collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Director of Football to help out Kevin  (Read 8956 times)

Offline BILL DE VALL

Re: Director of Football to help out Kevin
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »
If we keep playing with this flair gusto and positivity
It's Big kev's job to lose
randy must surely appreciate how much happier that squad looks/feels-the young players now all feel they can get a chance in the team(see barry bannan)
all for no extra cost(at a reduced cost in fact)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:25:45 PM by BILL DE VALL »

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »
A good win on Thursday and that £3m a year saving will be looking very attractive...

Offline evalast1910

• GM : 29.02.2016
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
Me and my dad were talking about this earlier and I was going to start a similar thread. I think this it what will happen; because its how team in America are run and that's what Lerner knows.

Personally I think Kev Mac is a great coach he's proved it with the reserves. I think as he said in the interview he does what he does best "coaching" were as if you had someone like SGT or Sven there to scout and recurit players and give them to Kev Mac to coach and use tatics etc I think it would work.

However as we have said it hasn't worked in England before but I think that is because you don't have the right coach in there with Kev Mac he has no EGO were as most of the coach roles do.

So

Director of Football - SGT
Head Coach - Kev Mac.

Works for me.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »
How about a more low profile "General Manager" type who works with the Club owner to put the squad together (with input from the "Head Coach") in the NFL/MLB/NBA style ?

America Is Not The World

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »
Let's not complicate matters. We need to have a football manager. I don't have a problem with someone else handling the transfers once the manager has identidied the targets, but the last thing we need is a back seat driver situation.

Offline Moorski

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »
I think that KMc  needs time to decide if he wants the role full-time, it is totally different doing the job day in day out, it would be a big change to his life & he would have to go home with the stress of the job each day, would he want that ? Give it time, it is one game we have won & He might decide that he is happy doing his reserve youth team job, remember he has a family & it would impact on them, he has a lot to consider.

We do not need a DOF just the right Manager & coaching staff.

Offline robbyfvillain

• GM : 18.04.2021
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »
Whilst appreciating the director of football role has never worked yet in english football, is this not because the all the managers have already experienced being in total charge of a club and have difficulty fitting in to this role.

There could be many advantages to this system in as much as the club would set up the scouting network etc and it would not simply disappear when the manager walks or is removed in a couple of years.

Online TonyD

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »
Director of football?

Come on it's bollocks.   

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 11:12:12 PM »
I wonder if we still have scouting informaion from Ian Storey Moore and co. So Kevin can look at it for information about the central forward of Florentina for example.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 12:56:10 AM »
If we appoint Super Kevin MacDonald as Head Coach and leave him to coach, pick and manage the team while getting someone in to do scouting, buying and selling.

Who would you pick for a director of football similar method but less business stuff to Mike Holmgren.

Brian Little ?

Ron Atkinson ?

Graham Taylor ?

Why not try Jimmy Hogan or George Ramsay?

Offline robbyfvillain

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 07:12:41 AM »
Whilst he wasn't called director of football wasn't Peter Taylor effectively a director of football in as much as he identified who to buy. That partnership was pretty effective.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »
I suppose it depends how well the MacDonald, Cowans, MaccAndrew trio are connected and whether between them they can rise above coaching and see the bigger picture ...
all without losing focus on their current day-jobs. Difficult in the pressure-situation they're in.
If MacD is a real candidate then maybe what he needs is a bloody good Chief Scout with network; between the trio and Chief Scout they'll have the footballing nous such that a DoF is unnecessary.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 07:58:28 AM »
How about a more low profile "General Manager" type who works with the Club owner to put the squad together (with input from the "Head Coach") in the NFL/MLB/NBA style ?

America Is Not The World

Offline robbyfvillain

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
I suppose it depends how well the MacDonald, Cowans, MaccAndrew trio are connected and whether between them they can rise above coaching and see the bigger picture ...
all without losing focus on their current day-jobs. Difficult in the pressure-situation they're in.
If MacD is a real candidate then maybe what he needs is a bloody good Chief Scout with network; between the trio and Chief Scout they'll have the footballing nous such that a DoF is unnecessary.

I agree and have always felt that football clubs almost subcontract out the scouting as part of the managers role which then disappears when he leaves. It  would surely be better to develop a top class scouting network which is run by the club and developed over time which isnt dismantled every couple of years.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 08:13:29 AM »
Give it to Mac or get someone else.

A manager has to manage, not worry about what someone upstairs is doing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal