collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 10:33:43 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:33:34 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:31:35 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 10:26:27 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:07:52 PM]

150 celebrations by curiousorange
[Today at 10:05:45 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:31:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bannan has his say  (Read 15306 times)

Offline levico

Re: Bannan has his say
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 11:54:46 AM »
A heady mix of naivety and refreshing honesty from the young lad.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 12:04:05 PM »
I don't think it was any secret that certain players like Davies and Shorey, who had been frozen out,  had little regard for O'Neill and understanably so if the bit of ITK that I was privy to over the last few seasons is anything to go by.   And I've been saying on here for quite some time that I didn't buy the myth of the "witty, urbane, intelligent" Martin O'Neill, I always saw a snide, condescending, over sensitive egotist beneath the surface.  It's not revisionism, it's just his true colours finally being revealed.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »
I don't think it was any secret that certain players like Davies and Shorey, who had been frozen out,  had little regard for O'Neill and understanably so if the bit of ITK that I was privy to over the last few seasons is anything to go by.   And I've been saying on here for quite some time that I didn't buy the myth of the "witty, urbane, intelligent" Martin O'Neill, I always saw a snide, condescending, over sensitive egotist beneath the surface.  It's not revisionism, it's just his true colours finally being revealed.

WORD

Online Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 01:02:11 PM »

It's usual to the point of predictability that players who were not playing under a manager wouldn't be liking him all that much and are happy he's gone.  Should similar comments be made by the likes of Ash or Petrov, players who were playing, then that shows a problem existed. 

Online Mellin

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
In fairness to greg he did say MON wanted to go to Liverpool.

The way things have ended up, I wish he had.

I was saying at the time I was hoping he'd go and we could then perhaps get Hodgson in. Didn't think it would turn out this badly if he stayed (for the time being), though.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »
i think Liverpool were very interested in MON, but were a bit taken aback with the out cry from Liverpool fans,

they were swamping the radio stations and forums with stuff about 'long ball' and shit football, saying they wouldnt put up with it.

Was that the long ball shite we used at their place last season when we had an easy win?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »
Let's be honest here. I have heard a few ITK snippets that suggest that MON threw himself at Liverpool like a French tart at a German soldier.

I think he was very surprised not to get that job. I hadn't heard of any contact from Dalglish mind.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »
As much as I hate(d) O'Neill, Bannan is dreaming if he thinks he'll become a regular in The Villa team, or any other Premier team for that matter.

Offline Merv

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 02:47:19 PM »
It's usual to the point of predictability that players who were not playing under a manager wouldn't be liking him all that much and are happy he's gone.  Should similar comments be made by the likes of Ash or Petrov, players who were playing, then that shows a problem existed. 

It does, and it's no surprise to hear these players talking. But I think it's symptomatic of the growing problem with O'Neill that six players, all of whom he signed and paid decent money for, very quickly found themselves all but frozen out of the picture. Not just out of the starting X1, out of the squad or deployed as token subs. I think he was struggling with a lot of his players.

Bannan? I can't see him having a starring role but he might be useful as an option wide left as a sub or less important games; I'd rather we used him a little more than chased McGeady for £10m, anyway.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
Talk about being taken out of context. The guy has just said the situation literally from his point of view. No doubt a newspaper will print it with the headline "Jock Starlet In O'Neill Blast".

I'm a Bannan fan footballing-wise, he just needs to get his head sorted out. That going clubbing with a broken toe at Blackpool last year did him absolutely no favours whatsoever, but hopefully he can take this new opportunity. Something tells me MON's obsession with the physicality of the league was holding him back, showing up again that perhaps he wasn't as tactically mindful as he should be.

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 05:16:23 PM »
I don't think the fact that 3 players who MON didnt play because they weren't good enough having a go at him now means a whole lot.

And how would Barry Bannan, who was at loan at Blackpool, know how close he was or wasn't to joining Liverpool?

Yep, I can understand these players are frustrated but I don't think they should've got much more football than they did last season.

Shorey - dropped after a string of poor performances and replaced after Warnock was signed.
Davies - still potentially a good footballer, but our defence performed solidly all season making it difficult to justify putting him in the team. Perhaps should've got a chance when the team began to tire towards the end of the season.
Bannan - Could be a good prospect but he couldn't really have expected much more than the odd substitute appearance last season. Would expect to see more of him this season though.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 05:56:10 PM »
A prob

l

Problems existed alright.  Those who were guaranteed starters even if comatose are hardly likely to complain about it though are they. 

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
It's funny looking at the difference to the reactions when the likes of Sorenson and Berger spoke out after they left, to the various not good enough players who are in the press now.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 09:41:36 PM »
Shorey can go fuck himself, he's just joined the Albion for fucks sake, the first case of a rat joining a sinking ship.

If we're a "sinking ship", then this poor man's Alan Wright is jumping off the Titanic straight onto the Mary fucking Celeste.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »
*Cloughie stereotype alert* Could be that he viewed us as a somewhat bigger Nottingham Forest and the challenge was to upset the natural order. And for the first 18 months-2 years that was motivation enough.

Agree with your latter point though.

I believed this was his motivation, and why I felt he would see the job through if it broke him.

I was wrong, and he can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal