collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Maradona for Villa ??  (Read 18124 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Maradona for Villa ??
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:47:07 AM »
Ive said before on this forum I dont know why every sunday morning I waste a £1 buying the rag known as the Sunday Mercury.
This week their front page suggests that an ex coke snorting world cup managerial flop and part time basketball player is interested in becoming our next manager.
The front page and two full pages inside is taken up with this rubbish.

http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-fc-news/2010/08/15/diego-maradona-in-sensational-bid-to-become-aston-villa-manager-66331-27064182/

Im off to read the column by that wet liberal George Tyndale now, followed by the letters page which is usually a diatribe from people I suspect are BNP activists telling us how terrible the country is these days because of the immigrants. Why do i bother ?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Maradona for Villa ??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »
Quote from: Maradona's agent Walter Soranio
“He loves the English countryside and your respect for privacy"

Is he thinking of a different England?

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:57 AM »
Just about to point out the same thing, but rescued by the "their has been 1 reply do you want to review message". I can't believe we employ a Mod from VT to check out that on every post.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:15:16 AM by Somniloquism »

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:12:09 AM »
Is Messi signing too??

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »
I would not want maradona as a manager it would be crazy to have him in the dugout.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:06:05 AM »
The only way I'd have that c*** at Villa Park is if he was going on a nationwide tour of repentance for being a cheating weasel and was offering to be pelted with rotten food and martial arts weaponry for an evening.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
Best laugh I've had in ages.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »
He will walk out in 5 months. But it would be interesting with him. So which Argentine forwards can he sign for us :) we could do with 2 world class striker and a midfielder. He done a good job with Argentina in world cup but doesn't know how to defend.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »
Mercury = bollocks.

But lets just for a moment assume that, having slipped into a parallel dimension, this story has some truth to it.

It would be a media circus. Like it would be with Sven, but even bigger. I don't want my club to be a media circus, I want it to be successful on the pitch.

As pointed out by curiousorange, he is an unrepentant cheat and I've still not forgiven him for 1986 - I know that holding bad feelings for so long is unhealthy but there you go. It's strange that I detest the other person complicit in that incident but for totally different reasons.

He doesn't speak a word of English, so would be at an instant disadvantage in expressing his ideas.

There isn't the lovefest for him here that he enjoys in his native country. As soon as this fact sinks in he'd be off, leaving us with the task of finding his replacement.

Having stated all of the above, the most important thing to remember is that he's never achieved anything of note as a club manager.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 11:23:05 AM »
I watched a docu on Maradona recentley on TV.   He had so much hatred for England all the way through that programme...

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »
Mercury = bollocks.

But lets just for a moment assume that, having slipped into a parallel dimension, this story has some truth to it.

It would be a media circus. Like it would be with Sven, but even bigger. I don't want my club to be a media circus, I want it to be successful on the pitch.

As pointed out by curiousorange, he is an unrepentant cheat and I've still not forgiven him for 1986 - I know that holding bad feelings for so long is unhealthy but there you go. It's strange that I detest the other person complicit in that incident but for totally different reasons.

He doesn't speak a word of English, so would be at an instant disadvantage in expressing his ideas.

There isn't the lovefest for him here that he enjoys in his native country. As soon as this fact sinks in he'd be off, leaving us with the task of finding his replacement.

Having stated all of the above, the most important thing to remember is that he's never achieved anything of note as a club manager.

I know we have a tendency to view our club through rose-tinted specs and assume that nobody wishes us ill (apart from the obvious rivals) but if Maradona was Villa manager we'd be hated more than Money City, the 'The Mighty Reds YNWA', Man Yoo, Chelski, the Arse, Spuds and Newky Brown Ale combined, to the seventy-seventh power. Squared.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:36:39 AM »
About as much chance of happening as President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has of becoming the next Villa manager if this extract from Diego’s Wikipedia is anything to go by...
Political views
In recent years, Maradona has shown sympathy to left-wing ideologies. He became friends with Cuban leader Fidel Castro while receiving treatment on the island. He also has a portrait of Fidel Castro tattooed on his left leg and one of Fidel's second in command, fellow Argentine Che Guevara on his right arm.[61] In his autobiography 'El Diego' he dedicated the book to several people and groups of people including Fidel Castro, he wrote "To Fidel Castro and, through him, all the Cuban people".[62]
Maradona is also a supporter of Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez. In 2005 he visited Venezuela with the specific aim of meeting Chávez, who received him in Miraflores. After this meeting Maradona claimed that he had come with the aim of meeting a "great man" ("un grande" in Spanish) but he had met instead a gigantic man ("un gigante" in Spanish, meaning he was more than great).
"I believe in Chávez, I am Chavista. Everything Fidel does, everything Chávez does, for me is the best."[63]
He has declared his opposition to what he identifies as imperialism, notably during the 2005 Summit of the Americas in Mar del Plata, Argentina. There he protested George W. Bush's presence in Argentina, wearing a T-shirt labeled "STOP BUSH" and referring to Bush as "human garbage".[64][65]
In August 2007, Maradona went further, making an appearance on Chávez's weekly television show and saying:"I hate everything that comes from the United States. I hate it with all my strength." [66]
In December 2007, Maradona presented a signed shirt with a message of support to the people of Iran: it is to be displayed in the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs' museum.[67]

Im sure the General would welcome him...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:39:59 AM by Leighton »

Offline abc123cox

• Villa-Till-I-Die
    • UPtheVILLA Aston Vilal Fans, News and Banter page
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »
Argentina legend Diego Maradona has informed Aston Villa he would be willing to take over the Villa Park hotseat.
Posted on August 15, 2010 at 6:21 AM   comments (0) 

Martin O’Neill resigned as boss last week, with Kevin McDonald leading them to a 3-0 opening-day victory over West Ham in the caretaker role.

Ajax boss Martin Jol and USA coach Bob Bradley have been linked with the West Midlands club - but Maradona believes he could be the man to lead them this season.

"I think Diego would be very open to the idea of coming to England and managing Aston Villa," his official European representative, Walter Soriano, told the Sunday Mercury.

"He is very attracted to English football and the way of life in your country and I know he would be very willing to move there.

"He loves the English countryside and your respect for privacy, so he would be very happy there, especially at a big club like Aston Villa."

Maradona left his post of Argentina coach in acrimonious circumstances last month, having impressed at the World Cup until La Albiceleste were smashed 4-0 by Germany in the quarter-finals.

Soriano added: "If the owner Randy Lerner wants to make him a serious offer, I am sure he would get a very positive response.

"Diego is currently talking with a number of clubs in Europe – including another one in England – about a management role and is looking at his options carefully."

Maradona has had a chequered football career. Regarded as one of the all-time great players alongside Pele, he suffered from alcohol and drug problems later - culminating in him being thrown out of the 1994 World Cup in the USA.

He struggled in a few coaching posts before emerging from a stomach-stapling operation in 2007 slimmer and healthier than he had been for years.

He then just managed to qualify for the World Cup in South Africa, before surprising many with his team's flamboyant and goal-happy performances at the finals.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »
thanks, but fuck right off...

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »

Im off to read the column by that wet liberal George Tyndale now,

I've not read the Mercury for a couple of years now - does the Tyndale column still show him with a black bar across his eyes like he was in the frigging SAS?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal