collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:16:54 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:08:40 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Curtis Davies puts the knife in.  (Read 13824 times)

Offline Villa'Zawg

Re: Curtis Davies puts the knife in.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »
Can't see a way back for him, given his contract position and the need to cut spending. Shocking we paid more for him than Man United did for Evra and Vidic. Transfer masterstroke that one. :o

Haven't you heard Greg? Wages are the new transfer fee and those two are believed to be on at least £75k per week.

Edit: Mutters... must use preview, must use preview...

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »
At his best Davies is probably a more talented player than either Collins or Cuellar.  However, he is sloppy, and prone to too many mistakes, so I'd rather have 90 minutes of somebody playing at 90% of his ability in Cuellar say, then 80 minutes at 100%, and 10 minutes at 50%, if that makes any sense.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »
At his best Davies is probably a more talented player than either Collins or Cuellar.  However, he is sloppy, and prone to too many mistakes, so I'd rather have 90 minutes of somebody playing at 90% of his ability in Cuellar say, then 80 minutes at 100%, and 10 minutes at 50%, if that makes any sense.

It makes absolute sense, and I agree 100%.

He's looked good for six months, out of three years so far. The other three centre backs have been far more consistant.

Offline eastie

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »
Thankfully o neill has gone and players can all start from scratch- just heard coppell has quit after one game , didn't he do that at man city once-strange man!

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
Thankfully o neill has gone and players can all start from scratch- just heard coppell has quit after one game , didn't he do that at man city once-strange man!

I don't think you've thought through all of the potential implications.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »

Oliver Kay says he's retiring from football  full stop.  Phew.

I don't think you've thought through all of the potential implications.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »
Of all the players with no excuse for being sidelined Curtis Davies has least to complain about.   His performances by his own admission have ranged from passable with the help of his other competent centre backs to downright "pub football" (his words not mine).   Others - NRC, Sidwell, Luke Young - have a case for being unfairly sidelined but Davies never made the grade.   Martin O'Neill's mistake in his case was paying way, way over the odds for him.

Any player who wants to be taken seriously when trying to use the media to his own advantage should surely have a better command of language than to refer to his coach or manager as "the gaffer" a term in common use in the era of tight perms and even tighter shorts.

The tighter shorts were indeed a sartorial abomination and probably deleterious to  blood flow to the genitalia, but what are we to make of the long shorts or short longs in vogue today? 

On TV, I have seen John Terry wearing shorts which conjoin with his socks, which have been pulled up to his knees.

Ghastly. Quite ghastly.

I blame USA basketball. Cultural imperialism innit.

Awesome.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »
We need at least 4 centre halves to be in with a fighting chance, so I definitely would like to keep Curtis...but would Randy??

That's the question...

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
Can't see a way back for him, given his contract position and the need to cut spending. Shocking we paid more for him than Man United did for Evra and Vidic. Transfer masterstroke that one. :o

He also cost over £40m less than Lescott and Toure.

There's a very good defender in there somwehere. It's his big chance on saturday keep others out of the team.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »
If there is a clause that triggers a new deal when he plays his 50th league game, I don't see a problem with that. We just give him one that's worth less per week. Simples.

Yep. The clause states that he can re-negotiate his contract after he has played 60 games. He's on 25k a week at the moment. I'd let him play his 60th game and then halve the offer. See how desperate to play he really is. 

I don't see the point in driving away a good player who has already cost us a fair bit in transfer fee and wages when he is one of the lower paid of the first team squad and also has the potential to be a very good asset for us.   30-35k is not excessive for a PL player in a top 6 squad so it would seem sensible to offer him that, with add ons if we break the top 4 or he  becomes a regular England international.  Of course it all depends on whether the new coach wants him or not.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
If he is fit, it will be interesting to see if he plays and triggers the pay rise. If we still want to sell him, it will be easier if he is earning less. If we want to keep him, then we will need to put the cash up.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
There's a good player in there somewhere and I hope he now proves it.

I agree, but he's made a rod for his own back now. A combination of factors led to him losing his place and a drop in form. He's only got himself to blame if he can't impress the new manager.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »
Curtis was given more chances by MON than most throughout his Villa career I reckon.

Which is what you'd expect after spending a ridiculous £9m on him.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
To Be frank, isn't everyone's first choice pairing Carlos and Dunne with Luke at RB? I do agree that there is a great player in there somewhere, he did well when Zat Knight hit dodgy form, but Laursen and Mellberg also made him look better than he was.

If Jimbo's going to be as good as he was in his first 15 games last season, the Curtis wont get a look in unless it's early cup rounds.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
Curtis need to work hard, keep his head down and perform when called up and do his best to keep Cuellar, Clark and Collins off the starting 11 (assuming Dunne is playing)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal