collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Kevin MacDonald the next Manager???  (Read 58055 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Kevin MacDonald the next Manager???
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »
The folly of this idea can be demonstrated by the fact that had we lost 3-0 then no-one would be championing his appointment.

In other words, it's an instant reaction to one win.  And that's not a serious basis for deciding who should be the manager of a Premier League football club which has Champions League aspirations.
Agreed but that's not to say that KMcD can't be part of the set up, making the hand over more fluid, not to mention what he can offer to the team/manager. Both Arsenal (Pat Rice) and Chelsea (Clarke?) have successfully done something similar.

Absoluetly, but I think he already is part of the set up by making these players ready to step up. Thing is, he may not want to be in the spotlight, and some people like the behind the scenes work. Either way, he's deserved a chance given his time at the club to have a bigger say in first team matters if he wants to. That is hard to disgree with.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 06:33:42 PM »
The folly of this idea can be demonstrated by the fact that had we lost 3-0 then no-one would be championing his appointment.

In other words, it's an instant reaction to one win.  And that's not a serious basis for deciding who should be the manager of a Premier League football club which has Champions League aspirations.
Agreed but that's not to say that KMcD can't be part of the set up, making the hand over more fluid, not to mention what he can offer to the team/manager. Both Arsenal (Pat Rice) and Chelsea (Clarke?) have successfully done something similar.

Absoluetly, but I think he already is part of the set up by making these players ready to step up. Thing is, he may not want to be in the spotlight, and some people like the behind the scenes work. Either way, he's deserved a chance given his time at the club to have a bigger say in first team matters if he wants to. That is hard to disgree with.
From what he's said to date, I think he realises the Club are looking for a bigger name but he'd like to be involved. When asked whether or not he wanted the job he said something along the lines of "let me see how I feel after Saturday". I bet the fella is buzzing.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »
I meant to add to my earlier post that if Kevin MacDonald was made assistant manager he could help an incoming manager, particularly if he was foreign, as he knows the ropes having been with the club so long.  He could then learn about managing the 1st team as he would be sharing some of the duties.

Eventually, he could then move up to manager in the future, creating the continuity within the club.  This was something that MON never developed in the club by just having two coaches, rather than an assistant manager.  By having a manager and assistant that are not from 'the same pod', when one leaves the other can stay on.

Offline supertom

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 06:42:50 PM »
I would assume though any incoming manager will bring a backroom team with him. Don't see Macca being given a number 2 role. He may well do, but probably not. Hope whatever happens he remains at the club.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
I would assume though any incoming manager will bring a backroom team with him. Don't see Macca being given a number 2 role. He may well do, but probably not. Hope whatever happens he remains at the club.
I know new coaches like to bring in their own assistants but I'm not sure that extends to Reserve Team Coach.  I mean, MacDonald's still here isn't he - he didn't leave with Martin's cronies so he's part of the club.  I'm pretty confident he'd keep his coaching job under the new management team.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 06:56:58 PM »
just seen him interviewed on SSN, and he reminded me of Saunders.

i would prefer KM to more than 90% of those on the big poll list,
 but there are still those who i would pick before him,

the good news is we are in capable hands, and do not need to bring someone in on a panic arangment, so theres no excuse to get it wrong.

my first choice of Martinez is not showing good tonight, but my second of Holloway is looking champion

Offline manic-road

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 06:58:40 PM »
Too early to say whether he should get the job yet, but i hope he gets a few more games in the seat to see how the team develops.
Glad he is giving some of the youngsters a chance.

Offline H00513R

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
It's hard to say with only one game, but I voted yes as I hope he gets a few more to prove he belongs there. The players really seemed to respond to him. I wish he would have subbed A. Young a little earlier with a large lead, but overall great game.

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »
I wouldn't rush into getting a new manager for the sake of it.

We've watched  quite a few reserve games over the last couple of season and have thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment and watching the youngsters progress.

I don't know if he's the man for the job but I like watching his entertaining football.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »
I just don't think he's going to want the job on a permanent basis, I don't know why but I just don't think he will.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »
This is why I went for Klinsmann on the next manager vote.  I think he's 'green' enough to accept having Kev Mac as his assistant and taking a lot of advice from him, but he's also a big enough name for people to really take notice.  If things then go sour we move KM back into the top job but with a squad hopefully containing a few top rated youngsters from around europe to compliment our own.

Offline nechells

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2010, 07:21:23 PM »
My feeling is that we should not rush into bringing a new manager in just for the sake of it.

It is clear from the "next manager" thread that the difference of opinion ranges right across the spectrum-some like a certain manager and others wouldn't touch him with a barge pole & vice versa.-This tells me that there is no obvious choice out there as there was with the likes of BFR,Little & MON.

I would like to see McD kept on a temorary basis for a while-There is no point bringing someone in just for the sake of it.The dressing room is clearly a happier place & this showed with the teams performance today.

If things started to deteriate at some stage then we could bring a manager in at that time but remember that you can bring a manager in at any stage,unlike players.

As someone else said,it looks like a new manager is comming in but most on here will agree,that list is a crock of shite which is why there is such a differing of opinions.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »
Juan Pablo Angel posted this on twitter just:

Outstanding performance by Aston Villa! Delighted for Kevin McDonald he has done an incredible job for the Villa youngsters over the years!

Then
Kevin McDonald should be given an opportunity to be the Manager this season! He has done a tremendous job at Villa for many,many years!

So he's got JPA's vote. Top bloke

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »
just seen him interviewed on SSN, and he reminded me of Saunders.
I've just watched the BBC interview and thought exactly the same. The understated joy, wry smile, he just needed a long leather black coat.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
Juan Pablo Angel posted this on twitter just:

Outstanding performance by Aston Villa! Delighted for Kevin McDonald he has done an incredible job for the Villa youngsters over the years!

Then
Kevin McDonald should be given an opportunity to be the Manager this season! He has done a tremendous job at Villa for many,many years!

So he's got JPA's vote. Top bloke

Blimey.

I wouldn't mind at all .... he is a Villa man, he understands the game very very well.

Why not give him the role at least til Christmas on a 5 month contract, reveiwed then ?

Rather him than Sven and Bradley.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal