collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marc Albrighton  (Read 16075 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Marc Albrighton
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 01:59:44 PM »
If he can play with both feet then we have a real prospect on our hands.  Anyway, he didn't need to be two footed against his defender on Saturday.  Let's judge his performances in greater depth when he's up against better defenders than West Ham's.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 02:05:51 PM »
No variety to his play? He's made one Premier League start and he didn't need to vary things up, because what he was doing was murdering them. That seems incredibly over critical.

I'm not criticising him, I'm just saying we shouldn't get carried away with him until we've seen him over a good chunk of the season.

He was an unknown quantity to West Ham on Saturday, after that performance I'm sure Newcastle will be paying him closer attention.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
I agree we need to keep the expectations down but a big part of what he did against west ham was very reminiscent of what Beckham was doing when he broke into the Man U team, namely making half a yard of space and whipping quality across the box.  That's his pace and technique are also good enough for him to go past people adds an extra feather to his cap, but it's the quality crossing that will see him good.  The good thing there is that it's something that's very difficult to defend against for 90minutes, so he should still create against the top sides as well, so there's definitely reason to be optimistic about him.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 02:28:06 PM »
The best thing with how we played yesterday is that Ashley Young being give a free role behind JC, meaning that if the opposition do double up on him, it often means one or even two players can get quite easily dragged out of position, therefore creating more space for Albrighton and Downing as it was often the full-backs trying to mark him, which is part of the reason why those two were so good yesterday.

If Albrighton continues to develop like he has since Moscow we have an unbelievable prospect on our hands, which is part of the reason I hope KMac gets the job as he will understand that with Albrighton and some of the other youngsters on the fringes of the first XI, over playing them could ruin their prospects at an early age, so it's about being careful, if albrighton plays about 20-30 of our total games depending on cup runs it will have been an ideal season for him.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »
Indeed. You cannot stick two men on Young if he's using the entire width of the pitch to roam about on.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »
The best thing with how we played yesterday is that Ashley Young being give a free role behind JC, meaning that if the opposition do double up on him, it often means one or even two players can get quite easily dragged out of position, therefore creating more space for Albrighton and Downing as it was often the full-backs trying to mark him, which is part of the reason why those two were so good yesterday.

It also helps Ashley himself as it's much harder to double up on him when he's playing that free role.  They can hardly have 2 players following him everywhere he goes, can they?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »
A big thing it highlights is that even playing from the left Young would be effective (and therefore a 442 would be effective) if he wasn't tied to the touchline.  As soon as you move inside you give the full back a choice to stick or twist, by being rigid to wings, as we often were last year, whilst providing width, you're also providing an easy target for their defence.

In all honesty that would be my biggest criticism on MoN, he was steadfast in the belief that wingers should be out wide waiting for the ball.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »

It also helps Ashley himself as it's much harder to double up on him when he's playing that free role.  They can hardly have 2 players following him everywhere he goes, can they?

Imagine the same players but now playing in an exciting and very dangerous formation - who would have thought it a few months ago

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »
I wonder if he could ever play the free role that young's currently filling.

If he could, him and young could maybe keep swapping, which could piss all over any opposition man-marking.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 03:14:29 PM »
he has played up front for reserve and youth games, so there is no reason why he couldnt float behind a main striker...

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »

Imagine the same players but now playing in an exciting and very dangerous formation - who would have thought it a few months ago
*cough*

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
In all honesty that would be my biggest criticism on MoN, he was steadfast in the belief that wingers should be out wide waiting for the ball.

We played what was almost universally agreed to be a better style of football on Saturday, yet that was still with two widemen.  I think the difference was that they seemed more willing to take their man on, which was something previously only Ash would do.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »
Luke Young linked up very well indeed with Marc and was a big factor in our success.
Neither of those two would have been playing if O'Wankstain was still in charge.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »
A number of times in the Wet Spam match he cut in off the right wing and crossed right footed, so I don't believe defenders will be comfortable to just show him the line.  With his pace alone they could just channel him to the corner flag but as we saw when he cuts inside he can leave defenders standing, was it Ilunga who swiped his legs just outside the box in the 2nd half?  They will have to double mark him in case he does that.  Although of course I would prefer it if he developed his left peg 'n' all.

The future's bright, the future's claret and blue.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:42:18 PM by DrGonzo »

Online SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »

We played what was almost universally agreed to be a better style of football on Saturday, yet that was still with two widemen.  I think the difference was that they seemed more willing to take their man on, which was something previously only Ash would do.

The Times report pointed out that both wingers looked to have been instructed to play far higher up the pitch reducing the counter attacking game but putting far more pressure on the opposition defence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal