collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner attacks Manchester City - Interview from today  (Read 29099 times)

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
Randy Lerner attacks Manchester City - Interview from today
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1303226/Randy-Lerner-attacks-Manchester-City-breaking-rules-James-Milner.html

Randy Lerner attacks 'big, bad Manchester City' for breaking rules on James Milner

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner last night launched an extraordinary verbal attack on Manchester City over the James Milner transfer saga.

Lerner accused City of ‘violating the rules’ through the persistent pressure they have brought to bear in order to take the England midfielder to Eastlands.

And in an exclusive interview with The Mail on Sunday, Lerner also indicated that caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald is a serious contender to succeed Martin O’Neill on a permanent basis.

Lerner said last night: ‘Big, bad Manchester City came along and asked for Milner and we said, “No, he is not for sale”. And under the rules you have to respect that. And Manchester City respected that for two whole days. And then they violated the rules and came in for him again.’

Lerner made it clear that he does not intend to make a formal complaint to the Football Association about City’s alleged conduct. Neither is he particularly keen to smooth the path for the £25million deal to be finalised.

He added: ‘Who knows if Milner is going to go? Kevin [MacDonald] just came up to me and said, “Ask for more money”.’

It was not obvious last night whether Lerner was simply joking or intended to do just that. City midfielder Stephen Ireland is supposed to be heading to Villa Park as part of that transfer deal.

Yesterday, Milner starred in Villa’s 3-0 demolition of West Ham and scored a spectacular final goal. He received a standing ovation from the Villa faithful for the way he had applied himself.

Indeed, the entire Villa team showed an extraordinary energy and desire to take control of the match from the start, as if previous manager O’Neill’s era was already history.

On that issue, Lerner said: ‘We saw the answer with the players, the way they went out today and played for each other, for Kevin and the supporters.

‘There are those managers who like the show and the attention — and then there are those such as Kevin.’

Lerner rejected suggestions that Villa are becoming a ‘selling club’ and that O’Neill’s departure was a result of the club’s perceived lack of ambition.

Lerner said: ‘We are not a selling club. A selling club is when you let it be known that you want to sell a player, through an agent or whatever.

That didn’t happen with Gareth Barry and it didn’t happen with James Milner either. As for Ashley Young, he was never going.’

Young gave another commanding performance that will have the likes of Tottenham interested yet again.

But Lerner said: ‘Look at the way Stiliyan Petrov played as well and Richard Dunne — in fact, everyone.’

Asked if the day’s events had given him food for thought with regard to MacDonald and the theory that he perhaps no longer needed to look outside

Villa Park for his new manager, Lerner said: ‘No, it wasn’t what happened today, I already had that “food”, it was already in my mind that Kevin might have it in him.

‘I’m not going to say it is in Kevin’s hands now and I would be disappointed if it was reported like that. But much will depend on how Kevin feels, whether he thinks this might be right for him, if he is comfortable with the idea of being Villa’s manager.

‘He is such a cool guy, he is popular with the players — who really played for him today — and with the fans and the press. We will see how he feels when he wakes up from this and then we will look at the situation from there.’

But Lerner ended with what might prove to be a telling observation. He said: ‘A so-called caretaker manager won Villa the European Cup — Tony Barton.’

Got to love that last comment.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Randy Lerner attacks Manchester City - Interview from today
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
I've never heard Randy sound so...what's the word, spiky? Might be a turn-on if if I was that way inclined.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1303226/Randy-Lerner-attacks-Manchester-City-breaking-rules-James-Milner.html

‘There are those managers who like the show and the attention — and then there are those such as Kevin.’

Spiky's the word.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 12:14:48 AM »
Well said, Randy, and food for thought for those who have turned so totally against the chairman in the last week.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »
Does anyone else get the feeling he might be deliberately antagonising Man City in an attempt to derail the Milner transfer.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:20:43 AM »
Does anyone else get the feeling he might be deliberately antagonising Man City in an attempt to derail the Milner transfer.

I hope he does.

Mainly because I'm sick to the tits of hearing people in the media defending O'Neill, by referring to how we've "become a selling club" - strange when we've sold, err, Nicky Shorey. I also don't remember them labelling Spurs a selling club for flogging Berbatov, or Arsenal for selling Adebayour to Man City.

It really fucks me off, and it makes me realise just how much we have come to be seen as Martin O'Neill's club rather than Aston Villa for the last couple of years.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:22:12 AM »
First it was some of the players, and then it was the General, now it’s the turn of Randy. It appears they are all lining up to have a dig at Mon. Excellent stuff.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 12:22:56 AM »
always had faith in Randy..     

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 12:30:10 AM »
Great interview!

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 12:32:47 AM »
Not too sure why they are allegedly protrayed as Big Bad Manchester City. Is their behaviour not the way most clubs try to attract a player that they want - Don't be put off by the first knock back, go back with an improved offer. Did we not do exactly the same when Milner was at Newcastle, we did not take the first knock back. By the way, Kevin MacDonald may be many things, but he is never Tony Barton Mark 2 - In my opinion, we won the European Cup despite Tony Barton being the manager, Ron Saunders built and fashioned the team. Kevin MacDonald has overseen ther development of the young players and had the opportunity to have senior players in his reserve team. Tony Barton never had that experience.
Much as I support Randy, I have not been happy at the partial character assassination of MON by the General and Randy's public pronouncements during this week. I am a great believer that there are always at least 2 sides to every story. I await hearing MON's side of events once his deal with the club is sorted out. I am not defending MON because I too was disillusioned with the brand of footbal played, certain players being untouchable and lack of substitutions / change of tactics when things were not going well. I just believe that we need to hear both sides and make our own minds up. Also let's see whether money is released for a top class striker as and when the Milner deal goes through.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:26 AM »
Big Kev mc is right "ask for more money"
Milner was ace today-also why would anyone not want to play in this beautiful flowing talented team?
Manc Citie were disjointed cobblers today

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:29 AM »
That is a brilliant interview and tells you everything you want to know about Randy, what a top bloke. Brilliant Chairman.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 12:42:08 AM »
"There are those managers who like the show and the attention — and then there are those such as Kevin.’

oof!!

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 01:24:28 AM »
Aside from the Man City issue, is this Randy trying to draw MON out into the open and nail what went on once and for all.  It may not have gone unnoticed by Randy that some supporters still have doubts about what happened and he wants them to make up their own minds and bring everybody back onside.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 01:28:26 AM »
Not too sure why they are allegedly protrayed as Big Bad Manchester City. Is their behaviour not the way most clubs try to attract a player that they want - Don't be put off by the first knock back, go back with an improved offer.

There is I believe an unwritten code of conduct between clubs. There is a difference between "No, that bid is not enough" and "No, the player isnt for sale, please do not ask again under any circumstances". When you say the latter, as I believe we did, you should not expect to hear from them again. Apparently Man City dont really care about codes of conduct and will just try and bully you into doing business with them and tapping up your players.

I hope Randy tells them to fuck off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal