collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Doug Ellis Role: from The General C. Krulak Thread XV  (Read 13135 times)

Offline garyfouroaks

Re: Doug Ellis Role: from The General C. Krulak Thread XV
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 11:24:59 AM »
Doug Ellis would be the ideal bloke to give advice on appointment of a new manager as he could help with preparation of the subsequent exit strategy (sacking) as well.

ouch

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »
Bloody hell. Cut the wages, sell to buy, can't compete with the big clubs, Doug picking the manager. Let's do the time warp again...
Made me chuckle Chris...nice one.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
If Doug advised the next Taylor, Atkinson or Little I'd be quite happy.
On the other hand...DOL and Dr Jo.  Mind you HDE did recruit MON

He also appointed Ron Saunders. Gregory looked an inspired choice for a couple of years. A few mistakes but he probably had more successes to be fair. And appointing Dr Jo was years ahead of its time - it didnt work but then it may not have had enough time.

If the Chief Exec doesnt know enough about the game to be able to appoint a suitable manager, or to seek appropriate external advice,  then something is wrong.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 12:47:09 PM »
I dont think I could stand Doug banging on about how he helped choose another Villa manger.

Offline jembob

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »
I don't understand why hiring a football manager should be beyond the capability of Randy and his team. It's very simplistic to assume that just because he hasn't (directly) done it before then he should not be able to do it now.

Randy is a top level operator and will know exactly how to proceed in this situation. While the ultimate decision may be his, I am certain that he will have done due diligence on the next appointee and will know exactly what he's getting.

As for Doug, he may have some useful input and Randy may ask his opinion out of respect but I can't see that he would add much that Randy would not be aware of. Managing Villa is a top job, and any worthwhile candidates that would be interested would certainly make their interest known to the club, whether available or not.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 01:01:07 PM »
I don't understand why hiring a football manager should be beyond the capability of Randy and his team.

Ask the Cleveland Browns fans - as I understand it he doesn't have a great track record with his selection of coaches there, and I would guess he knows a lot more about that sport than proper Football.  I like Randy a lot but this is a doubt I have about him. 

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 01:25:20 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that Sir Graham Taylor had offered his services in offering Randy any advice when it comes to the appointment of a new manager, or any other footballing matter. (This was around the time it was rumoured MoN was quitting back in March).

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »
I think the man he appoints will tell us a lot about his vision for the future and where we can expect to be in a few years time.

Bob Bradley - cheap option and keeps us afloat with a reasonable amount of cash.  A sign future investment will be restricted and that Martin may have been right to leave.  Expect mid table mediocrity.

Sven (and maybe Martin Jol as well) - wants to keep things pretty much as they are amd will keep building the club.  We'll aim for Europe each season and have an outside chance of 4th.  Pretty much as we are now.

An unexpected top manager - he won't be coming in to do anything other than reach the CL.  Expect continued investment in the squad and would show MON to be a prat for leaving.

As it goes, I expect someone on the Sven/Jol level.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 01:40:32 PM »
I don't get why Randy's experience in picking a new football manager should have a bearing. There are lots of chairman with tons more so called "experience" who fuck up the picking manager process every time they do it. It is naive to think Randy is going into this blindly. He's had a hand in selecting numerous coaches and executives for thr Browns so he'll have an idea on what's required with us. I'm sure he picks up the paper, browses the web, and watches Sky like the rest of us and will be able to get a decent impression of what's good or bad in conjunction with the adivice he may be getting from around him.

As for Doug's role, off course he should be consulted. Like I said above, he's got tons of experience, and he's made some great choices in that time along with some really poor ones.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »
it's a strange one this-reading the quote they seem to be pertaining to not being familiar with the accepted procedure.
Ringing around other clubs asking "is your manager frustrated with the new financial constraints of football?"
"can we ask him to come here to be just as frustrated?" may not work too well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:49:16 PM by BILL DE VALL »

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »
you'd imagine doug would stick his oar in anyway, whether randy asked him for advice or not!

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »
I see no harm in asking Doug his opinion on managers. He has signed a few good ones after all.
Yeah right...he also sacked most of`em, which suggests his judgement was not quite right in the first place.

when it came time to sack them he had probably forgotten that he hired them

Offline sfx412

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
Lerner's never picked a football manager in his life. He knows less about football than most people on here

I think people really underestimate two things concerning Lerners football knowledge.
Firstly he has watched and supported the game at all sorts of levels for some years, he didn't start watching it when he took over Villa.
Secondly he moves in circles where he can have contact, and I'm sure does have contact with people who really know more about football than most anyone on this site and most anywhere else.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »
SFX
Firstly he has watched and supported the game at all sorts of levels for some years, he didn't start watching it when he took over Villa.

Satrted following Villa in 1982 or thereabouts? Dunno about you, but I reckon I know more about Villa and football than Randy. He obviously nows more about the business of Villa than me and you though

SFX
Secondly he moves in circles where he can have contact, and I'm sure does have contact with people who really know more about football than most anyone on this site and most anywhere else.

People like Ellis, for example?

I'm not having a go at him at all, just suggesting - as you seem to be doing - that he takes advice when it's offered.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 04:05:35 PM »
We got Sir Graham on a tip-off from a retired shopkeeper. It would be daft to ignore pertinent advice from any quarter.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal