.

The next crops down I have a bit less knowledge of but there are some bright prospects (Williams, Carruthers, Halfhuid, Berry etc..) and others I hear very good things about. These are basically schoolboys to 17/18 year olds though so it a bit early to judge properly.

The most encouraging thing I have heard recently is that we've let some players go that I thought were promising and why? Because more promising ones are coming up behind them raising the standard. Thats very encouraging.
Our youth set up uis really superb and getting better all the time because we've invested a lot of time and resources into it. It's probably our ace card and as I've said for a while now, the only feasible way we're going to get back onto the top table, where we belong.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:01:14 PM by Mazrim »

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:59 PM »
Clark appears to read the game and can tackle and pass the ball well. Maybe he good in time into central midfield........... like Barry

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 01:13:51 PM »
He reminds of Cahill but potentially better, I hope he gets a chance

In my opinon he's comfortably a better defender than Cahill. Much more assured on the ball, and doesn't seem to panic. On Saturday I was wondering which out of him and Dunne was the wiser head. You couldn't tell them apart in how they managed the middle. Now, word of caution, we've only seen him against Fulham and West Ham really, so there are much bigger tasks ahead. He needs to stay calm, learn from the senior players and his time will come. For that reason, I'd like to see us sell Davies as soon as possible to give Ciaran more first opportunities.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 01:16:47 PM »
That's a good run down, Maz...cheers.

I wonder what K-Mac will do to bed Clark in further?
Does he take him away when Collins/Cuellar are fit and give him 10-15 mis at the end of a game? Does he give him a good solid run of games and hope to fuck that he doesn't make some monumental fuck up that'll do is head in and set him back 12 months? Having said that, a lad with that kind of composure would likely brush any bad decision off and just get on with it.

I have to say that I'm nothing but impressed with the lad.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 01:18:57 PM »
I have been impressed by him everytime i have seen him play good distribution and he can tackle.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
Personally I wouldn't be too upset if one of Collins or Cuellar are sold before the end of the season (preferably the former, as I think he is the weakest of the 4 senior centre backs we have, even though I do rate him) and Clark is given more chance to shine.

Either way, having a choice between Dunne, Cuellar, Clark, Davies and Collins for the two centre back berths, is there a stronger defensive "squad" than these 5 in the Prem? I don't think so.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »
I think Davies has a way too high opinion of himself. I'd sooner he moved on than Collins, plus we'd get more for him. Cuellar is also more versatile than the other CB, and in his best position he is very good.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »
I thought Clark had a great game against West Ham, but I didn't see him as particularly imposing in the aerial challenges.  He lost out quite a few times (though this is a strength of Cole's I suppose), but I compare that to Cahill and even Ridgewell, who seemed to win a lot of headers, cleanly and strongly, very early in their careers.

It's a very minor criticism, obviously, as the rest of his game appears to be top notch, and I particularly like his willingness to retain possession and look for a forward pass to feet whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
Done very well so far.

Would give him the Vienna game, but would bring back Collins/Cuellar for the Newcastle game if they're available...

Firmly ahead of Davies for me though.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »
Maz, aside from Clacker and Albrighton, who else is on the list?
not assuming to answer for maz, but i think delfouneso will make it.. he is a fantastic prospect and for me, the pick of the bunch...

as for clark, in the games he has played, he has not put a foot wrong and following on from his reserve days, is vocal and composed on the ball, while being able to read the game well... the big test will come when he faces a top striker, but for now, he has performed very well for the first team in the limited number of games he has under his belt...

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 01:50:59 PM »
Totally agree - never been convinced with Davies so would definately let him go

Keep Collins / Dunne / Carlos / Clark and yes - i dont think there is a better CM 4 in the league at any club

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
Gay Gardner is particularly impressive

That's good to hear ducky.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 02:02:39 PM »
 :-[

I meant Gary of course, not Gay. Fuck my 'r's.

Actually, better forget that too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal