collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Kevin MacDonald the next Manager???  (Read 58236 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Kevin MacDonald the next Manager???
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »
Lets not rush into any hasty judgments. He has got them to produce a superb performance today but I think that is too little to judge on. I also think it is wrong however, to immediately discount him.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »
Let's not get carried away here. He didn't really coach them this week. This is more of a case of the clouds lifting than what KM was able to do. He's been a brilliant reserve team coach bringing the kids through. That's his strength. I want a proven manager. We're not Wigan or Stoke where we can take those chances.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »
% game minimum, let's see how we get on against the bigger teams first.

That said, it was great today considering how many times over the past few seasons how we've played against West Ham and how those games turned out.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 05:35:41 PM »
Let's not get carried away here. He didn't really coach them this week. This is more of a case of the clouds lifting than what KM was able to do. He's been a brilliant reserve team coach bringing the kids through. That's his strength. I want a proven manager. We're not Wigan or Stoke where we can take those chances.

Agree 100%.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 05:40:54 PM »
Great performance and a great team selection.
But, one game does not make a premiership manager.
I still think a proven manager is the way to go.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »
SuperMac should retire now - with a 100% record.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 05:54:11 PM »
Agree 85%. He's been coaching them since they returned from their summer break.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »

Not as manager, which ultimately is a very different animal when the buck stops with you. It's a very different level of pressure, and Villa is a big club with demanding expectations. He's never managed before at any level, so to throw him in at such a big club could drown him. I'd sooner he kept doing what he's doing becaue he's superb at that.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 06:03:42 PM »

Not as manager, which ultimately is a very different animal when the buck stops with you. It's a very different level of pressure, and Villa is a big club with demanding expectations. He's never managed before at any level, so to throw him in at such a big club could drown him. I'd sooner he kept doing what he's doing becaue he's superb at that.
What are you going on about? I agreed with you, I just added that he's been working with the players this summer, so obviously it's not like he hasn't seen them/coached them. I'd like to see him as number 2 to whoever we bring in and after today, I think it will be difficult for him to step back down to the Reserves again.

Offline supertom

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »
Why not? He'd not have so much pressure. I think us lot would give him a seasons slack, unless it went disastrously wrong, which I don't believe it will. At reserve level he's done brilliantly. I know experience is an issue, but he knows the stiffs well, and the youngsters. He probably has the respect of everyone at Villa for the job he does.

Most of all, today I just loved the way we played football. Our movement looked better, and the players actually seemed to know what they were doing. We expressed ourselves in a game against a team that pretty much left one up front all game. Last season against a low end park the bus team at Villa park, we'd have laboured and struggled. Not today.

We passed it, moved it. Not so much aimless running and expulsion of energy. Petrov was allowed to conserve himself well over 90 minutes, rather than burnout, and he ran the game.

Who else is around? No one to really excite. Why not give him a go? He might have a really positive impact, like JG did. Obviously JG's steam ran out and teams figured him out. That may also happen. But recruiting from within may work wonders for us. The young talent is there, with some good seniors, and Kev knows them better than any incoming boss.

Offline achilles

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 06:17:38 PM »
If a top-class manager is not available, then why not till the end of the season.

As most people point out, you don't make decisions after one game, good or bad!

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
The folly of this idea can be demonstrated by the fact that had we lost 3-0 then no-one would be championing his appointment.

In other words, it's an instant reaction to one win.  And that's not a serious basis for deciding who should be the manager of a Premier League football club which has Champions League aspirations.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »

What are you going on about? I agreed with you, I just added that he's been working with the players this summer, so obviously it's not like he hasn't seen them/coached them. I'd like to see him as number 2 to whoever we bring in and after today, I think it will be difficult for him to step back down to the Reserves again.

I'm going on about the 15% that disagreed with me on, which is neither here nor there. Let's not make this into a drama. We're both saying the same thing. I'm just saying coaching and managing is different, especially when he's mainly been coaching the kids, and not the first team.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
The folly of this idea can be demonstrated by the fact that had we lost 3-0 then no-one would be championing his appointment.

In other words, it's an instant reaction to one win.  And that's not a serious basis for deciding who should be the manager of a Premier League football club which has Champions League aspirations.
Agreed but that's not to say that KMcD can't be part of the set up, making the hand over more fluid, not to mention what he can offer to the team/manager. Both Arsenal (Pat Rice) and Chelsea (Clarke?) have successfully done something similar.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 06:26:40 PM »

I'm going on about the 15% that disagreed with me on, which is neither here nor there. Let's not make this into a drama. We're both saying the same thing. I'm just saying coaching and managing is different, especially when he's mainly been coaching the kids, and not the first team.
The Reserves not the kids. (winky)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal