collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 100% Villa: Places to watch the Vienna game in Edinburgh.  (Read 4310 times)

Offline gerags

100% Villa: Places to watch the Vienna game in Edinburgh.
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:47:29 PM »
I don't know if anyone can help, but I'll be working in Edinburgh on Thursday & Friday and am looking for somewhere to watch the match on Thursday.

Can any of our Scottish supporters help me out ?

Cheers.

Offline lwa03tjw

• GM : 05.01.2025
Re: 100% Villa: Places to watch the Vienna game in Edinburgh.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:37:56 PM »
Should be a number of options for you gerags - what hotel are you staying at?

Offline gerags

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:43:03 PM »
I'm at the Apex Hotel on Grassmarket.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »
Well, you're quite near the Doctors on Lauriston Place. There are loads of pubs on the Grassmarket, but I couldn't say how many of them show football, and Doctors has a good record of showing Villa games.

Offline gerags

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:00:18 PM »
Cheers Monty.
I stopped at the Novotel on Lauriston Place last Thursday but just strolled around, taking in the sights.

Is the Doctors at the top end or towards the Novotel ?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:06:12 PM »
Doctors is technically Teviot place, but it's right on that corner where Lauriston Pl turns into Teviot, 5-10 minute walk up the road from the Novotel, maybe a 5 minute walk from the Apex.

Offline gerags

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »
Nice one, I think I know which on you mean.
Cheers mate !

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »
It is pretty shocking considering this is my occasional stomping ground I have not a clue.

Offline lwa03tjw

• GM : 05.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »
As you're in Scotland,  bear in mind they might show the Scottish teams first.  Having said that, as far as I can tell it's only us and Liverpool that have sold the tv rights.  As such, you should have no problem watching it in any pub with digital tv - which you would hope is almost all!  Note the time below though - not sure if the other game times are correct, but ours is def a 5.45 ko, and the grassmarket will be packed with festival folk if the weather is decent.  Enjoy!

Odense 19:05 Motherwell
Dundee United 21:00 AEK
Timişoara 20:45 Man. City
Celtic 20:45 Utrecht
Liverpool 19:45 Trabzonspor (ITV1)
Rapid Wien 17:45 Aston Villa (ITV4)

Offline gerags

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 12:43:23 PM »
Thanks again.

I know it's an early game, hence asking for advice as I won't have time to check-in and stroll around looking for a place to watch the match.

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll watch it in the hotel and then hit the town.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 12:34:30 AM »
Grasping for straws here.. But anyone know where ican see the game in Brazil? I gave up looking at schedules a day ago

Oh, i am in Natal ( where i am prob the only Villa supporter besides the to nephews of my wife, that got Villa shirts)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:29:49 AM »
Grasping for straws here.. But anyone know where ican see the game in Brazil? I gave up looking at schedules a day ago

Oh, i am in Natal ( where i am prob the only Villa supporter besides the to nephews of my wife, that got Villa shirts)
You're in Natal and you want to watch the Villa? Get yourself up early and rent a couple of beach buggies with drivers for the day, it's the best thing in Natal. They'll take you to several beaches, crossing rivers on rafts to get there and finish the day buggie surfing the dunes near Natal. One of the best days I've ever had in Brasil, I promise you, you won't regret it.

As for the game, I've had a quick look and can't see anything. You may catch the highlights on TV in the evening.
You could try Serhs Natal Grand Hotel, they claim to have a new Sports bar showing all games. Best get your hotel to give them a call.

Enjoy!

Offline Edvard Remberg

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »

You're in Natal and you want to watch the Villa? Get yourself up early and rent a couple of beach buggies with drivers for the day, it's the best thing in Natal. They'll take you to several beaches, crossing rivers on rafts to get there and finish the day buggie surfing the dunes near Natal. One of the best days I've ever had in Brasil, I promise you, you won't regret it.

As for the game, I've had a quick look and can't see anything. You may catch the highlights on TV in the evening.
You could try Serhs Natal Grand Hotel, they claim to have a new Sports bar showing all games. Best get your hotel to give them a call.

Enjoy!
Cheers Mark.. Will do the boogie trip next week when a friend arrives here. Tried a boogie ride at Genipabu with 'muito emoticon' :) crazy rides.

Great about the sehrs, as a friend i have here has had his appreniship there, and knows most there. Will check it out (or accept internet)

Did you go littoral sulmor norte? Which should i try?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »

Did you go littoral sulmor norte? Which should i try?
Did I go what?

Oh, got you. I went north. Praia da Pipa is an amazing beach, so beautiful but I know they've been developing around over the last few years but at the time Pipa was a tiny village. No idea what it's like now.

I stayed at the Ocean Palace Hotel but we spent most of the time traveling around, north of Natal. I didn't think much of Recife but then that's no surprise as I can see old Portuguese designed houses every day. Same goes for Olinda and it's churches.

Offline Edvard Remberg

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 11:00:43 PM »
Sorry :) Meant to say Litoral Sul or Norte...Ipad writing isn't perfect yet.

I was in Pipa in January. Quite a lot of people, and almost impossible to find a good place to park. Beautiful place, and i think its growing and growing. But people here complain about the state is blocking tourism. Something about protecting sex-tourism, by stopping charters. They say that here in Ponta Negra (I have rented an apartament here, front the beach) it used to be difficult to walk due to people. Now its very quiet.

Well - i hope i find a place to watch the game. Found a bar 100metres from here, which a Chelsea supporter owns. Small place...but if being shown I might persuade him to show it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal