collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Martin O'Neill thread (with added sacking #2188)  (Read 316884 times)

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
Re: The Martin O'Neill thread (with added sacking #2188)
« Reply #2865 on: August 05, 2016, 07:42:25 AM »
Much as I hate O'Neill for his walkout, I can't blame him for what went on more than a couple of years after he left. By then we should have been on the road to recovery and even if the finances were knackered what money there was available should have been used better.

For sure, that's spot on. However, I think O'Neill deserves a lot of blame for wasting our best chance at breaking into the top tier for a generation.

Depends what you define as a generation but I'd argue HDE takes that honour for repeatedly missing much better chances throughout the 90s.

I would say both had the opportunity.  MON had the chance with the money he was given and HDE had the chance if he had allowed mangers to spend a bit more money.

Would the likes of Ron Atkinson and as much as it pains me to say it Brian Little also have to shoulder some of the blame?

Atkinson's team fell away badly in a short space of time, his lack of commitment to his job maybe the biggest factor as it was at United

Little had a young exciting team with some great experienced pros too. Destroyed the team by bringing in that charlatan SVC and it very quickly unraveled for Little afterwards.

HDE ran the club like a corner shop but the likes of Martin Edwards and other owners werent exactly throwing cash at their managers either back then.
I may be getting my facts mixed up here but i`m sure i read somewhere that signing was made over his head and he had no real say in it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal