collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Was the General right to comment on O'Neill  (Read 42763 times)

Offline davevillan

Re: Was the General right to comment on O'Neill
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2010, 11:39:59 AM »
Talking to someone after the game on saturday, they told me someone they had been talking to at the ground said MON going was like a cloud had been lifted from the club.
General-
I know you have said the screen at the North Stand wont be going back up due to future renovations.
Is there any chance the small scoreboard could be programmed to give a bit more info, ie line ups, half time scores etc.
where i was sat at the back of the Lower Holte, i couldnt see the big screen there nor could i make out what the tannoy was saying as it wasnt very clear.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
Also the fact remains that MON has said nothing bad about the club in his absence, so maybe they should take note of that.
As we all know, action speaks louder than words.

If only the General had remembered that.

One comment on here, and you're accusing him of being unprofessional, yet when O'Neill continually harped on and on and on about the fans booing the shit performance against Wigan, you were one of the people who defended him, saying he was only sticking up for his players.

O'Neill is the one in the wrong, walking out as he did, and there was no justifaction whatsoever for that.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
Ron Saunders position was untenable, and he walked, leaving behind his number 2 who took his team on to win the European Cup.
Comparing those two to that runaway shit you seem to want to defend is pathetic even for you.

Why was it untenable? He fell out over a contract and walked, he didn't have to he chose to.

It's not about defending him (although I'm not surprised that your addled brain is unable to grasp the subtleties) it's about offering a counterpoint to the assumed line that walking out can only mean he didn't give a shit.

I'd have thought for a man with such a one-eyed hatred of O'Neill that would have been a cause for celebration but that, I suppose, would have meant you displaying a measure of sincerity seemingly beyond you.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »
Also the fact remains that MON has said nothing bad about the club in his absence, so maybe they should take note of that.
As we all know, action speaks louder than words.

If only the General had remembered that.

One comment on here, and you're accusing him of being unprofessional, yet when O'Neill continually harped on and on and on about the fans booing the shit performance against Wigan, you were one of the people who defended him, saying he was only sticking up for his players.

O'Neill is the one in the wrong, walking out as he did, and there was no justifaction whatsoever for that.

As I've said before, two wrongs don't make a right.

I haven't accused him of being unprofessional, I've suggested that it would have been better displaying the dignity that has characterised their tenure to date rather than indulging in what appeared to me to be a point scoring exercise.

It's done now and just because I disagreed with that it doesn't mean that I've turned against the board, far from it in fact, it just means that on that one occassion I wasn't particularly happy with the line they took.

Offline Risso

« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2010, 11:59:05 AM »

I haven't accused him of being unprofessional, I've suggested that it would have been better displaying the dignity that has characterised their tenure to date rather than indulging in what appeared to me to be a point scoring exercise.

It's done now and just because I disagreed with that it doesn't mean that I've turned against the board, far from it in fact, it just means that on that one occassion I wasn't particularly happy with the line they took.

At least you've admitted that O'Neill was wrong afterall.  Shame you couldn't have done that while he was still here.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »
Ron Saunders position was untenable, and he walked, leaving behind his number 2 who took his team on to win the European Cup.
Comparing those two to that runaway shit you seem to want to defend is pathetic even for you.

That's all VERY subjective.  Who's to say that MON did not genuinely feel his position was also untenable?  And he left behind a very competent coach in Kevin MacDonald.
I think if he'd had a chance to take KM he would have done. Fortunately Kevin MacDonald and Tony MacAndrew are both loyal to the club, having been here before MON. We should be grateful they weren't Martin's men or we'd have the General coaching the team (he'd probably make a good fitness coach) and Randy managing the team and doing 'a Fergie' by refusing to speak to the BBC.. and every other media.

You are right though, Kevin MacDonald is a very good coach, at least appears to be on what I've seen of the Reserves matches, not forgeting Saturday. MON has gone, it's time to move on.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »

At least you've admitted that O'Neill was wrong afterall.  Shame you couldn't have done that while he was still here.
Baby steps, Risso. Baby steps..

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »

Eh? Have you borrowed Everall's brain?

How could I 'admit' he was wrong for the timing of his walk out while he was still here?

Offline Risso

« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »

Eh? Have you borrowed Everall's brain?

How could I 'admit' he was wrong for the timing of his walk out while he was still here?

Nope, I am fully in control of my faculties thanks.

The "wrong" in this case was O'Neill slagging off the fans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal