collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sunday Supplement Today  (Read 40762 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Sunday Supplement Today
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
As for the show, its was typical sycophantic nosnense from O’Neill’s media cronies, who hadn’t watched the game. Hence why they were able to spout the ridiculous line of “oh, they on;y won because it was O’Neill’s team”- yes, thankfully playing nothing like O’Neill’s team, but more akin to Big Fat Ron’s.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 11:37:29 AM »
Yep caught a bit of that.  Nearly made me want to puke my breakfast up.

Two seasons of dire football at home.  O'Neill leaves.  Inspired display of inventive, clever football ensues.  You'd think the thick bastards would notice that, but no.

As I said on the match thread we did the same to Burnley, Hull and Bolton last season. If we start playing like that every week then you'll have a point but at the moment it's one result against a shit side.

Very one-sided opinions I thought from the journalists and Holt was particularly disrespectful but equally I'm not buying the party line that they want us to believe of Randy good, Martin bad.

Did we bollocks. We've not played like that under O'Neill.

I remember Bolton and Hull being complete walkovers but you forget during the Burnley game that we started incredibly badly, went a goal down and there was massive discontent in the stands at half-time. I was talking to a couple of chaps that day who were season ticket holders and they weren't going to bother with the League Cup Final because of the way we were playing and had generally played under O'Neill. I myself didn't mind the way we played but I'm switched on enough to know that I was in a minority that was decreasing all the time.

Offline Ads

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »
 Burnley was a brilliant 10-15 minutes. Whatever. We played well under O'Neill, mainly away from home and only occasionally at B6. But we never played with such freedom, movement or vigour.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
Whilst we were dire at home for most of the last couple of seasons, to say we never surpassed yesterday's match is jus wrong.

Birmingham 5-1, Bolton 5-1 last season, 1-0 at Old Trafford, 2-1 against Chelsea at VP, 2-0 at Stamford Bridge,  5-0 against Derby. Plenty of emphatic wins against poor sides, and some excellent displays against the top teams. It went sour towards the end, but we weren't always shit under O'Neill, far from it.

Offline Ads

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 11:44:39 AM »
 As I said, we never played in the manner we did yesterday, despite having played well.

Away from home it was a different kettle of fish.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I do think Oliver Holt has an unbelievably punchable face.

Offline Ads

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 11:45:40 AM »
I am surprised you can see his face, its lodged so far up O'Neill's arse.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »
Luckily I didn't watch it but there was similar drivel from Terry venables in his column in the sun, he said we were not ever going to be a top 4 club and we would now be a selling club.

I just threw it in the bin.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »
You always have to understand the context of SS comments. MON is a respected and popular figure amongst football correspondents.Firstly their judgement will be coloured by what he has told them. Secondly they will regret losing him from "the circuit".

I thought that their comments ref " the general" were offensive.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 11:54:06 AM »

Two seasons of dire football at home.  O'Neill leaves.  Inspired display of inventive, clever football ensues.  You'd think the thick bastards would notice that, but no.

As I said on the match thread we did the same to Burnley, Hull and Bolton last season. If we start playing like that every week then you'll have a point but at the moment it's one result against a shit side.

Very one-sided opinions I thought from the journalists and Holt was particularly disrespectful but equally I'm not buying the party line that they want us to believe of Randy good, Martin bad.

Yes we have and you know it. You seem to be trying so hard to hide that fact that you were until a week ago a big fan of O'Neill's that you've lost control of your senses.

He dropped us in it by walking out when he did, no excuses for that but it's ridiculous to attempt to rewrite history to suit a mood.

Offline Ads

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »
No we didn’t. We played well, but never in the manner we played yesterday.

I was a fan of O’Neill. I’d temper my friend’s angst towards him by mentioning results. It also helps that I follow the Villa away so had the benefit of our away performances that others didn’t. But a lot has changed in 7 days and one event in particular that has completely coloured my judgement of O’Neill.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 12:18:31 PM »

Yes we have and you know it. You seem to be trying so hard to hide that fact that you were until a week ago a big fan of O'Neill's that you've lost control of your senses.

He dropped us in it by walking out when he did, no excuses for that but it's ridiculous to attempt to rewrite history to suit a mood.
The unique thing about yesterday is we performed well for 90 minutes. Very few teams, never mind MON's teams, can achieve that level of dominance.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »
The otehr difference with yesterday was it not being us on the break that got the goals. Even after going 1 up we did not resort to playing on the counter which was our 1 tactic under O'Neill. The Blues 5-1 is the only time I recall us dominating quite as much in a game.We have certainly not passed and moved, and crossed, and interchanged as well as yesterday since we mauled Blues. MON had tactically become so narrow minded with his style there was not freedom. In his first 2 years he was more flexible.

Anyone mentioning Bolton 5-1 last season is frankly mad. The team selection was forced on MON and it was almost a performance in spite of him.

Journalists having a sly pop at the board are completely in the wrong IMO. Martin has screwed us 5 days before the season. He was their little pet, and are simply bitter that one of their mates has walked. Toys, pram, thrown.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »

Of course we have. Plenty of times. You choose to not remember it though because you don't like MON.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »

with comments suggesting the General did RL's dirty work I can believe that. To think I get accused of showing disrespect to the General.
That sort of journalism is made possible by there being little or no 'answer' from Villa Park. Had they suspected an intelligent tirade in reply they would have shown more caution in making such statements.
But then when fans think the General is doing 'dirty work' in trying to countermand such shit what can you expect.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal