collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Curtis Davies puts the knife in.  (Read 13823 times)

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Curtis Davies puts the knife in.
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:01:01 AM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/10/aston-villa-martin-oneill-sven

Out-of-favour central Curtis Davies has claimed he was one of several players not given a fair crack of the whip by O'Neill. Davies was one of six players made available for transfer this summer.

He said: "I was shocked about Martin O'Neill going. I got home, got a text that the gaffer resigned, and it was true. I didn't see it coming to be honest. But a lot of players have been frustrated by not having a fair crack of the whip and I'm one of them.

"There is no guarantee whoever comes in is going to play you or not play you. But if you feel you have got a chance, then you are happy. As long as someone who comes in who is fair, I am sure people will be happy. I felt I didn't have a chance."

Offline Apyadg

Re: Curtis Davies puts the knife in.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:32:28 AM »
I can't see that doing anything but irritating the new manager before they even walk through the door. Not a smart move.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:42:09 AM »
All he has done is told the truth, there wasn't a level playing field and there were favorites. I like his honesty, remember the pub team quote?

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 08:16:39 AM »
Can he explain where he was going to play .......... I think most supporters would tell him he was not even third choice .......... my guess is his attitude was not great in training hence not making the bench ...plus if injuries had taken place during a game CC was already on the pitch

Curtis is best off moving on ...... he has simply not proved himself to be a top six club player in the Prem

Offline willywombat

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
I think Curtis could be a top player with some decent coaching. I know I'm probably in the minority but I would really like him to stay and fight for his place

Offline nechells

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 08:24:45 AM »
They're just quoting interveiws from Sky

Offline shaef

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 08:28:42 AM »
I thought he wasn't being played because one more appearance would trigger a further payment to West Brom.  If he was first choice it would be worth it, but as a back up who wouldn't play week in week out probably doesn't seem a sensible action for a manager. So for the odd match he might have been picked for he was overlooked.  New manager may he's worth the outlay.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »
I think Curtis could be a top player with some decent coaching. I know I'm probably in the minority but I would really like him to stay and fight for his place

Your not the only one. I still think he can go all the way to the very top with  decent management. I think he was frozen out in part for non-footballing reasons, MON couldnt stand players who have a mind of their own and are willing to express it. Brian Clough`s relationship with MON as a player comes to mind, the difference is Clough knew how to use and get the best out of him. 

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:36:22 AM »
I'm another one who would like to see Curtis Davies stay around (funny contractual payment  doo-dahs notwithstanding). He's a good player, and with the right coaching could be a very useful asset for us indeed.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 08:38:20 AM »
I thought he wasn't being played because one more appearance would trigger a further payment to West Brom.

i think he has a clause that if he makes so many appearances it will trigger a pay rise/ revised contract. i remember his agent moaning about it in the papers.

Offline shaef

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
I thought he wasn't being played because one more appearance would trigger a further payment to West Brom.

i think he has a clause that if he makes so many appearances it will trigger a pay rise/ revised contract. i remember his agent moaning about it in the papers.

You're right, I suppose the consequence is similar though, in that it could cost the club disproportionately for a player who isn't going to feature very often.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:03:05 AM »
"Out of favour player knows better than the manager" shock.

Given the money that we paid for him,I too would like him to come good. Did MON freeze him out? Or has he succumbed to the Moore Bros' "Too much to young" syndrome? I just don't know.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:09:26 AM »
Of all the players with no excuse for being sidelined Curtis Davies has least to complain about.   His performances by his own admission have ranged from passable with the help of his other competent centre backs to downright "pub football" (his words not mine).   Others - NRC, Sidwell, Luke Young - have a case for being unfairly sidelined but Davies never made the grade.   Martin O'Neill's mistake in his case was paying way, way over the odds for him.

Any player who wants to be taken seriously when trying to use the media to his own advantage should surely have a better command of language than to refer to his coach or manager as "the gaffer" a term in common use in the era of tight perms and even tighter shorts.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 09:14:46 AM »
brian green  wrote: Any player who wants to be taken seriously when trying to use the media to his own advantage should surely have a better command of language than to refer to his coach or manager as "the gaffer" a term in common use in the era of tight perms and even tighter shorts.

Come on Brian, give the bloke a break :)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 09:20:27 AM »
Can he explain where he was going to play .......... I think most supporters would tell him he was not even third choice .......... my guess is his attitude was not great in training hence not making the bench ...plus if injuries had taken place during a game CC was already on the pitch

Curtis is best off moving on ...... he has simply not proved himself to be a top six club player in the Prem

It's quite simple, he should have been one of the first choice centre backs, as he was a couple of season ago, where he played very well until the shoulder injury, and in my view definitely looked a top 6 standard player.   He's got pace and intelligence and would make a great foil/partner for Dunne, as he did alongside Laursen.  It's been a little bit difficult for him to prove his ability recently as his stubborn, grudge holding manager wouldn't play him.  He played through injury to help O'Neill out and was treated appallingly in return.  All because his agent tried to invoke a pre-agreed, contracted pay rise and O''Neill didn't like it.  Davies is yet another victim of O'Neill putting his own petty prejudices ahead of the good of Aston Villa FC, the culmination of which was him walking out 5 days before the first match of the season.  I fully agree with Williy Wombat's and Andy Lochead's second post, Davies an be a very good player for us and I hope he stays.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal